Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 08:41 AM

6,074 posts, read 9,098,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
I read this this morning, thanks for posting here. This is huge news for the East End. I'm especially happy to see 1601 finally put to good use. Hopefully if 1601 is a success, it'll renew interest in the New China building. The infill in the no-man's-land created by the vacant Burger King lot is going to help a lot, too.
The only thing I regret is that would have been the ideal place for an East End grocery store, which has been desired for years now. Still, I'd rather it develop like this than not at all. I am excited for all of these places, but specifically for the "Taziki's". I have tried the one in Morgantown (Suncrest) and it was great. I am also happy for the "Little Donkey", as the East End has been missing this type of place. Quickly Washington street is filling up with great things. There is still plenty of opportunities for more businesses. Personally I'd like to have see the entire block from Morris Street to Bradford redeveloped with a grocery store, new Rite Aid, these restaurants, a new Moxxee Coffee Shop, and possibly a residential component.

I agree in that hopefully this will prompt the development of the New China Building. Even a new Asian restaurant would be welcome there IMO. Putting something in both of those buildings will greatly enhance the appearance of that block. There is very limited parking through there, but people like myself would be able to walk there anyways, as well as the multitudes of state employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,628 times
I still wish the New China Building would've been turned into a concert venue. That would've been a great set-up.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I still wish the New China Building would've been turned into a concert venue. That would've been a great set-up.
I never understood why that fell through, and yes that would have been great.

Another building that needs a tenant is the one between Wendy's and Tricky Fish. The build is certainly better suited for office space, but a store, salon, spa, tanning place, etc...

Old 11-07-2016, 10:44 AM

583 posts, read 593,323 times
This will be great if it happens. I still don't understand why they can't put a Trader Joe's someone on the East End near one of the interstate exits. The New China building was supposed to be the "East End Music Hall". That would have been very neat. I still believe that Charleston could be a much smaller version of Nashville if the leadership here ever gets some new and younger blood with ambition. We've got Mountain Stage sitting right here. Need to try to tie in UC to the East End somehow too.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:39 PM

778 posts, read 795,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
This will be great if it happens. I still don't understand why they can't put a Trader Joe's someone on the East End near one of the interstate exits. The New China building was supposed to be the "East End Music Hall". That would have been very neat. I still believe that Charleston could be a much smaller version of Nashville if the leadership here ever gets some new and younger blood with ambition. We've got Mountain Stage sitting right here. Need to try to tie in UC to the East End somehow too.

I am somewhat baffled that Charleston has not become a little Nashville as well John. West Virginia Country and Bluegrass has a unique sound because it still retains a solid core of the Celtic roots within it. It is not my "go to" choice for music but when I hear it, I love it! The problem I think is that it is a fading awareness for this type of music and with the growth of Cross Country or Pop Country, it dwindles into obscurity. Heck, we have had very popular country songs with RAP in it. Geeze!

The East End is slowing growing and clarifying its cultural identity but it is never going to be in the clear until it gets a supermarket. It can't go into Plaza East (they should bulldoze that eyesore) and there are not a lot of large empty lots around. The only one I can think of is across the street from Moses Automobiles on Washington Street. That would not be a bad location for one but really, the east end needs an inclusive shopping center with a few other stores and perhaps two anchors, something like a Home Depot and a Supermarket. Neither Foodland or Kroger is going to do this. Foodland has one in Elk City and the Kroger location on the Westside is as close as they are going to get.

That means we need a 3rd player. A good choice would be Aldi. It fits with the whole art-minded type of resident that seems to be congregating in the East End.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Smith Company Motor Cars sold to Parkersburg-based Astorg

Old 12-15-2016, 06:36 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,628 times
More info on Bad Shepherd Beer Company (former CBC): Bad Shepherd brewery now official

Oh, and apparently MSNBC's Chuck Todd and "Meet the Press" had a live show there last night. Pretty neat.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:08 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | New Charleston bakery ready to rock

This place looks "sweet", and I am sure it "rocks!"

Old 12-21-2016, 05:48 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,217 times
The new bakery has some good offerings. I recommend them.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:15 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,217 times
Charleston Sears is Closing - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Sears moving forward with plans to close the Charleston Town Center location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston