Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 AM

778 posts, read 794,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I would agree with Caden Grace in that fast food restaurants and gas stations should not be areas of excitement for a city the size of Charleston. However, it isn't like the city is building high rise office buildings, developing new suburbs, or attracting distribution centers to the area. Unfortunately there isn't enough economic activity to get the blood pumping. I show more excitement over good job creation, renovated buildings, and major projects; but they are few and far between. I have lived in Tampa and in Upstate, NY and have witnessed mass development and whole towns being built from the ground up. But I am pleased when new business comes to my home town because it is better than being excited about coal jobs eliminated or corrupt Mingo County judges, etc...

A day later, apologies Chris.

Any development is good news especially when new institutions are moving into the region for the first time, but like you, having lived in larger, more dynamic cities, the real hunger is for something bigger than gas stations and chicken shacks.

I think we all desire the same thing, greatness. But, West Virginia is not great on that level. Massive spreading cities with growth seemingly haphazard is exciting but it also comes with a cost on the future. Where West Virginia is great is not in bricks and mortar, it is in the land and its people.

As much as any of wish it were otherwise, West Virginia is never going to have a metropolis on the order of regional cities like Pittsburgh, Richmond, Columbus or even Louisville. So perhaps getting excited over a gas station or a chicken shack is our ceiling. I certainly hope not, but has I hound on the topic to the ire of my good peers here, our tax structure and industrial employment policies are archaic and self-defeating, serving only the elite and not the businesses or people of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:06 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
A day later, apologies Chris.

Any development is good news especially when new institutions are moving into the region for the first time, but like you, having lived in larger, more dynamic cities, the real hunger is for something bigger than gas stations and chicken shacks.

I think we all desire the same thing, greatness. But, West Virginia is not great on that level. Massive spreading cities with growth seemingly haphazard is exciting but it also comes with a cost on the future. Where West Virginia is great is not in bricks and mortar, it is in the land and its people.

As much as any of wish it were otherwise, West Virginia is never going to have a metropolis on the order of regional cities like Pittsburgh, Richmond, Columbus or even Louisville. So perhaps getting excited over a gas station or a chicken shack is our ceiling. I certainly hope not, but has I hound on the topic to the ire of my good peers here, our tax structure and industrial employment policies are archaic and self-defeating, serving only the elite and not the businesses or people of the state.
No apologies needed, we are on the same page. I agree WV will never see development like other states do until tax law is changed and the judicial hell hole is fixed. There are many variables working against Charleston, but I am an extreme optimist. I see huge potential, but not enough leadership qualities to drive change and innovation.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:08 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
Update on potential Sheetz in Cross Lanes. I saw crews putting up fencing around part of the parking lot of the former Big Sandy Outlet Center (I think) across from the Reserve Center. I didn't see any signs, but something is going to be put there.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Yet another hotel proposal (with more parking!), but in a different part of town: by the ballpark.

Developer eyes location near Appalachian Power Park for new hotel

The location, if you can't make it out from the photo, is the southern corner of Smith and Morris Streets. That would be in the existing parking lot next to the Charmco Building. The vacant lot on the northeastern side of Smith Street would be leased from the City for parking by the hotel.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:11 PM

82 posts, read 120,149 times
Huh. That's an interesting choice for a hotel site that I'm not sure I'd have anticipated. Regardless, investment can beget investment... it'll be interesting to see how this turns out, and whether it's successful in the long run of being a piece of the revitalization puzzle in that section of town.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:19 PM

As long as it gets the ball rolling on someone finally doing something with the Charmco Building, they can build whatever they want.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 PM

Wow! I am shocked by the announcement, but not surprised by the idea.I have thought for a long time that a hotel would work there along with mixed-use development. of course, this is a lot sooner than I had anticipated! I like it, but I am doubtful this will pan out.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Wow! I am shocked by the announcement, but not surprised by the idea.I have thought for a long time that a hotel would work there along with mixed-use development. of course, this is a lot sooner than I had anticipated! I like it, but I am doubtful this will pan out.

What is wrong with me? I am always the odd man out on these things.

Have any of these people walked that area at night or walked from that area to Capitol Street or even further to Town Center or even further to the Civic Center where a hotelier want to visit? I can tell you from have owned property in this area it is not for the faint of heart. Granted, the ballpark is a nice addition and the totally obscenely priced condos add some feel of day time acceptance but when the sun goes, this area transforms like a special effect.

The second question that needs to be asked is if the old Heart-o-Town motor lodge had to be broken up into competing properties and sit in a better area with nearer access to Capitol/Town Center/Civic Center and they could not make it, what makes them think a property in a worse location can? Especially of the twin properties at the Heart-o-Town are still in the business?

This is crazy.

If someone wants to build a new property in town, it needs to be by the Civic Center or if the must be outside that zone, at least tear down the Heart-o-Town and build one nice hotel.

That area back there is in the warehouse district and at night it is a drug seller/buyers market in the open on the street. Something else to consider is that it is 1 block from the walkway leading down from the Housing Project on the hill above the interstate.

I have to shake my head.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
What is wrong with me? I am always the odd man out on these things.

Have any of these people walked that area at night or walked from that area to Capitol Street or even further to Town Center or even further to the Civic Center where a hotelier want to visit? I can tell you from have owned property in this area it is not for the faint of heart. Granted, the ballpark is a nice addition and the totally obscenely priced condos add some feel of day time acceptance but when the sun goes, this area transforms like a special effect.

The second question that needs to be asked is if the old Heart-o-Town motor lodge had to be broken up into competing properties and sit in a better area with nearer access to Capitol/Town Center/Civic Center and they could not make it, what makes them think a property in a worse location can? Especially of the twin properties at the Heart-o-Town are still in the business?

This is crazy.

If someone wants to build a new property in town, it needs to be by the Civic Center or if the must be outside that zone, at least tear down the Heart-o-Town and build one nice hotel.

That area back there is in the warehouse district and at night it is a drug seller/buyers market in the open on the street. Something else to consider is that it is 1 block from the walkway leading down from the Housing Project on the hill above the interstate.

I have to shake my head.
In order for this to be a realistic place for development, there will need to be millions of dollars of investment in the surrounding properties including the Charmco building, Plaza East, and some of the left over Kyle buildings. The Warehouse District is cleaning up with the new condos, new ATV dealership "Hidden Trails", and the DOH building a new building and renovating a few others. Another problem is the homeless that are everywhere down there.

I am often guilty of being extremely too optimistic about urban renewal. I want to see everything between the Elk River and the 35th Street Bridge become a Mecca for development and renewal. Honestly though I don't see this hotel happening, simply because it is too soon in the renewal of the warehouse districts progress. I also couldn't see it being anything too upscale.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
In order for this to be a realistic place for development, there will need to be millions of dollars of investment in the surrounding properties including the Charmco building, Plaza East, and some of the left over Kyle buildings. The Warehouse District is cleaning up with the new condos, new ATV dealership "Hidden Trails", and the DOH building a new building and renovating a few others. Another problem is the homeless that are everywhere down there.

I am often guilty of being extremely too optimistic about urban renewal. I want to see everything between the Elk River and the 35th Street Bridge become a Mecca for development and renewal. Honestly though I don't see this hotel happening, simply because it is too soon in the renewal of the warehouse districts progress. I also couldn't see it being anything too upscale.

I think the closest you could get to something that would fit your vision would be a scaled back version of Easton on the site of the Plaza East. If the project consumed all of the property between Morris, Ruffner, Lewis and the rail line you would have a footprint large enough to make it worth the effort. Of course the WV Dept of Transportation and Workforce would have to find new homes, but really should any state dept be squatting in a decaying warehouse or old Kmart?

I have also thought it might be a good idea to continue the plan the state used to move traffic around the Capitol Complex when they made Piedmont a high traffic corridor alongside the rail line. If that idea were extended all the way across town and met up with Smith Street behind Capital Market it would provide a high capacity corridor that would act as a natural barrier to the properties across the tracks and give a feeling of safety with a well-lit, well-maintained traffic corridor. Along this route would be the new shopping center, ball park and then a new hotel might make some sense. But, Kanawha Manufacturing is not likely to ever move. That is a family business though and the children now run it and having spoken to some of them, they may be a bit tired of carrying on the family business.

All pie in the sky, but progress evolves out of such things...keep dreaming Chris, the future feeds off of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston