Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 AM

29 posts, read 84,354 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My husband and I will be moving to Charleston in May. We haven't decided completely if we want to rent or buy, we need to know the area a little bit better.

He is in the Air Force, but we have not heard good things about living close to it, so does any one have any recommendations about good areas close to the base??

We also really like the White Gables neighborhood. Does anyone have any information on it, or any neighborhoods that are similar?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 PM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauninc View Post
Hello-

My husband and I will be moving to Charleston in May. We haven't decided completely if we want to rent or buy, we need to know the area a little bit better.

He is in the Air Force, but we have not heard good things about living close to it, so does any one have any recommendations about good areas close to the base??

We also really like the White Gables neighborhood. Does anyone have any information on it, or any neighborhoods that are similar?

Thanks!
Welcome to the 437th where were always busy. What base are you guys PC Sing from?

Yeah as is the case with most bases, the area around the base isnt the greatest. Once you get past Dorchester, and Ashley Phosphate intersection, your in a decent area. But thats just my view. Alot of people end up living in and around the Summerville area. Can't really go wrong with Summerville.

Gables, name sounds familar, but I cant get a mental picture.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,610 times
try Myers Mill, Waterside Landing, Highwoods Plantation up Dorchester Rd. Nice area and a new YMCA just opened up right down the street

Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
Wescott Plantation- Summerville
Cedar Grove- N Charleston but DOR 2 schools
Taylor Plantation- Ryland neighborhood lots of trees but no amenities.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Wescott is the closest nice neighborhood to the air base, unless you go to Ashley Phospate Rd and Windsor Hill.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,098 times
I usually recommend Wescott Plantation for those working on the base and looking for the shortest commute time. It is a large development with a range of homes for sale...golf course, community pool, play park, clubhouse....nice amenities.
White Gables is a very nice neighborhood as well, it is just further out. It has a different feel from Wescott and is smaller. The homes are built close together (on purpose) with very small yards. The goal is to promote friendliness among the neighbors and shared green space. Very nice pool, clubhouse and the like. Those that live in there generally seem to love it and the houses are built well by Saussy Burbank.
Sincerely,
Foster Smith

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times
Whitehall is also a nice subdivision off Dorchester Road in the Dorchester District II School system. I live in Wescott Plantation and agree, it's a nice neighborhood with a variety of different sub-sections which is common here.

Last edited by 1lisat; 02-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 AM

87 posts, read 268,505 times
If you get a chance, I'd either rent for 6 months so you can learn the area, or find a Realtor that can show you the area, to find out the best spot for you. There are a number of Realtors I'm sure that would be glad to help (see above) and usually have a knack for matching your lifestyle and home criteria with a certain area. As far as living close to the Air Force Base...there are a number of areas that are quiet, safe, and have great schools. Drive around with a Realtor! Burn their gas, it's in the job description.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 AM

252 posts, read 495,421 times
Default Good schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauninc View Post
Hello-

Thanks!
We are moving to Charleston AFB too, in June (hubby will be there from April) My biggest concern is finding a great (good) high school for our 17 yr old, he will be going into his senior year. Our first choice was Charleston academy, but they won't take senior transfers. Can anyone recommend a good HS please? We really don't have a preference as to the area, we will live wherever the best schools are. He needs a school that will challenge him, he is an honors student (not bragging, just don't want him to be bored) I have been looking at James Island Charter HS and Waccamaw HS. Would really appreciate some input from you guys already living there.

Hubby is transferring from Buckley AFB in CO...my Son and I have been living in IL for the past 18 months, hoping hubby could get to Scott. Hate this long distance crap, so we decided to take the job at Charleston to get us all together again

Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
Wando HS in Mount Pleasant (the only HS in Mt P) or Dorchester 2 schools are the best in this area. Sc is not well known for it's schools. But I have a 17 year old who is a Senior this year. Very happy with her education.

Last edited by beachme; 02-03-2010 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area