U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:41 AM

20 posts, read 42,613 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - we have been living in Philadelphia and may have the opportunity to move to Charleston. We've lived in Philly for about a year and we love the proximity to the big cities (Philly and NYC), PA is beautiful with the hills, etc, but we find the cost of living to be higher than we are comfortable with and my wife is tired of the cold :-)

We moved to Philly from the midwest where housing was very affordable, but lacked the larger city proximity and, most of all, the ocean!

We have never been to SC and cannot go there before deciding to move. From what we see it seems really nice (other than the lack of mountains/hills). Our biggest concern is the fact that it's not a big city and there aren't any in the near proximity.

I also play music and enjoy a vibrant music scene and am not sure what Charleston has to offer in that department.

Has anyone made a similar move or can tell me what the main differences would be between say Philly and Charleston for someone making the view?

Sorry for the long winded email, but we're trying to decide and are stuck!

Thanks,

RC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM

7,934 posts, read 16,677,519 times
Check out the Charleston City Paper - Restaurants | Music | Events | Arts | News for the music and entertainment scene....

Mountains are only 3.5~4 hours west....

Charleston has lots to offer the city lover with a less hectic environment...

Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,757,965 times
Charleston can't compare to Philly for what the city life offers. I went to school just outside of Philly and Charlesotn is much more small-town than big city. That said, I think the quality of life here beats Philly anyday. Traffic isn't an issue, the beach is 5 minutes away, loads more sunshine, etc. You really do have to visit, if only for a weekend. Moving someplace completely blind is certainly a leap of faith, but even if its just to drive down one day and then back the next night, it should help some.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:27 AM

The thing with Philly, we love the landscaping of PA, but I don't like my long commutes and the cost of living there. It's manageable, but we would like someplace where if we wanted one afternoon after work we can just take the kids and go to the beach, or for a boat ride, etc.

Philly of course has a lot to offer, even though we never really do much in Philly, most of the time we drive to NYC. Nonetheless anything you need it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Charleston can't compare to Philly for what the city life offers. I went to school just outside of Philly and Charlesotn is much more small-town than big city. That said, I think the quality of life here beats Philly anyday. Traffic isn't an issue, the beach is 5 minutes away, loads more sunshine, etc. You really do have to visit, if only for a weekend. Moving someplace completely blind is certainly a leap of faith, but even if its just to drive down one day and then back the next night, it should help some.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Unfortunately right now we are overseas, so that's why we need to decide sight unseen, so to speak.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM

370 posts, read 909,074 times
This area cannot compete with Philly in terms of city life and hills/mountains. You would have to be willing to give that up if you wanted to make a move here, or you would find yourselves disappointed. There is a much different kind of natural beauty here, but the land is very flat. Columbia might be an area to consider if you prefer hills. Still close enough to the coast, but it has more of a hilly terrain.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Well, the beach is the main thing that we are looking at as a counterpart of not having the mountains/hills :-D

Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM

397 posts, read 1,033,940 times
check out Awendaw Green | Awendaw Green for local music venues - great way for musicians to get their music out and sell their CD's, as well as finding producers. Also, don't forget Spoleto which is a huge arts scene. There is a large music base locally!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 AM

Awesome, I appreciate it. I'm checking the link out right now.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 25,672 times
Default Charleston might be your fit.

Columbia is hot and there is little, if any, diversity.
Myrtle Beach is touristy and annoying.

I am from PA and moved here 7 years ago, love the area and haven't ever been disappointed. However, it is different. Slower, more laid back. You won't have any trouble running into other yankees, we are a dime a dozen here.

To put it in perspective.....I have a few friends that lived outside of philly (downingtown area) and moved here 6 years ago. They gave up very prominent positions to move here to open up a restaurant. When they moved they put it bluntly "we decided to work where we wanted to live, not live where we wanted to work". They haven't been disappointed since.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area