Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 06:28 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It looks like some major renovation work is going on at the Ferry Street building that used to be the State Lottery headquarters. Has anybody heard what is going in there?
I noticed that when I was in for Christmas. No idea, but glad to see someone is doing something with it. It would be great if someone would develop the lot adjacent to it. IMO it would make a great local for a convivence store/gas station considering there isn't one on MacCorkle between the Marathon in SC and the 7-11 in KC. It would also hit South Hills people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 05:45 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
It looks like some major renovation work is going on at the Ferry Street building that used to be the State Lottery headquarters. Has anybody heard what is going in there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I noticed that when I was in for Christmas. No idea, but glad to see someone is doing something with it. It would be great if someone would develop the lot adjacent to it. IMO it would make a great local for a convivence store/gas station considering there isn't one on MacCorkle between the Marathon in SC and the 7-11 in KC. It would also hit South Hills people.
The company in that building is called QLabs. I don't know much about them. They provide medical testing services of some kind, and you can go there to get Covid testing done. I think it is a local company.

Like you say, that lot where the GE shop used to be seems like a good spot for a Go Mart or a Sheetz. I know there was soil testing being done before they paved it with asphalt. There are probably PCBs in the soil there from all the years of work on motors and transformers that happened there. That wouldn't keep it from being a gas station, but the land probably isn't suitable for a medical clinic. I wonder if the traffic flow would be an issue there.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:34 AM

Fife Street Brewing is now open. It looks really nice, and is an excellent edition to downtown.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/fife-s...-in-charleston

Old 06-04-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Fife Street Brewing is now open. It looks really nice, and is an excellent edition to downtown.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/fife-s...-in-charleston
I stopped in yesterday. This place is nice. It is clean and has lots of natural light from the huge plate glass windows facing Brawley Walkway. You don't find many breweries described as family friendly, but I saw that in a review on Facebook.

The beer is first rate, too. The brewer joined our homebrew club when he moved to Charleston, so I've already tried several of their beers. They had four main beers on tap yesterday, and added a fifth today. They have a small batch section that is where you find recipes they are trying out. First the had Blarney Fife Irish Red Ale and Sternwheeler Stout, but those had already sold out by the time I got there, but the had a Dubbel named All You Need is Dub.

The four mainline beers are: 1. Charleston Beer - Golden Ale. 2. Charlie West Coast IPA 3. Chuck's P-51 Porter 4. Summers Street Wheat - Weissbier.

I'll try their food next week some time.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:28 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
I stopped in yesterday. This place is nice. It is clean and has lots of natural light from the huge plate glass windows facing Brawley Walkway. You don't find many breweries described as family friendly, but I saw that in a review on Facebook.

The beer is first rate, too. The brewer joined our homebrew club when he moved to Charleston, so I've already tried several of their beers. They had four main beers on tap yesterday, and added a fifth today. They have a small batch section that is where you find recipes they are trying out. First the had Blarney Fife Irish Red Ale and Sternwheeler Stout, but those had already sold out by the time I got there, but the had a Dubbel named All You Need is Dub.

The four mainline beers are: 1. Charleston Beer - Golden Ale. 2. Charlie West Coast IPA 3. Chuck's P-51 Porter 4. Summers Street Wheat - Weissbier.

I'll try their food next week some time.
Great to hear! I also heard excellent reviews from some of my family members who live in Charleston. Looking forward to visiting next time I am in town.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Great to hear! I also heard excellent reviews from some of my family members who live in Charleston. Looking forward to visiting next time I am in town.
Let me know when you are coming to Charleston. We can meet up and gossip about City-Data members over a beer.

Old 06-09-2022, 03:19 PM

My brother and I went to Fife Street Brewery. We had flights, pints, and sandwiches. The food is pretty simple, but it was well made and the dipping sauces were quite good. The beers are excellent and are selling fast. The small batch beers are selling out as fast as they put the kegs on tap. One batch was sold out in one shift. The atmosphere is nice too. When we went, they had some of the big windows open so it was nice and breeze. The place is well lit too. It's much different from other breweries or tap rooms.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:32 PM

Kinship Goods is expanding and adding a new art gallery and event space.

https://kinshipgoods.com/pages/the-future-is-cozy

Old 07-31-2022, 06:59 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
This is really exciting for the West Side community and Charleston in general!

Old 09-01-2022, 03:56 PM

Charleston Nano Brewery has opened in Elk City, making it Charleston's third brewery. They are open Thursday thru Sunday. It's a small family run operation. The beer is good, made in fairly small batches, and will change frequently. They do not have a kitchen, but you are welcome to get carry out from the nearly restaurants and bring your food in. When I took a pizza in, they offered us paper plates and napkins.

Go support a new local business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston