Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 07:46 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times

Advertisements

Books and Brews pushes for expanded al fresco dining in the city with the opening of their West Side location, plus a targeted opening just after the new year for another Elk City restaurant, Gonzoburger (207 Washington St. W).

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/f...95065804b.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:42 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
That area is quickly becoming a menial mecca. I heard that 2 (I say again, 2!) coffee shops are in the works for that area as well.

The thing that would really tie that neighborhood would be a business in the former Kelly's Men's Shop. I can imagine an outdoor recreation store that sales rock climbing gear, kayaks, mountain bikes, etc... Kind of like an REI, but local. Like a larger "Water Stone Outdoors" in Fayetteville. I could picture a nice Almost Heaven-ish mural on the Go mart side of the building.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:33 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
The Fountain Hobby building is also vacant. It's big enough to support a variety of businesses.

Gonzoburgers is in the old Chris' location. I walked in to take a look a couple of months ago while they were working on the remodel. The world will be grateful if they are able to recreate Chris' hotdogs.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That area is quickly becoming a menial mecca. I heard that 2 (I say again, 2!) coffee shops are in the works for that area as well.

The thing that would really tie that neighborhood would be a business in the former Kelly's Men's Shop. I can imagine an outdoor recreation store that sales rock climbing gear, kayaks, mountain bikes, etc... Kind of like an REI, but local. Like a larger "Water Stone Outdoors" in Fayetteville. I could picture a nice Almost Heaven-ish mural on the Go mart side of the building.
What that part of the Westside needs is an influx of gay homeowners. That segment of the population understands property values, shopping bargains and neighborhood businesses.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 AM

583 posts, read 592,933 times
Definitely agree but buying a house in that area is a risky investment right now.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 PM

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/f...586774895.html

Old 01-10-2018, 06:28 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Has anyone heard when Gonzoburger is opening in Elk City? I've been waiting anxiously to try that place but noticed it wasn't open when I was in over the Holidays. That and Books and Brews (or is it Brews and Books? - I am good as long as there are brews in some capacity) will make really nice additions to that area.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 AM

Gonzoburguer is in the hiring/training phase now, so it shouldn't be long now. As for Books and Brews, they still have a ways to go, but work has progressed nicely on their building. It's incredible the transformation that has taken place in that part of town!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:03 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Has anyone heard when Gonzoburger is opening in Elk City? I've been waiting anxiously to try that place but noticed it wasn't open when I was in over the Holidays. That and Books and Brews (or is it Brews and Books? - I am good as long as there are brews in some capacity) will make really nice additions to that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Gonzoburguer is in the hiring/training phase now, so it shouldn't be long now. As for Books and Brews, they still have a ways to go, but work has progressed nicely on their building. It's incredible the transformation that has taken place in that part of town!
The local homebrewer/beer enthusiasts group was going to see if this month's meetup/bottle share could be held at Gonzoburgers to give Gonzo a small "soft opening" where he could serve some food, but his license to sell beer wouldn't be valid until opening day (which wouldn't matter), but it didn't happen. We'll be meeting elsewhere this evening. I'm pretty sure Gonzo will be open before this month is over.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Rumor mill has it that Gander Mountain spot will become Hobby Lobby. Sounds like a good fit for that spot!

Edit:

Also found out that the old Taft Elementary School site on Bigley Ave. will become a Sunbelt Rental (moved from its spot a couple blocks away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston