Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM

146 posts, read 334,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No, but you don't see these other people still crying years later, Jews don't look for special handouts and preferential treatment just because of the ghastly things the Nazis did, or the years the Egyptians enslave their entire populace. There isn't a group like the NAACP or Rainbow Push that comes down hard on companies and extorts money from them so that they don't threaten to accuse them of wrong doing.

Slavery was bad, and if there was a living human being in this country who was enslaved then I could see them having a gripe.

If you are born poor in this country that isn't your fault, if you remain that way it is, and I give our 44th president as a shining example....
There's so much wrong with your post.

1) Jews got a "special handout" after WWII- Israel.

2) Racism didn't end when slavery was eliminated- segregation reinforced the poor treatment of African-Americans by whites, and more importantly perpetuated the idea that there are fundamental differences between people based on the pigmentation of their skin.

3) Institutional racism is a very real thing- look at prison stats, wage stats, unemployment stats. In Charleston the unemployment rate for African-Americans is 10% higher than it is for whites. Economic success has much more to do with whose hole you popped out of than it does with the amount of hard work you put it. Sociologists studying these issues found that a lot of African-American youth were actually discouraged from going to college b/c their older, college-educated relatives had been shut out of jobs they were qualified for due to latent racist attitudes prevalent in the '60s and '70s. There's a lot of ground to cover before the playing field is equaled.

4) The exception doesn't disprove the rule.

5) With the unemployment rate creeping up near 10%, the old libertarian lie that only the lazy are poor is really being exposed for what it is- plenty of hard-working people are finding themselves jobless right now through no fault of their own, and plenty of people who busted their asses in college are now finding that the jobs they trained for don't exist.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automated View Post

3) Institutional racism is a very real thing- look at prison stats, wage stats, unemployment stats. In Charleston the unemployment rate for African-Americans is 10% higher than it is for whites. Economic success has much more to do with whose hole you popped out of than it does with the amount of hard work you put it. Sociologists studying these issues found that a lot of African-American youth were actually discouraged from going to college b/c their older, college-educated relatives had been shut out of jobs they were qualified for due to latent racist attitudes prevalent in the '60s and '70s. There's a lot of ground to cover before the playing field is equaled.

1) Ever hear of "40 acres & a mule"? Reparations come in all forms.

3) Read the first bold part and then read the second bold part. 2+2...in your own words. As far as prison stats being racist...come now. A crime is a crime no matter the color of your skin.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
All I know is that as a white straight male, I will never know what it is like to be discrimminated against due to race, gender, or sexuality. The cards are already stacked in my favor from birth. Does that mean it is all rainbows and cotton candy for me-no. Even though I don't know what it is like, I can still try to see what it might be like from another vantage point. I don't believe that advocating for social justice and equal treatment is whining or complaining. As long as there is an inequity of power and resources (and just because we have a black president now doesn't mean it doesn't exist), I see nothing wrong with social advocacy. Not everyone has the same history.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automated View Post

2) Racism didn't end when slavery was eliminated- segregation reinforced the poor treatment of African-Americans by whites, and more importantly perpetuated the idea that there are fundamental differences between people based on the pigmentation of their skin.

4) The exception doesn't disprove the rule.

5) With the unemployment rate creeping up near 10%, the old libertarian lie that only the lazy are poor is really being exposed for what it is- plenty of hard-working people are finding themselves jobless right now through no fault of their own, and plenty of people who busted their asses in college are now finding that the jobs they trained for don't exist.
1.) This makes up for nearly 6 million jew being mass murdered?

2.) This gives them the reason to want preferential treatment a hundred years later?

3.) Crime is crime, don't do the crime if you can't do the time regaurdless of the color of your skin, MLK: judged by the character of your heart not the color of your skin....

4.) What exception????

5.) If you job was ellimanated, it is your responcibility to retrain for a new job not mine to retrain you or listen to your belly aching about it, check the job sites they are chock full of jobs, people are just too lazy to go out and improve their education and get a better job, that makes it their fault not mine......

Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
1) Ever hear of "40 acres & a mule"? Reparations come in all forms.

3) Read the first bold part and then read the second bold part. 2+2...in your own words. As far as prison stats being racist...come now. A crime is a crime no matter the color of your skin.
A crime is a crime, but having worked with the criminal justice system in the past what I have noticed is that there is an imbalance of convictions for some of the lesser crimes. I have seen more alternative sentencing options for people who were white, and more arrests for blacks all around for calls that were made for the same or similar crimes. There also seemed to be a lot less options for representation due to the high poverty rate of inner city black people in the Birmingham area. Another thing to consider is the fact that because so much police activity is in the neighborhoods with high poverty, and the officers are more guarded, the likelihood of arrests for petty and sometimes even non-crimes (loitering, appearing "suspicious", etc.) increases astonomically.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
All I know is that as a white straight male, I will never know what it is like to be discrimminated against due to race, gender, or sexuality. The cards are already stacked in my favor from birth. Does that mean it is all rainbows and cotton candy for me-no. Even though I don't know what it is like, I can still try to see what it might be like from another vantage point. I don't believe that advocating for social justice and equal treatment is whining or complaining. As long as there is an inequity of power and resources (and just because we have a black president now doesn't mean it doesn't exist), I see nothing wrong with social advocacy. Not everyone has the same history.
Are the cards really stacked in your favor?

Have you ever heard of quotas for colleges, affirmative action, etc...

Advocating for social inequity? Discrimination is a violation of federal law, if it happens take it to the appropriate athorities and have it delt with, that is the way to get rid of it, not wihning and complaining about it, not by treating blacks as if they are second class citizens by making it easier for them to achieve just because of the color of their skin.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
A crime is a crime, but having worked with the criminal justice system in the past what I have noticed is that there is an imbalance of convictions for some of the lesser crimes. I have seen more alternative sentencing options for people who were white, and more arrests for blacks all around for calls that were made for the same or similar crimes. There also seemed to be a lot less options for representation due to the high poverty rate of inner city black people in the Birmingham area. Another thing to consider is the fact that because so much police activity is in the neighborhoods with high poverty, and the officers are more guarded, the likelihood of arrests for petty and sometimes even non-crimes (loitering, appearing "suspicious", etc.) increases astonomically.
If this is the case and you can prove it then bring about a federal law suit, it has happened in the past.

Edmund Burke said, ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing.’

Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
All I know is that as a white straight male, I will never know what it is like to be discrimminated against due to race, gender, or sexuality. The cards are already stacked in my favor from birth. Does that mean it is all rainbows and cotton candy for me-no.
That's basically what it comes down to.

I think the hardest reality is there are MANY MANY MANY white people who did grow up poor, did come from very modest roots, did face a lot of adversity, didn't get free education, did go heavy into debt to get an education, and still didn't get any kind of job remotely close to what they're educated for.

I'm sure its that much harder for a black person...but the real issue here is that there are limited 'good' to 'great' jobs, everyone you can imagine is doing everything they can 'day in and day out' to try to educate themselves and work hard enough to get one.

Doesn't really matter what color you are, getting by in America is nowhere easy to get by as they portray in the Hollywood movies and primetime TV shows - where everyone's a yuppie at 24 years old with large city apartments and already attained dream jobs.

Myself, I'm white and almost 40, have two MA degrees, and still have yet to find a job that pays more than $40,000 in one year - that was the most income I ever made, usually much less. I still have tons of school debt as well, I'm still a rentor not a house owner, and don't even have a car!

If anyone can lead me to the 'white line' where I get all the cool stuff for being born white...please do! Sorry, not trying to say it isn't hard being born black, just saying there is no 'gravy train' and 'easy street' for all people born white - which sometimes seems to have an implication out there that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area