Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,468 times

Advertisements

There is an article in the local paper this morning I found particularly disturbing. An elderly woman's savings have apparently been used to pay a slew of City employee salaries all in the name of protecting her? This just stinks of big government gone bad. The City appoints doctors to evaluate her. The City says she needs more evaluation and guardianship. Well, since the City is appointing a guardian, it controls her assets, and pays itself for all the services it says needs to be provided out of those assets.

If this can happen to LeeBelle . . . The Post and Courier - Charleston SC newspaper (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jan/14/if-this-can-happen-to-leebelle/ - broken link)

Joe Riley says it's perfectly acceptable. The Police Chief says everyone is just doing their job. I'm waiting to see what the "Rest of The Story" will be...

Perhaps if Joe Riley finds himself to be declared incompetent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Just another example of why I don't want the government running the health care system....

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM

435 posts, read 835,210 times
No, everyone should have a living well, it has nothing to do with health care...

Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 AM

What is a living well?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
No, everyone should have a living well, it has nothing to do with health care...
It doesn't have anything to do with health care??

Well that may be, but it does go to show you what happens when the government gets involved in the personal afairs of it's citizens....

Do you want a government that is powerful enough to give you everything?

If so remember that they are then powerful enough to take it all away, that is not what this country was founded on....

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
I'm with you, Tom.....we, the people, need to be in control of our own health care - NOT Big Brother!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 AM

Hey I just converted another Libertarian.....

j/k...

Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,443 times
I think there needs to be some corrections with the way the current health care systen functions, I just don't know who or how. I had to leave my current position at work due to final semester grad school requirements and lost my coverage for myself and my wife. I had no idea that I would not be able to get individual coverage due to having crohn's, even though it has been inactive for years. I can't even afford my meds that I take for maintenance, so I had to stop taking them. Now I have knee issues that need medical attention, but without insurance, I can't afford it. My wife is not in the same boat as I, but she is still having trouble finding a provider due to BS disqualifiers. I am thankful that I even have the option of health care when I am working again, but so many people don't due to their field or limited options.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Most drug manufacturers will provide you the drugs you need if you can't afford them, go to the website and look it up.

Private health care is cheaper than buying through your employer if you can get it, and it would be cheaper yet if the government didn't mandate that they provide stupid stuff that you don't need and let you buy it accross state lines and a bunch of other things that the government does to make it harder on the consumer to get health care.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,443 times
I agree, it is usually cheaper if you buy individual coverage. My problem is that I am denied due to being "high risk".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area