Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 51,163 times

Advertisements

I need to clarify one thing...no disrespect is intended in ANY way towards Goose Creek or Summerville in my previous post.
I went to Goose Creek High School. My Father was Lt. Sheriff of Berkeley County for years!
Ladson butts up to both...it's kinda in the middle. Unless you look at boundary lines, then, you wouldn't necessarily know where one starts and the other ends...until you get into the heart of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:49 PM

5 posts, read 51,163 times
I hope it's a Publix...I hope it's a Publix! They are building something HUGE near my subdivision off of College Park Road...it would be cool if it's a Publix...she said, clicking her heals like Dorothy...

Old 09-19-2007, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 16,786 times
Default New and Better choices in Ladson

As far as the schools go, I know that Ladson includes at least two school districts Charleston County and Dorchester 2. If you have kids--you have to send them to Dorchester 2 schools. Oakbrook Elementary and Oakbrook Middle are considered in Ladson and there are 3 new subdivisions that have been built in the last 2 years. You can actually walk your kids to school. These neighborhoods are are Eagle Run, Eagle Run Reserve and Heatherwoods. They schools have a great reputation and the housing choices range from small starter homes to $300,000 + homes. A lot of good changes are happening in this area. Also, these neighborhoods are right in the middle of things just a few hundred feet from Summerville and N. Charleston. Check it out.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:16 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times
I'd look at the dorchester road end of ladson that's in dorchester county, dorch2 schools - top of the state

the other half of ladson is in charleston county school district which has some of the worst schools in the nation and crime is much much higher, murders quite often, drug infested neighborhoods not too far from the college park/hwy 78 area etc etc...

almost forgot to mention, I live in Summerville off of Old Trolley Rd not too far from ladson ... I'm from here but I lived in Queens from 77 to 81 not too far from LittleNeck Pkwy and Union Turnpike, went to MartinVanBuren high school

I used to live in the Chas metro area, West Ashley but I moved out to Summerville yrs ago and still love it .. much better quality of life IMHO, and excellent schools

I've lived all over the Chas area because I was raised here, lived Downtown Chas, West Ashley, James Island, Goose Creek and now Summerville - Summerville being the place I'll probably stay unless something drastic happens to the area

good luck with you move

Last edited by meks; 09-20-2007 at 07:27 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 08:04 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,595 times
C'mon Meks!

I was at the Mobil station at the intersection of Union Tpke and 164th Street two weeks ago, and it ain't pretty. There is hardly any place down here that compares to Queens today.

You've got to remember; things change everywhere. You left Queens 25 years ago! I personally don't think it's gotten too much better.

Agreed, there are places you need to be careful around here, but it's not too bad anywhere.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
C'mon Meks!

I was at the Mobil station at the intersection of Union Tpke and 164th Street two weeks ago, and it ain't pretty. There is hardly any place down here that compares to Queens today.

You've got to remember; things change everywhere. You left Queens 25 years ago! I personally don't think it's gotten too much better.

Agreed, there are places you need to be careful around here, but it's not too bad anywhere.
nope it hasn't gotten any better, still have a brother and sis that live there

bro lives in GlenOaks, sis lives in the village... my old high school now has armed guards and racial tension is worse than it's ever been in the South

but I didn't say queens was good, several of my old friends from there are dead now... a few of them were shot/stabbed dead while I was there and then there was 9/11, lost of few of my old classmates there...

Queens has it's good areas, somewhere I suppose... probably in the richer neighborhoods

but the hwy78 part of ladson has no good areas, people get killed there more often than they did in my old neighborhood in Queens... too many black dope dealers with guns shooting each other, and the mexicans are a rising there

Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 AM

14 posts, read 55,507 times
if you have teenage kids, stay away from hwy 78 woodside manor, the pines, and ladson road, fairlawn, they will have problems with other kids.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 14,849 times
Talking Oakbrook Area Of Summerville, Ladson, Sc.

WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT TO MOVE HERE IS CRAZY TO ME. I HAVE LIVED HERE FOR 30 YRS. AND IN THE LAST 4 YEARS ALL THESE "NORTHERNERS" MOVING HERE HAS DONE NOTHING BUT INCREASE TRAFFIC SO THAT INSTEAD OF ME TAKING THE NORMAL 20 MINUTES TO GET TO WORK, IT NOW TAKES ME AN HOUR. INSTEAD OF 24 KIDS TO A CLASSROOM WE HAVE 30. AT 5 PM THE INTERSECTION OF LADSON RD. AND DORCHESTER RD. IS SO CONGESTED THAT IT WILL TAKE YOU FOREVER TO GET THRU IT.
SOUTH CAROLINA HAS TAKEN A STAND AGAINST ILLEGALS NOW...AND THEY ARE NOT AS MANY HANGING AROUND STORE FRONTS, LIKE THEY USED TO BE. BUT SOME OF THEM ARE STILL HERE, LOOKING TO STEAL A JOB FROM A LEGAL AMERICAN AT A CHEAPER PRICE...TO SEND THE MONEY BACK TO MEXICO...SOON MEXICO WILL HAVE MORE AMERICAN MONEY PILED UP THAN AMERICA...AT THIS RATE. WITH THIS KIND OF PROBLEM, IT IS DRIVING THE SALARY WARS WAY DOWN, MAKING IT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR A DECENT AMERICAN TO FIND A GOOD JOB ENOUGH TO SUPPORT A FAMILY. I USED TO LIVE IN CHARLESTON, AND THE CRIME RATE AND TAXES WERE ABNORMALLY HIGH, SO I MOVED TO LADSON, AND THE DELINQUENT TEENS HERE ARE MAINLY IN THE POORER NEIGHBORHOODS, WHERE OUR COUNTRY HAS MADE IT POSSIBLE DUE TO THE FACT THAT BOTH PARENTS HAVE TO WORK NOW TO LIVE, LEAVING NO SUPERVISION ON THE TEENS MOST OF THE TIME.AND NOT ALL DRUG DEALERS ARE OUT SHOOTING UP NEIGHBORHOODS, NOWADAYS THE MIDDLE CLASS WHITE PEOPLE ARE DRUG DEALERS MAKING METH LABS OUT OF THEIR HOMES AND YOU CAN NEVER TELL WHEN ONE WILL POP UP NEXT DOOR. WE EVEN HAD ONE IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD...A YR AGO.
NO ONE KNEW. JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT DORCHESTER SCHOOL DISTRICT 2 IS MESSED UP...THEY HAVE THE UP TO DATE TECHNOLOGY BUT THEY DONT SEND HOME BOOKS...HOW DO YOU HELP A KIDS STUDY WITHOUT BOOKS? THE KIDS ARE NOT LEARNING...THEY ARE BEING TAUGHT HOW TO PUT THE RIGHT ANSWER ON THE TESTS SO THE SCHOOL GETS A GOOD GRADE AND THE TEACHER GETS PATTED ON THE BACK, WHILE THE CHILD GETS PASSING GRADES, BUT DOESN'T KNOW OR LEARN ANYTHING FOR HIM TO GO ON WITH TO THE NEXT YEAR...THEN BY THE TIME THIS CHILD GETS TO MIDDLE SCHOOL, HE IS SO FAR BEHIND IN KNOWLEDGE THAT HE GETS INTO TROUBLE AND STARTS BECOMING A PROBLEM AND THEN DORCHESTER'S ANSWER TO THIS IS TO SEND THEM TO THE ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL WITH OTHER DELINQUENTS THAT ARE VIOLENT, AND THE CYCLE OF CHILD DESTRUCTION CONTINUES........BECAUSE THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SYSTEM HAS FAILED THEM...AND DORCHESTER COUNTY DISTRICT 2 IS PROMOTING THIS...AND PATTING THEMSELVES ON THEIR BACKS STATING HOW GREAT THEY ARE AND THAT THEY ARE THE BEST IN SC!! WHAT A SICK JOKE!!!
I AM SO GLAD THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR...AND I WANT THOSE OLD NO GOOD PEOPLE OFF THE SCHOOL BOARD IN SC. GET SOME FRESH NEW MINDS TO DECIDE HOW TO HELP THE CHILDREN IS THE FIRST THING TO DO!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlinedesign View Post
I hope it's a Publix...I hope it's a Publix! They are building something HUGE near my subdivision off of College Park Road...it would be cool if it's a Publix...she said, clicking her heals like Dorothy...
It's a Harris Teeter which is better than Publix...If you are talking about the same area (College Park Rd and 17a?)

Here's some info to: Carnes, A Daniel Island Company Township in The Greater Charleston Area

Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
Ok to whoever started this post, I would lean more toward Sville than Ladson! I have had my store front in Ladson for 9yrs now on corner of CP RD & 78 and I have to agree with other posters that it has gone down hill...I find myself now needing a translator just so I can speak to customers that walk in the door, it wasn't like this 5yrs ago...Matter of fact as soon as Carnes crossroads gets developed we will be relocating the store to there...Just my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area