Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:46 PM

8 posts, read 15,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
what's next? how about like 10,000 jobs for the local economy. Dont know what the rest of the country will do but I believe we'll see quite a surge in demand later this year and for quite a few years after that (we're already seeing it) alot of the buyers we had last month were NOT tax credit buyers...

10,000 huh? A surge in demand later this year?!?! A surge in what? Foreclosures? It won't be sales my friend. I'm assuming that either you're a Realtor or you've taken one too many nails to the head. As much as I would love that statement to "true" It couldn't be further from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Yeah it's like Macys -- they could price everything for a dollar and it all would sell.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I just brought a house, and I don't qualify for the tax credit. Already own a house no mortgage in a major US city, and are buying one here because I moved here.

Good for you!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,610 times
X, Flat, you guys are always giving the negative, sky is falling scenarios... and that's OK, we certainly need your perspective sometimes as it does offset some of the overzealous, optimistic stances others may have but your "opinions" and thoughts as to what is happening in the market (thats just what they are...opinions) arent always true either. I'll bet you guys love Glenn Beck...he's been telling me the country is collapsing for years yet it hasnt happened... yes I work for a regional homebuilder that builds 100-150 houses a year in this market and we are seeing activity every day from people who are moving here from all over the country. I spoke for quite awhile in our design center the other day with a Boeing employee who is buying a home from us and transfering down here and he thinks we havent seen the tip of the iceberg here. Said its almost common knowledge up in the PNW that Boeing will slowly move MAJOR pieces of their operation down here as the business environment is night and day compared to there. Boeing isnt but just a piece of the puzzle...the additional vendors and suppliers needed to build this plane are also scouting land right now for parts manufacturing facilities that end up also being big employers for the area. The wind turbine facility in N CHS is HUGE although it hasnt recieved nearly the press Boeing has...it has the potential (even moreso now as with the recent spill "green" energy will be top priority) to be a MAJOR game changer for this town. Any and every company that has anything to do with development, research, and manufacturing of wind energy will probably set up shop here...it wouldnt make sense for them not to. The CEO of GE for crying out loud was here what? 2 months ago? touring the facility...saying "we're VERY interested in CHS and extremely excited about what is happening down here and looking for how we can be involved....Oh and did i mention i have a beach house in Kiawah?" C'mon guys! He'll pick CHS for a turbine manufacturing facility not just because it makes sense but it also puts him 45 minutes to his beach house! Dont think for one minute major decisions arent made with stuff like that in mind. I'm open to the possibility of being wrong and if i am I'll own it but all BS aside...I'm not trying to "convince" anyone that they've gotta buy now because prices are going up up up! I do believe that there is some MAJOR economic stuff happening down here alot of which has not hit the press yet which will allow us to ride through the "storm" while other areas of the country may see continued downward pressure. and that is my "opinion"

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM

hey Flat i have to give a separate post regarding the "unachieveable" numbers
Boeing will employ 4000+ people. I would conservatively say we'll pick up another 1500 or so jobs from various vendors and suppliers but we wont even use that in this equation. According to the Washington Alliance for a Competitive Economy Report published in April 2009, Boeing has a “jobs multiplier” of 3.96 which means each of the company’s jobs will support nearly three additional jobs in the state. Once the Boeing plant is finished and the 4000+ employees (and that's just the beginning folks) are hired the state of SC will see approximately an additional 12,000+ jobs brought to South Carolina (mostly in Charleston). Not sure if you know this or not but the air force base employs around 7000 direct people and it is a HUGE driver of our local economy...the additional jobs that come with the air force base is the icing as would be the additional indirect jobs that Boeing brings. I think Boeing is FAR bigger than what most people really understand...it was this nations single largest business development announcement in 2009 and its here...right in your backyard

Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM

one more fun fact...Boeing is bigger than Blackbaud, Bosch, AND Force Protection all rolled into one. How does that NOT have a ripple effect? These are some of the biggest private sector employers in the area and Boeing once up and running becomes THE LARGEST private sector employer in Charleston...on day one.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
one more fun fact...Boeing is bigger than Blackbaud, Bosch, AND Force Protection all rolled into one. How does that NOT have a ripple effect? These are some of the biggest private sector employers in the area and Boeing once up and running becomes THE LARGEST private sector employer in Charleston...on day one.

The vast majority of Boeing's key suppliers will not relocate to the lowcountry - Boeing sources worldwide.

SPAWAR and MUSC individually employ a lot more bodies than Boeing ever will - and the majority of Boeing production jobs are going to be subcontracted - they won't be Boeing employees.

Wal-Mart will have more employees getting a paycheck from Wal-Mat than workers at the Boeing plant getting a paycheck directly from Boeing.

You may want to check your 'facts' before you post your 'opinion'....

Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM

SPAWAR and MUSC are NOT private sector employers...they are public. Why dont you get YOUR facts straight before you cop an attitude. The largest private sector employer in the area as of 9/2009 is Roper St Francis Hospitals and Boeing will have a bigger payroll than them...One more thing Flat, the package created to help "lure" Boeing is very specific about the job count and its NOT subcontracted employees...its direct employees on the books, and that number was 3800 or 4000 i believe. Anyone that lives here knows what kind of impact Blackbaud, Bosch, and Force have on our economy...now a company is setting up shop that will be bigger than all of them combined and you're telling me "so what?" get real... I'm not someone claiming that things are going to skyrocket out of control and we'll be back to the 2005 market but we certainly have had more positive economic news locally than anywhere else in the nation and I believe things are gonna be real good here over the next 10 years. Thanks for playing

Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM

62 posts, read 106,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
I asked this question of some friends to get their take on where the housing market is heading. There were varying opinions, but overall the thought process is that anyone (for the most part) who was in the market to buy a home has done so and now housing purchases will slow.

Many people waited to the eleventh hour to seal their deals and got in under the wire. Those who missed (but really want to buy) may wait longer since there is probably not much hurry to close on a home.

Thoughts?
"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."
Milton Friedman

Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 AM

what happened? everyone dropped this thread like a hot potato... did i give to much "positive" economic information? LOL!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area