Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
When you come up with a half billion dollars to build a cracker plant then put it were you want.

You seem to be the only person crying about the location of this. Where is the public and political outcry?
The issue is the taxpayer subsidies they are receiving. If they want to waste their money in a plant that will go out of business in a few years I dont care. I care when all of WV has to subsidize a plant this company is using as a tax writeoff to take advantage of subsidies, that which the state is supporting as a handout to Charleston.

I am not the only person commenting on how stupid this is. Several posters have mentioned how retarded this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In the long run, a company will build a manufacturing facility (in this case a cracker) where they think they can get the best return on their investment. After all, that is their commitment to their shareholders. Tax incentives, labor costs, distance to market, building costs, and utility costs are all parts of the equation, but each is only a part. These manufacturing facilities are similar to chemical plants or refineries in that they need steam, lots of water, compressed air, gaseous nitrogen, and high voltage 3-phase electricity. If they have to build a steam plant, air compressors, nitrogen generators, etc., the construction costs are much higher than if these things already exist, as they do at Institute. The existence of these thing would surely outweigh any tax incentive. BTW, I see local news from Charleston every day and I've seen nothing about any incentives to build in the Kanawha Valley as opposed to any other site in WV. There are chemical plants in or near Parkersburg, New Martinsville, Point Pleasant, and others where all these facilities also exist. I would assume that these same features would be available at a coal fired power plant, but I can't say for sure. I'd sure like to see some evidence that corruption influenced the business decisions in this case. Note: I'm not saying it didn't, but I do say it is unfair to make statements that have no support. If corruption is present, show it.
These tax incentives were written up for a plant in Charleston. Without building in Charleston or close to it they wont exist. After Charleston gets its handout they might let other places get the same subsidies , but if CHarleston doesnt get its handout than no subidies for anyone.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Can somebody post a link to the WV Code section that grants these so-called tax incentives? If the legislature passed a bill and turned it into a law, it is somewhere in the Code. Otherwise, this discussion is simply speculation, not facts.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Can somebody post a link to the WV Code section that grants these so-called tax incentives? If the legislature passed a bill and turned it into a law, it is somewhere in the Code. Otherwise, this discussion is simply speculation, not facts.
Cracker tax break could cost locality $300 million* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

It is $300 million we are giving away as a handout to private business and Charleston. $300 million that all of WV is paying for that is not going to healthcare, educuation, infrastructure, and there is a word for this and it is called CORRUPTION.

Like I said I dont mind a private company making poor business decisions when only their money is involved. However, all of WV is paying for this. THis will even hurt Charleston. It will ensure the industry developes in PA and wont develope in WV. In the long run it will really hurt Charleston, more than short term construction jobs and running an unused plant for a year or two. $300 million is a lot to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Cracker tax break could cost locality $300 million* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

It is $300 million we are giving away as a handout to private business and Charleston. $300 million that all of WV is paying for that is not going to healthcare, educuation, infrastructure, and there is a word for this and it is called CORRUPTION.

Like I said I dont mind a private company making poor business decisions when only their money is involved. However, all of WV is paying for this. THis will even hurt Charleston. It will ensure the industry developes in PA and wont develope in WV. In the long run it will really hurt Charleston, more than short term construction jobs and running an unused plant for a year or two. $300 million is a lot to shoot ourselves in the foot.
You are using an article taliking about the craker we didn't get, Not the Institute one! You need to chill out because you obviously don't know what your talking abbout and several people on here have tried telling you you are wrong.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Well, that is a newspaper article; not a legislative law or bill. The law, as passed by the legislature is here: HB 4086 Text

Read it yourself. There is absolutely NOTHING in the law that restricts where in West Virginia the facility can be built. There is mention of a steel or chemical zone. There is no steel zone anywhere near Charleston, yet a manufacturing facility in a steel zone is qualified to apply for the tax credit. How does that so-called "corruption" benefit Charleston if the facility goes to a steel zone entity? The steel zone is the Northern Panhandle. I don't read anything in that bill that nudges the development toward the Kanawha Valley.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Well, that is a newspaper article; not a legislative law or bill. The law, as passed by the legislature is here: HB 4086 Text

Read it yourself. There is absolutely NOTHING in the law that restricts where in West Virginia the facility can be built. There is mention of a steel or chemical zone. There is no steel zone anywhere near Charleston, yet a manufacturing facility in a steel zone is qualified to apply for the tax credit. How does that so-called "corruption" benefit Charleston if the facility goes to a steel zone entity? The steel zone is the Northern Panhandle. I don't read anything in that bill that nudges the development toward the Kanawha Valley.
They passed this law to get a place in CHARLESTON. If it is built anywhere it disappears. If Charleston could move the steel zone to Charleston they could, but it is too far from the industry, just like this CRACKER plant.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
You are using an article taliking about the craker we didn't get, Not the Institute one! You need to chill out because you obviously don't know what your talking abbout and several people on here have tried telling you you are wrong.

Yes, they want the SAME tax breaks. In fact the plant is smaller and will hire FAR less people but they get same breaks. Stupid chris. This company just wants taxpayer money and a writeoff.

Chris, you need to chill out. You obviously dont know what you are talking about, or do know this is BS but are supporting this blindly out of loyalty to CHarleston. Several people have mentioned why this move makes no sense and how it is being done for government subisides.

I realize you want this to work Chris. That doesnt change the fact the state is paying millions to subisidize a plant that is going to fail because it makes no business sense. I would support this plant if it was public, but I will not support CORRUPTION.

Im sorry people, but YOU are wrong, and wishful thinking wont change the reality of this scam run by this company and the state government.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
They passed this law to get a place in CHARLESTON. If it is built anywhere it disappears. If Charleston could move the steel zone to Charleston they could, but it is too far from the industry, just like this CRACKER plant.

So far, you've made 11 post in this thread with untrue statements in all of them. If you had anything at all to back up your ridiculous claim that the legislature passed a corrupt bill to get the plant built in Charleston, you would have posted your evidence by now and said "See, there it is." However, there is nothing there. For some reason, you hate Charleston so much that you left the entire state, but choose to come in here and put the state down at every opportunity.

Repeating myself. There is absolutely nothing in that law to indicate that the plant has to be built near Charleston.

People come to the forum areas looking for the truth about the area. It is a serious disservice to City-Data to continue posting things that are not true and repeating them as if the repetitions would make them become true.

Whatever corruption exists is not in this bit of legislation.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
So far, you've made 11 post in this thread with untrue statements in all of them. If you had anything at all to back up your ridiculous claim that the legislature passed a corrupt bill to get the plant built in Charleston, you would have posted your evidence by now and said "See, there it is." However, there is nothing there. For some reason, you hate Charleston so much that you left the entire state, but choose to come in here and put the state down at every opportunity.

Repeating myself. There is absolutely nothing in that law to indicate that the plant has to be built near Charleston.

People come to the forum areas looking for the truth about the area. It is a serious disservice to City-Data to continue posting things that are not true and repeating them as if the repetitions would make them become true.

Whatever corruption exists is not in this bit of legislation.
I dont hate CHarleston. I hate how the politicos in CHarleston steal from the rest of the state to create corporate welfare in Charleston. This is just another example of the state picking up the expenses of a private business, while letting the profits flow to a few rich owners. The worst part is this plant is doomed to fail.

Now you are ignoring all the posters who commented on the corruption and the stupidity of this, and want to focus solely on me. That is fine, but it doesnt change the facts. I realize you desperatetly want to convince yourselfs this is legit, but like you said repeating the untrue fact this is not corrupt or a good decision wont make it true, despite how many times you repeat it.

Like I said I would support this if the state was not picking up the tab. Hell I would support it if Kanawha county picked up the tab. However, I will not support corporate welfare when the state picks up the tab and there is no benefit to the state. In fact this will hurt the state by ensuring the industry goes to PA. Charleston's corruption already cost the state a larger cracker plant, and now its corruption will cost WV a big industry. Too bad Charleston is too shortsighted and greedy to see how they are only hurting themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston