Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 08:41 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
There is not now or has there ever been a Four Seasons in Charleston. If it is truly a Hyatt, it can under no circumstances be a Hyatt Place. That is the equivalent of IHG's Holiday Inn Express. No way no How!!!!!!!! If Hyatt wants it they can build a 20 story real Hyatt Convention Center Hotel or let Hilton or someone else have a shot. Anything less than a Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin or Crown Plaza is useless This needs to be a convention center hotel the finest quality

Thank you for the correction on my wording, I did mean the Four Points which is different from the Four Seasons brand.

However, I disagree with your view on the convention center hotel brand restrictions. The best hotel is the one that the visitors to Charleston will support on a daily basis. If we were Pittsburgh as your name suggest, this perhaps a 20 story Hilton is called for. Charleston does not need either a 20 story hotel or a Hilton to have a successful hotel at the convention center.

The current footprint being discussed does not allow for a proper convention center hotel and I think the folks at Beni Kedem will come to that same conclusion and incorporate the Temple property and move their facility elsewhere. If they do that, then a proper convention center hotel with direct access to the center and garage will be possible.

But, I do not think Charleston is ready for a 20 story hotel regardless of the brand as that implies a hotel with 500 rooms and the group is looking for circa 150. The 16 floor Marriott is the biggest with 374 rooms and that is probably a hard property to keep above 80%.

As Sheraton already runs the Four Points 12 story, 176 rooms, I don't see them adding to their stock.

Hilton already has a lot of stock here as well, with the Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn locations downtown and in South Charleston.

Crowne Plaza is part of the Holiday Inn group, I think we can do better than that.

Westin has no presence but are they worth it? The one in Cincinnati is meh to me. Seems very cookie cutter and just sort of bland. It is a big hotel, 28 floors but other than size, it is just another box of windows with high prices for no real worth.

I am not a huge fan of Hyatt Place but the others are already here or seem to have no desire to come. Hyatt Place is definitely hit or miss on their properties so caution is merited, but I do not think it would be a mistake to have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Here is to hoping that whatever hotel brand that is decided upon is no worse than a Hyatt Place or similar quality hotel. We cannot afford for a Candlewood Suites or Quality Inn to be right in the heart of the CBD. It is bad enough that the Holiday Inn Express is where it is, but at least they gave it somewhat of a face-lift a few years back.

Also, I think in order for a developer to really have success on this property, the Masons are going to have to give up their building. But maybe they could use this as an opportunity to upgrade, as their current setup isn't anything impressive. Since they already own both properties, why couldn't they convince the developer to allow them some space attached to the hotel. I assume that whatever hotel is going in will already have meeting space planned out, but maybe they can build a wing exclusive to the Beni Kedem folks that would not interfere with hotel operations. Just some thoughts.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Just to highlight the hit and miss nature of hotels, I've never had an issue with a Hyatt Place or Holiday Inn Express locations. We all know it comes down to the individual property owners and their business and customer service strategies but I wouldn't write off some of the hotels just because of the name.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Developer moves to build new Corridor G shopping center

Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Conflicted on this one.

I love development but OMG I live once exit down in Chestnut Ridge Estates and it is already a war zone through that intersection leading into Walmart and now they want to mirror the traffic making it a 4-way. Might be time for an over pass.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 PM

There isn't a lot of roomright there for anything too signifigant, but i hope that this happens. Id love to see an Old Navy and a Bed Bath &Beyond. Sheetz is probably a guarantee

Old 06-09-2016, 06:08 AM

There won't be any money for an overpass. The issue with that traffic is that the 3 way intersection serves as the only entry point most people are willing to use to enter the shopping areas. I think a better plan would be to build an efficient second entrance. Perhaps the one way exit lane next to Buffalo Wild Wings could be redesigned to handle two way traffic.

I believe the plan from 2014 that was referenced is the one that included rumors of a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market. Both could fit on that property with a couple of secondary businesses connected to the building.

Nothing against Bed Bath and Beyond or Old Navy but if they would be tenants in this potential development, I would be greatly disappointed.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
There won't be any money for an overpass. The issue with that traffic is that the 3 way intersection serves as the only entry point most people are willing to use to enter the shopping areas. I think a better plan would be to build an efficient second entrance. Perhaps the one way exit lane next to Buffalo Wild Wings could be redesigned to handle two way traffic.

I believe the plan from 2014 that was referenced is the one that included rumors of a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market. Both could fit on that property with a couple of secondary businesses connected to the building.

Nothing against Bed Bath and Beyond or Old Navy but if they would be tenants in this potential development, I would be greatly disappointed.
Only reason I thought of them was because both were rumored back in 2014 and both currently have no presence in Charleston. I could't imagine anything too elaborate with the scale that this place will be limited to. You might see 2-3 small anchors, and 6-10 smaller stores/restaurants. This will certainly be a different project than the one planned a few years ago as this will be a new developer. I can't imagine Whole Foods being in on this, as now there will be another grocery store in ALDI across the way, and Kroger at Ashton Place has become a quality competitor to anything WF would offer.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:05 AM

I forgot that Aldi is moving into the old Staples location. Yeah with that plan I highly doubt we see a Trader Joe's mentioned in this development.

Looking at the store roster for the Corridor G area, I have to wonder what need or want isn't being fulfilled currently. As you mentioned maybe Old Navy and/or Bed Bath and Beyond fit that category but maybe not.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:18 AM

456 posts, read 602,379 times
Kirklands which just moved back into West Virginia in Morgantown. world market,Stein Mart, Burlinton Coat,Garden Ridge, Pottery Barn, Ross,Hobby Lobby, DFS shoes, Whole foods, Party City, Five Below, many others that Charleston doesn't have. maybe get a Cheesecake Factory or Dave and Busters. so many chains that have never been anywhere in West Vieginia would be welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston