Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe but the old warehouses sort of gives the park a vintage feel. As long as they were left mostly alone on the outside.
Agree, just let me clean them up!

I've always had the idea that there would be two areas in downtown Charleston that could see significant change. One is around the Clay Center/Market/Hospital/Ballpark, and the other is between Virginia St. and the Blvd.

For the first, I could see some what of a Pullman Square kinda feel, with the Clay Center being the center piece. The parking lots to the North and West of the clay center would become apartment buildings on the top floors, with stores and restaurants on the bottom. This would be a good place for a grocery store which the East End has been crying for for years. Other types of businesses would include banks, cafes, book stores, and restayrants. The idea is to make a community shopping center for the East End. while at the same time giving the Clay Center a better base to attract people. The warehouses behind the ballpark would become new condos, with a direct walking path to the Capital Market, Clay Center, and CAMC. I could see medical staff living here and walking to work. The rest of that area could just use business in general. Maybe updating the outside of the Best western and Fairfield would help too.

kinda like thishttp://www.southsideworks.com/shop.htm

The second area needs to build both apartments and office buildings. Courtyard is expected for this area, but office buildings along the river would be great too. This might happen in the next decade with office capacity full in downtown and business doing well in the city. There are plans of building a new office building beside the new hotel, and the FBI just finished a new office building in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Something to tie the ballpark and the Clay center together would be nice. I'm only in Charleston 4-5 times a year so I have no idea what people desire out of the area but if there were shops or something else to draw one to the area I might go more often and would plan on staying longer than we do now.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'd like to see those old warehouses (4-6floor brick ones) turned into condos. Then between the Clay Center and ball park have mixed use development.

The building in center/right field is for sale/lease. IMO the building looks to be in really good shape and would make some really nice apts. Put a place on the roof that those who live there could use on game day.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The building in center/right field is for sale/lease. IMO the building looks to be in really good shape and would make some really nice apts. Put a place on the roof that those who live there could use on game day.
Nice Idea, those ones in Left Field would be great too, just need a little more TLC

I think CAMC needs a facelift on the backside where the on ramp is, That would help the area look a little better.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM

I could do without the helicopters for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston