Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:15 PM

193 posts, read 394,613 times

Advertisements

As an early 30s with a young family, I love the Summerville area personally. I do, however, hate that I have to drive so far to the beach as this is someting we do A LOT. We are actually looking more into the Tanner Plantation area as I work downtown too and need to cut down on the drive a little. But there are tons of young professionals in the S'ville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 AM

55 posts, read 123,995 times
Again, thank you to everyone who has commented, all very informative!

Hope everyone had an excellent memorial day weekend! Lots of time with the family is always a good thing.

After having a discussion, my fiancee and I have agreed that if going the townhouse/condo route will get us in the location we prefer (close to downtown/activities/beaches) we are more than willing to be closer to the action/events than in a big house, 1 hr from the beach.

We have also discussed taking on a bit of a "project", putting some sweat equity into a home in order to get into an area we'd prefer.

With that being said, I don't suppose anyone could offer suggestions as to which areas we should check out on our trip down in August?? We definately plan on driving around a lot, trying to map out the area and get a feel for locations.

Again, any information is always helpful and thank you!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 AM

252 posts, read 495,678 times
We are not living there yet (movers are packing us up as I type!) but from the research I have done and Jay's (hubby) comments, Mt,P. may be a good place for you to check out, you could get a condo/townhouse within budget and the beach is pretty close. Good schools too for when/if you guys start a family.

Good luck with your trip, I'm sure there are lots of threads you could search on here for more detailed info.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM

clanaxberg - Thanks for the well wishes, good luck with your move as well.

After a lot of consideration, I think we have narrowed down our area to Mt. Pleasant. We would have to go with a Condo or townhouse and with that being said, does anyone have suggestions as to which Condo complexes they would recommened?? We'd be looking in the 100-150k price range, looking to stay closer to the western portion of Mt. Pleasant.

We've been looking online at listings but its so hard to tell what areas seem decent/desirable using Google Earth haha.

Again, any info/insight is always appreciated. Thank you!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,433,514 times
Park West (The Gates, Battery and Madison sections)
The Village at Carol Oaks- new but no amenities

These are a few suggestions. Be careful at lot of the condos have lawsuits pending and it will be difficult to get financing.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Well, I figured I would update my thread and also try to get some additional information on a couple topics.

My fiancee and I are taking a 4 day trip down to Charleston, coming in at Noon on Monday July 26th, leaving the evening of Thursday July 29th.

We will be staying two nights in downtown and one night in Mt. Pleasant.

While on the trip we plan on driving around the area, checking out downtown, the beaches, condos, duplexes, etc.

We (I) have a couple questions regarding real estate, the Banking industry/Mortgage and the Charleston US Lacrosse Chapter.

1.) Does anyone have a Real Estate contact who specializes in Foreclosures/duplex-multi family homes??

2.) I am looking at getting involved in Mortgage Consulting and wanted to know the names of some Banks/Federal Credit Unions that I might be able to send my resume to looking into Mortgage Processing/Operations jobs.

3.) Is there a Charleston US Lacrosse Chapter? If so, are there any prominent members that I might be able to speak to in regards to getting involved??

Thank you in advance for any and all information!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:32 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,433,514 times
I have someone on my team who specializes in foreclosures/short sales. But it looks like we all do at this point. LOL

I also have a few mortgage leads I can give you. I will DM you those.

Can't help you with Lacrosse, but I am sure someone here can.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 AM

beachme thanks for the info, I sent a DM back to you

If anyone is a part of the Charleston Men's Lacrosse Club, I was checking out the website and sent in my recruiting info and would love to meet up with the team at some point while we're down to visit. Monday July 26th thru Thursday July 29th.

Also looking for Banks/FCU's in the area to send my resume out to for Mortgage Operations/Processing/Consulting. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
SCFCU: South Carolina Federal Credit Union, formerly Charleston Navy Shipyard FCU, Main branch and processing center is in N. Charleston.

Heritage Trust FCU: Main branch and processing center is in Summerville.

Navy FCU: several branches around town, no real processing center in the area.

There are few other smaller CUs around also....

Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM

846 posts, read 1,799,472 times
James Island is a good place to go, as I know several people from Western New York that live there. There's even a bar there, Buffalo South, that runs all Buffalo Sabres and Bills games. They also have good Buffalo wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area