Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,167 times

Advertisements

We want to move to the Charleston area!
We have summered in Kiawah for over 10 years, got married there and want to relocate to Charleston. We cannot afford Kiawah, but have looked at Mt. Pleasant and Summerville. Does anyone have any suggestions. We want a true "lowcountry feel" and would love to be near a marsh or river. Mt Pleasant is nice, but it is a little too commercialized and populated. We're kind of looking for a Mt. Pleasant or Daniel Island at it's beginnings.
Family oriented, but remote from the big city. I'd love to be somewhere quiet and calm near the water (but near to golf for my husband.)
We don't want to have to go the private school route, so the best public available would be best. If we have to go private, we would more than likely go with a religious/private school in our area.
Mosty we want our kids to grow up enjoying SC the way that we do, or at least dream to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 AM

63 posts, read 203,528 times
Daniel Island fits the bill if you can afford it. Mt. Pleasant is a great choice also.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 AM

36 posts, read 84,675 times
Hi GtC! My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a home in Mt. Pleasant. We are Long Islanders who are beach junkies. We currently live in a small beach/boat community. We have a 7 year old son and chose Mt. Pleasant for the schools and proximity to water. We found a lovely neighborhood (Brickyard Plantation,thanks to a great realtor) that gave us charm, lots of foliage and a convenient location. There is a boat ramp in the subdivision where you'll find neighbors with their kids and dogs playing and the benefit of a neighborhood pool (my son loves this idea). We did LOVE Riverland Terrace in James Island. There are live oaks draping the streets, a boat ramp, play park and a truly authentic feel. James Island schools are great as well. We simply could not find something in our price range and were pressed for time. We looked in Summerville but wanted to be closer to the ocean. They also have highly rated schools and affordable home prices.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times
Depending on your price range you can find some quiet areas that aren't too "commercialized". Water and golf are widely available as well as excellent schools in Mount Pleasant. Do you have a Realtor? If you do have them tour you through some neighborhoods.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,443 times
I don't know from experience, but from what I have researched Goose Creek might be worth considering taking a look into.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Mount Pleasant has a number of communities to choose from. Some of the communities you don't 'sense' the commercial aspects. Sure Mount Pleasant is commercial in some areas...but that also means convenience. Something to be said to be 15 minutes from the city, 10 minutes from the beach, 10 minutes from parks, restaurants and convenient shopping.

James Island schools are reported to be not bad....they aren't ranked up there with Summerville and Mount Pleasant but not sure that means they aren't good enough.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 PM

87 posts, read 268,479 times
Come on over to James Island, we'd love to have you!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 34,190 times
You may also want to check out some of the older, "close-in" neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant. I think Old Village is wonderful and has great schools (Mt Pleasant Academy). However it is a little pricey. I also like The Groves and Bayview Acres. Great location close to the bridge and Shem Creek with big lots and also Mt Pleasant Academy schools at a lower price point.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

36 posts, read 84,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXatATM View Post
You may also want to check out some of the older, "close-in" neighborhoods in Mount Pleasant. I think Old Village is wonderful and has great schools (Mt Pleasant Academy). However it is a little pricey. I also like The Groves and Bayview Acres. Great location close to the bridge and Shem Creek with big lots and also Mt Pleasant Academy schools at a lower price point.

Good luck!
ITA. These were great neighborhoods. I also loved Pirate's Cove in MP. The homes were adorable, smaller, and a bit close to one another but what a great "feel".

Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 17,639 times
We looked for months. Have now been in new home about a month. Hanahan near the mall has a few neighborhoods with water but without a realtor it would have been tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area