Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 PM

312 posts, read 867,899 times

Advertisements

Any parts of North Charleston that are okay? Saw some great townhouses listed near the mall.

Last edited by DiJay; 08-19-2009 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: can't spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Yes there are some areas that are not as bad as others, but around the mall there is alot of traffic and the area off of Ashley Phosphate has a very large South American population.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 AM

312 posts, read 867,899 times
thanks!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Shadow Oak Drive off of Greenridge Rd? That's Oak Bluff, and it's a pretty nice townhome complex with pool, etc. I've sold in there before, no complaints.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 96,641 times
I live near Ash-Phos & Dorchester Rd, in a popular and very safe neighborhood overall. Certainly there is the occasional exception as with anywhere. The area you are considering I would rate as middle to less than desirable. There is a wide mixture of people, ages, housing and businesses; very busy traffic during AM-PM rush hours (7-9 am & 4-7pm) but otherwise tolerable enough. There is a high level of police traffic in the area to which you can draw your own conclusions I'm sure. Certainly not one of the higher crime areas in N. Chas., discounting crimes related to businesses.

If I were to suggest "safe & decent or nice" areas in N. Chas., I would look around the S'ville end of Dorchester to the Air Force Base area, but stay off of Ash-Phos and be diligent in choosing any neighborhoods in that area. I would guess crimes related to drugs to account for the higher crime rates in these areas as well.

That being said, I once lived in a BAD area of Durham, NC for seven years and never had any problems, not even a stolen bike my kids repeatedly left out in the open! So you never know....

Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,277 times
The Oak Bluff Community in North Charleston is a safe and quiet community. I've lived there for more than five years and have had no problems at all. I am a single, professional business woman and wouldn't live in an area that I didn't consider safe. I will be relocating in 2011 and plan to sell my 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath townhome. It is in immaculate shape. If you are still considering the area, contact me.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 AM

14 posts, read 36,214 times
Check out the Oak Terrace Preserve neighborhood in North Charleston. It has won numerous awards for the city for its green and sustainable orientation. It's only 3-4 years old.

Check out Oak Terrace Preserve: A Green/Sustainable Community in Park Circle, North Charleston, SC | .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area