Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 09:02 PM

104 posts, read 172,262 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, thought I'd get some opinions on where to live. We've visited a few times, really love the area, and we're looking to move out of Somerville (Boston) and down the Charleston area. I've definitely noticed how the divisions in income are much more pronounced (we live in East Somerville/Sullivan Square) than up here-- even if we're the only white people in the neighborhood, it's not a huge deal. I get the feeling it's not the same down there, though. We'd love to live near/around King street, but we probably can't afford to (we're looking for under $1100 a month + utilities)-- anyways, it looks like James Island/West Ashley is where we'll be heading. However, we only have 1 car so there needs to be decent/somewhat reliable public transportation. I've seen firsthand how bad the buses are down there-- do they even run that far out of downtown? Can anyone vouche for public transportation in that area? Also-- what areas would be more-- bohemian (?) -- in those areas. We're both vegetarians that listen to lots of folk and are big fans of art and the diy-culture (gardening, beer-brewing, etc.); I don't want us to be too out of place.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
MY wife and I are planning on the possibility of moving to Charleston from Tallahassee in the next couple of years and although we're not vegetarians, don't live a bohemian lifestyle, and have 2 young elementary-aged school children, we are probably looking for a similar culture to live amongst. So I'm eager to hear any responses.

Also, where are the best schools? Right now, in Tallahassee, I can live in a safe downtown neighborhood, adjacent to an art culture, 2 blocks from the best public schools in the area, and pay $1200 rent for a 3 BR house on a 1/3 acre...most similar houses in the area would run about $200,000 if I was to buy. Can I get a similar set-up in Charleston or am I asking for too much?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:46 PM

435 posts, read 835,210 times
All downtown schools are kind of bad, so if you live in downtown, you have to go private. Also, there is no way you can get 3br on a 1/3 acre for $1200 in good condition and good neighborhood for 1200 downtown.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Not all, Buist(sp?) academy is downtown...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 PM

104 posts, read 172,262 times
We're looking for more of a 'downtown' feel-- we liked some of West Ashley and most of the peninsula, but obviously the latter is a bit more expensive than we'd like to go. I know Mt. Pleasant doesn't really have a downtown--are there any areas that have at least some walkability (i.e. walk to the coffee shop, etc.)? Any mix-zoned areas? I'm not looking for Boston or New York, but something similar to downtown Charleston (I hate to use the term, but something almost hipster-esque)?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM

92 posts, read 264,212 times
There are plenty of mixed-zone communities (master planned communities) in the area, but IMO most of it is just suburban sprawl - definitely not hipster-esque. They are more geared towards families - at least East of the Cooper River. West Ashley is probably your best bet outside of downtown.

Honesty, from your posts, you should consider visiting Asheville, NC.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Check out Folley Beach, I think they will have what you are looking for....

Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Not all, Buist(sp?) academy is downtown...
Buist is good but..You have to worry about the Big one coming! J/k

Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Yeah.....

I think Red Fox is still waiting for that one........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area