Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Dunbar council votes to sell land to Aldi for store expansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 02:24 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Store is in the wrong location. If these folks are serious about expanding their business they need to do a new-build in that large area where G C Murphy that later became the Ames Department Store used to be. I am sure Kroger would love the competition (sarcasm) but they already compete just not as obviously. That is the problem though for Aldi, unless you are looking for it you drive right by it even though it borders a busy intersection off of the interstate. Kroger might have a 'non-compete' clause in their contract with the shopping center, but if so, this is something that really hurts the backers of the shopping center. Frankly, I never understand how that Kroger stays open as every time I go there I am practically the only shopper in the store.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 AM

I agree with that, but Kroger would never be cool with that. I would love for something to make a home of that lot though. Maybe add some stores the valley doesn't have yet, and it could attract some shoppers to Dunbar.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I agree with that, but Kroger would never be cool with that. I would love for something to make a home of that lot though. Maybe add some stores the valley doesn't have yet, and it could attract some shoppers to Dunbar.
You are right, Kroger would not like it, but it might not matter. I do not see how that store is solvent there. But if it went out, then that would make a good spot for Aldi and we would be back to square one with the empty lot.

It is a good spot for a Magic Mart or Big Lots but they are not in expansion mode right now. Walgreens is another decently sized retailer but that is essentially duplication of existing services. Many of the store front sin this shopping center are vacant so something is going to be needed to drive traffic and another drugstore is not likely to do it. Aldi is the most logical choice but like you, I am not sure it would even have a chance to happen.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
I know this is just my opinion but we don't need any more Magic Mart or Big Lots locations. We have too many already.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I know this is just my opinion but we don't need any more Magic Mart or Big Lots locations. We have too many already.
Dunbar is a walking town but it also uses the taxi and bus services pretty heavily. It has a high percentage of retired people that are bargain shoppers and most if none of them are going to drive to an outlet in either St Albans or Nitro or make it up to Patrick Street.

While this type of retailer is not the most glamorous, stores like Big Lots and Magic Mart serve a need in their communities and that is the key aspect of them; they are community retailers. I would prefer the situation that saw Aldo new build a outlet in that location but barring that and lets be honest that isn't going to happen, filling the vacancy is only going to come from a retailer that has a draw in the community. That is a very short list of companies.

Who would you recommend?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 PM

Plans for new Dunbar retail outlet at old Ames location in the works

Well, well, well...it looks like we were discussing current events and not prognosticating on a new store in the old Ames location. No word on what retailer is in the work but the line in the article says the new 30,000 square foot retail outlet would be just one of a few in the whole state and supposedly there are none in the Charleston market since it details patrons from those areas coming to the location.

Now some interesting tid-bits I was able to dig up:

1) The 30,000 sf size of the new outlet is a bit bigger than the current Kroger which is 27,000 sf.

2) The shopping center was trying to sell the larger as 5 separate plots of 10,000; 8,000; 6972; 6,000 and 3,000 sf. But, it seems someone wants to come and absorb all of those small plots and put in one location.

3) Work wont begin before October since Dunbar wants to hold their Fall Fest there this year.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Plans for new Dunbar retail outlet at old Ames location in the works

Well, well, well...it looks like we were discussing current events and not prognosticating on a new store in the old Ames location. No word on what retailer is in the work but the line in the article says the new 30,000 square foot retail outlet would be just one of a few in the whole state and supposedly there are none in the Charleston market since it details patrons from those areas coming to the location.

Now some interesting tid-bits I was able to dig up:

1) The 30,000 sf size of the new outlet is a bit bigger than the current Kroger which is 27,000 sf.

2) The shopping center was trying to sell the larger as 5 separate plots of 10,000; 8,000; 6972; 6,000 and 3,000 sf. But, it seems someone wants to come and absorb all of those small plots and put in one location.

3) Work wont begin before October since Dunbar wants to hold their Fall Fest there this year.
Wow, this is awesome! I hope this isn't a cruel April Fools Joke. This morning I woke up to Channel 13 News telling me that Bob Huggins was leaving WVU and taking the open coaching job at Pitt.

I wonder what this will be.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 AM

Edit: (Not a rumor anymore) Heard that ALDI will open a new store where Staples in Southridge is closing. That would fit well there. I would have rather see a store we don't already have, but its great that there will be such a fast turnaround.ALDI plans to open by the end of the year.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/New...375343351.html

Old 04-12-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Edit: (Not a rumor anymore) Heard that ALDI will open a new store where Staples in Southridge is closing. That would fit well there. I would have rather see a store we don't already have, but its great that there will be such a fast turnaround.ALDI plans to open by the end of the year.

New Aldi to move into Southridge shopping area

Great catch Chris. Aldi will absolutely boom on the corridor. I expect they will soon find the Staples hulk too small for the business that will come their way. EVERYONE hates having to go into Walmart but that does not stop the thousand of customers Walmart gets every hour. If even a small percentage of them opt out and go to Aldi, that small store is going to be bustling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston