Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 20,688 times

Advertisements

I will be relocated to DC this summer and am looking for some helpful pointers in finding an area to buy a home. I'm a 23 y/o male and am looking for a house/condo/townhouse of no more than $300K. Since I'm still young I'd like to be near areas where young professionals congregate. Silver Spring and Arlington seem to be the best areas. (Which may be tough since most people my age are still renting.) I think it's fair to say that in these areas and with my budget I'm most likely looking at condos. Also on my list is Annapolis and perhaps Fredericksburg, although I'd have to tag on the commute I could afford a bigger house, is that correct?

I'd like to know what other areas I should consider, and why. Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:10 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,899,036 times
all you'll get in the area for 300k is a condo.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 AM

19 posts, read 154,374 times
All you will get in Arlington for 300k (the most desirable place to live for young, single, professionals) is an old condo that probably needs to be gutted. Maybe you should try Manassas Park.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 AM

566 posts, read 2,987,579 times
Actually you can find some pretty good condos right now in Arlington for under 300k. Many of them have already been remodeled. Be very carefull though, condo fees can range from 100-400/month (which may or may not cover things like utilities) and are often overlooked.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:46 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,801,766 times
300k will buy you a good condo in the west end of alexandria. there are a lot of professionals here. This is the area of NoVA you get the most bang for your buck when you talk condos.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,154,697 times
If you are willing to handle the commute, and you did mention Fredericksburg, you can definitely get some deals. There is currently a couple of new condo/townhouses going in in the city; one is right at the VRE/Amtrak station. The other is going into the old Maury School. If you are interested I could track down the names for you. But be warned, there will be a commute!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 20,688 times
I really appreciate all the help and information. Sounds like my assumptions were fairly correct. I'm still on the fence about Fredericksburg, though.

Condo does sound like what i'll be looking at. Again, thanks for all the advice!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM

32 posts, read 165,517 times
You can definately find nice resale condos in Fairfax and Arlington for that price right now. There are floods of condos on the market. I have seen some condo units turn into rentals from the builder.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 PM

261 posts, read 1,668,168 times
We have 1 BR condos in my building going for the 295k range lately and I live within walking distance of Ballston Metro (like 10 year old building though). But like David mentioned, condo fees in this area run 300+ a month easy. Lots of people trying to unload in Arlington so you might get a deal.

Arlington is the place to be for the young single professional (especially the Ballston, Clarendon, and Courthouse areas).

Old 05-10-2007, 03:29 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,737 times
Be aware that Fredericksburg has a very, very flat market right now and it is likely to continue for a while. The commute has gotten so bad that people aren't moving that far south of DC anymore. My father is a real estate agent there and they just aren't seeing the traffic they should this time of year with the low rates that are still available. 300K would buy you more there but it won't appreciate much if at all for a while. You ought to buy in a growing area with a decent resale market. You should never buy simply based on price. Arlington is better for many reasons, your age, commute, resale, and social life are the top ones I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: