Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I think wv as a whole has and will fare better due to proximity to the megapolis that is boston, providence, nyc, philly, baltimore, dc. A lot of states dont have that. From my house if you drive an hour east houses are selling for outragous amounts of money. Rent in my area is typically 700 to 800 farther east you cant find an apartment for less then 1000. WV has it good and we know it I say buy land now and one day it will pay off big.
Rent in your area is cheap compared to where I am. Here easily 1000+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM

552 posts, read 738,366 times
Just checked craigslist you can find apartments for less then 1000 in motown soooo.....if you want to compare loudon county va to morgantown be my guest. I said an hour east...dc suburbs northern virginia where the median income is over 100,000.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
True enough. The DC burbs have more pressure on them than the Pittsburgh burbs, and that affects rents. However, another reason is builders in Morgantown have been building like crazy thus helping to keep rents reasonable. I have not seen the same level of building activity in the DC suburbs.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Compared to Morgantown? Where in the DC suburbs are you comparing this to? Loudoun County, Virginia alone added almost 150,000 residents between 2000 and 2010. Thats about 50,000 more than the entire population of Mon County. Fairfax and Montgomery Counties each have around 1 million people and they also average about 100,000 new residents each decade. That isn't even counting high growth areas like Arlington and NW DC along with farther out locales like the Eastern Panhandle and Frederick MD.

Morgantown is growing fast but the level of growth and building there is simply not even in the same league as the Washington DC area. And that is a good thing (for Morgantown).

As for Charleston, Huntington and Wheeling having high housing affordability...it boils down to supply and demand. There is a lot of supply and fairly low demand. Although I think they are starting to see a slight uptick. Whether this is attributed to the fact that there has been limited mobility of the population with the national economy in tough shape or if it is a sign of increased local job growth, we will have to wait and see. Hopefully it is the latter.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 01-17-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM

That's what I said. Builders have not kept up with demand in the DC burbs. They have done a better job of doing that in Morgantown. That's why our rents are high, but not that high.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
True enough. The DC burbs have more pressure on them than the Pittsburgh burbs, and that affects rents. However, another reason is builders in Morgantown have been building like crazy thus helping to keep rents reasonable. I have not seen the same level of building activity in the DC suburbs.
I disagree. Townhouses and high rises are popping up everywhere where I am, and I believe even more so in NOVA.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Right, but the exodus from DC and Balto is quicker than they can pop up... that is my point.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Right, but the exodus from DC and Balto is quicker than they can pop up... that is my point.
DC, the city proper, is growing fast. The city is gentrifying rapidly. Im not sure when you went last, but the city has changed from being sketchy to becoming a yuppie haven.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

It has been awhile. Last yuppie place I recall there is Georgetown. I do know my late former father in law retired from Kanawha County Schools and moved to Silver Spring, MD where he got a job teaching at Bullis Academy. That was a nice town in the late 60s. Last time I was there you couldn't go out by yourself at night on Georgia Ave. What a shame.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
It has been awhile. Last yuppie place I recall there is Georgetown. I do know my late former father in law retired from Kanawha County Schools and moved to Silver Spring, MD where he got a job teaching at Bullis Academy. That was a nice town in the late 60s. Last time I was there you couldn't go out by yourself at night on Georgia Ave. What a shame.
All of NW DC is yuppied, along with a good portion of NE. SE is still a ghetto. The metro area, except for PG is pretty yuppish in Montgomery, Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudon. There are pockets of poverty, but it is mainly wealthy.

Silver Springs is a hot area right now, and is a hip area, espcially downtown Silver Springs. It is a big hipster area. There are bad areas of SP but increasingly the poor of SP are being pushed into Wheaton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston