Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 11:47 AM

252 posts, read 495,421 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, just have a quick question about colleges in SC.

We are moving there in June, our Son will be doing his Senior year of high school there (probably Wando or JIHS) I have heard lots of different opinions on wether or not he would have to pay out of State college tuition, because he will only have been an SC resident for 12 months? Is this true?

I have no clue as to how all the College registration thing works in the US. I am a Brit and it's all very different there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I believe one year is correct but call a school counselor to be sure.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
The link below should answer your question. My understanding is that a dependent child's state of residency is that state of his parents. If the child, is independent, or the parents move into South Carolina, then the time he/they have lived in SC comes into play.

Here's the applicable provision:

South Carolina Domicile Defined for Purposes of Rates of Tuition and Fees--Section 59-112-20. South Carolina Domicile for tuition and fee purposes shall be established as follows in determinations of rates of tuition and fees to be paid by students entering or attending State Institutions:

A. Independent persons who reside in and have been domiciled in South Carolina for a period of no less than twelve months with an intention of making a permanent home herein, and their dependents, may be considered eligible for in-state rates.

B. Independent persons who reside in and have been domiciled in South Carolina for fewer than twelve months but who have full-time employment in the State, and their dependents, may be considered eligible for in-state rates for as long as such independent person is employed on a full-time basis in the State.

C. Where an independent person meeting the provisions of Section 59-112-20 B above, is living apart from his spouse, or where such person and his spouse are separated or divorced, the spouse and dependents of such independent person shall have domiciliary status for tuition and fee purposes only under the following circumstances:

(1) if the spouse requesting domiciliary status for tuition and fee purposes remains domiciled in South Carolina although living apart or separated from his or her employed spouse,

(2) if the dependent requesting domiciliary status for tuition and fee purposes is under the legal custody or guardianship, as defined in Section 59-112-10I above, of an independent person who is domiciled in this State; or if such dependent is claimed as an income tax exemption by the parent not having legal custody but paying child-support, so long as either parent remains domiciled in South Carolina.

D. The residence and domicile of a dependent minor shall be presumed to be that of the parent of such dependent minor.
Effect of Change of Residency--Section 59-112-30. When the domicile of a student or of the person upon whom a student is financially dependent changes after enrollment at a State Institution, tuition charges shall be adjusted as follows:

A. Except as provided in Section 59-112-20B above, when domicile is taken in South Carolina, a student shall not become eligible for in-state rates until the beginning of the next academic session after expiration of twelve months from date of domicile in this State.

B. When South Carolina domicile is lost, eligibility for in-state rates shall end on the last day of the academic session in which the loss occurs; however, application of this subsection shall be at the discretion of the institution involved.

C. Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, any dependent person who has been domiciled with his family in South Carolina for a period of not less than three years immediately prior to his enrollment may enroll in a state-supported institution of higher learning at the in-state rate and may continue to be enrolled at such rate even if the parent, spouse, or guardian upon whom he is dependent moves his domicile from this State.

SOUTH CAROLINA RESIDENCY LAW

I would certainly call the school in question to be sure of their take on the statue as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Thank you so much DJ...hubby is going to be working at Charleston AFB from April, so hopefully our Son will be classed as a resident, but we will definitely ask at the school when we register him.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:27 PM

One more quick question if I may...hubby was talking to his sponsor at the base the other day, the guy mentioned something about SC 'giving' students some money to use in college, he said it depended on the high school gpa? is that true? I have never heard of another State doing this...I was under the impression that the only help you got with college finances was through scholarships, or student loans?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
I believe one year is correct but call a school counselor to be sure.
Yes. Just call the school ADMISSIONS department. They should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area