Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 21,203 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Charleston area in August and am desperately searching for a rental property (plan to buy a home eventually but would like to spend a year becoming familiar with the area). I've read over the previous threads but wanted to post my needs to attempt to find some help.

I am looking for an apartment/loft or rental home/condo with 2+ bedrooms (may be willing to do 1 bedroom if it is large - meaning at least 900 sqft). I have 2 cats so the property MUST be pet friendly. I will be working south of the city so the Dunbar/Cross Lanes/Hurricane/etc. area is out.

School systems are not an issue. I love both urban and rural locations. Want to feel safe and be in a nice area. My ceiling for rent (not including utilities) is around $800/month with some flexibility.

I have visited the area and have picked up an ad bulletin...unfortunately a large majority of the properties are too far north or do not allow pets. Please help! Any tips, suggestions, or info would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Hi,

would you be alright with any of the following areas?

Kanawha City
South Hills
East End
Marmet
Dupont

or east

Elkview
Pinch
Mink Shoals

here are some older apts I found in both Kanawha City and South Hills
Main Page

Elk Valley Apartments
sorry couldn't find a webpage, but here is a number
Phone: [SIZE=3](304) 965-5383[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Absolutely, I was told the best areas for me would be South Hill or Kanawa City. I just got back home from a 36 hour whirlwind search of the city but did not see the apartments you suggested.

I completely adored the Jefferson Place townhouses but was sad to learn they are for individuals completing their medical residency

I will get in touch with the places you suggested and perhaps make another quick trip. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
There are numerous 4-unit or 6-unit brick apartment buildings in the Kanawa City area, built immediately pre- or post- WWII, and many of them took pets back when I lived in that area. John Damous owned one at 4704 MacCorkle Ave but it's four 1BRs. He or his family also owned several other old apartment buildings in the Charleston area. I don't know if he's the John Damous financial adviser or even whether he's still living.

Cross Lanes is really inconvenient and the farther you are off I-64 the more PITA and time delays it is to get to town, especially in winter. I used to take the back road into North Charleston from either Cross Lanes or Dunbar because the Interstate is so bad. Dunbar is not a bad distance to drive to downtown Chas, but I don't know how far south you need to go. I guess they've widened the I-64 bridge at Dunbar, too, so that ought to help some. Cross Lanes is too far out, though.

The problem with trying to find rentals to the South is that Corridor G didn't open up until the '90s and what was built there is individual homes. South Charleston or Spring Hill might be another place you can look for a townhouse or duplex. South Charleston has a surprising number of duplexes, townhouse type built as duplexes, but made to blend in with single family dwellings. But people started buying those and converting them to large single family homes in the 2000s, so maybe a lot of those are gone now, too.

http://south-charleston-west-virgini...omeliving.com/ and I'd also phone some of the Yellow Pages listings for property management, because lots of those small buildings never advertised, so that they could control the type of tenants.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 06-05-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 AM

I will be working at WVU Tech. So I'm not opposed to living in other areas. I was looking at the Charleston area to be nearer to restaurants and other conveniences (although at this point, I'm fine with living south of Montgomery). I would like to keep my driving time around 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston