Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,548 times

Advertisements

I'm just moved down here from Brooklyn, NY and my family and I LOVE it. You can't beat the beaches and everywhere I go, whether I'm walking downtown or driving to the beach, I find myself admiring the beautiful view. I'm not worried about 'the South'. The people are great. There are bad apples everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM

17 posts, read 60,878 times
OMG! in 2009?!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Education and Ethnicity.
Okay, could you please tell me how the education and ethnicity differ from the north and south along coastal towns or cities not too far from the coast?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You know the difference between north and south -- the weather.
I'm looking to live in an area not too far from the coast on the East Coast where there is a long spring and falls season. It would be nice if it were a small town, or one close to a city that had culture. I am a teacher in my mid-50's and still have a child at home (8th grade). I don't want to fight the traffic, nor drive on busy highways, so I would like a place to live where airline tickets are cheap, train travel is prevalent up the coast to NYC and the New England area.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam7 View Post
I'm a transplant. I moved down from Vermont in 2000 to attend the College of Charleston, and I didn't want to go back. I still love VT/ME, and go back every summer, but I don't see myself actually moving back there. I too have started to see the southerners mindset about transplants coming down here, I guess I'm getting assimilated myself.

And an example of some people's mindsets:
I've been dating my girlfriend for 2 years now. We've been talking about marriage. She grew up where her parents grew up, in rural upstate SC. She is slightly more enlightened than her parents as she got her Masters from MUSC and spent a few years in Charleston. Her parents do not want her to marry me because I'm a yankee. In fact, in a heated discussion at one point her mother said to her "If you marry that boy your father said he is not coming to the wedding". That was three months ago. I'd like to think I'm growing on them, but who knows.

Other than that, I've felt nothing but love down here. People are absolutely more mannered and polite, but you will still get a few jerks. Prepare to slow down though, things do not move quickly down here. Another example would be in the grocery store. You will be waiting in line for quite a while. Sometimes the customers strike up a conversation with the cashier, or with eachother, or maybe there just aren't enough registers open. Get used to it, accept it, and you'll get along just fine.

Oh, and one more thing. This is the bible belt, prepare yourself for it. When I was at CofC we literally had a guy standing on a milk crate on the corner bible thumping. Kids in class get into heated religious discussion when the topic has nothing to do with it. I still haven't quite figured out the best way to deal with this sort of thing, and maybe I never will.

There, my first post here was a doozy.
Question: I currently live in the Bible belt...Springfield, Missouri. I grew up in this area, left for 21 years and returned. I love the conservatism, traditional beliefs, family values and how so many people are strong Christians. However, I love the beach and the ocean and would like to move to the East Coast, a small town, outside a larger city like I grew up.

I am in my mid-50's and have a 14-year-old daughter, with the oldest daughter starting college this year out of state. Both, it seems, are headed towards NYC in this decade. I want to live where there is a long spring and a long fall season (weather in the 70's or low 80's) and very little winter.

Do you have any suggestions?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Dealwith what?? religion and people having views other than your own? Thats what America is, its not just all like VT where the liberal mindset and closeted religion or no religion prevails. Get used to it it is what America was founded on, Freedom of Religion, to practice publicly and privately ones religion or NOT to practice.

not sure what you have to make of it, its what the world outside of the northeast is like
Do you honestly not see how this statement is an insult? Really?? Stop being so judgmental of other people while pretending to be sticking up for freedom of choice.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM

52 posts, read 126,978 times
In my opinion (and I say this so criticism can be kept to yourself), there is a huge difference between the north and south. I am from about as far north as you can go without living in Canada. I thought our state was backwoods and behind the times. We left to move to a warmer climate and get out of the snow.
We have now learned some differences between the north and south. Dont be different in the south, that includes being white, being from the north, being a hard worker, etc. You will be judged in every step you take. Racism is alive in the south. Don't expect your kids to be safe, especially in the schools, with the teachers, etc. My son was assaulted by 4 teachers in the school and he was only 8 at the time. (no he did not threaten or touch anyone, they grabbed him first) You have to be careful even stopping at a convenience store, the level of crime is high here. Don't expect fast service, everything is done slow here and if you try to speed it up you are considered rude. Don't expect not to have religion in your face 24/7, churches on every street corner, prayer at places of employment, and constant questioning of what church do you belong to and did you give money to your church. Don't believe the civil war actually ended, confederate flags and garbage are still actively used in the south.
So as we return to our home state.....we are doing it for the right reasons. We want our children to live a safe life, grow up to be open and receiving of everyone, to gain an excellent education, and learn how to be hard workers.
It is important for everyone considering such a drastic move, you can not change how you were raised and you can not change how other people were raised. It is important to consider for those that have kids, do you want them raised with your values or someone else's because no matter how much you continue your values in your home, what they will learn in school and in the community they live will be very powerful.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
See Ya.....

Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsMcL View Post
Hi Everyone. I am from beautiful (no really, I swear, it's beautiful) New Jersey Shore. I am considering moving down to South Carolina for graduate school and then permanently to the Charleston/Summerville area. To prepare me for this move I have been non stop searching these forums. Everything sounds great, except EVERYONE says "just know that you can't change the South", "Don't expect to move down here and have everything running like you're used to", etc. etc.

My question is what is this huge difference? The most I found was that some parts of SC, the banks are closed on the weekends. I think I can handle that! I know the pace is slower, but I'm not moving anywhere rural - it would be on the coast (I live 1 block from beach my whole life, and can't imagine not being within at most an hour of it).

Do people still fly confederate flags or something? Do they look down on interracial relationships? I've been down numerous times. My Grandparents live on the OBX and the only huge difference I notice is the driving and pace. Thanks to everyone in advance.
i am from Mt Pleasant SC living now in Philadelphia and i can tell you there are many differences. the rudeness of many people in NJ and the northeast is not found there in SC. sure there will always be an exception to the rule but for the most part the people are more open, kinder, more conservative socially and politically, more church going,

Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Do you honestly not see how this statement is an insult? Really?? Stop being so judgmental of other people while pretending to be sticking up for freedom of choice.
how is it an insult? no more an insult than the way northerners think they are superior or that they have no racism or poverty or issues to deal with. Deal with it, is correct, if one doesnt like our flag being flown, our easier way of life, our conservatism, our traditional family values or our strong biblical christianity then stay away, dont come, dont jersey the the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area