Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times

Advertisements

An aquarium is a good idea, but I think we need to take it a set further than that. Here is what I'd like to see happen. When the new library builds its new facility, they donate their old building to the Clay Center to turn into an art museum. Any Aquarium needs to be tied in with the Clay Center as well, and other tourist like attractions like an adventure park (see bellow) could be build in either the lot on north of the Clay Center, or near the Civic Center some where. The Clay Center would operate either operate or cooperate with these attractions and provide shuttles for visitors to hop from one location to the next (or people could walk).

An Adventure Park would host numerous types of things that would not only be for visitors but locals. Imagine an indoor facility with lots of simulators, rockwalls, zip-lines, bungie type rides, and other types of thrill inspired things that youth would enjoy. It would be similar to a theme park, but with more learning involved, and less big rides.

I could see an Aquarium be built where Shoney's and Captain D's are now, it would have to be a beautiful structure that brings a real impact with the skline view from the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
An Adventure Park would host numerous types of things that would not only be for visitors but locals. Imagine an indoor facility with lots of simulators, rockwalls, zip-lines, bungie type rides, and other types of thrill inspired things that youth would enjoy. It would be similar to a theme park, but with more learning involved, and less big rides.

I could see an Aquarium be built where Shoney's and Captain D's are now, it would have to be a beautiful structure that brings a real impact with the skline view from the river.
You have to be very careful in what you choose though, and make sure it appeals to a vast number of people who may come to visit. For example, at one point early on, Chattanooga almost scrapped the idea of the Aquarium altogether, and want to just do the arts district. If they had done that, it would have been an incredibly failure - I support the arts, but I'm not going to drive 2 to 3 hours just to go to a museum. By doing their Aquarium first, then adding an arts district next to it, both thrive very well now. Timing and the right mix of things is what makes it happen there, but that formula might not work everywhere else, too. Remember, this region with the three larger cities has an incredibly diverse population of Appalachia with Nashville and Knoxville, but mixed/foreign/tourist from Atlanta. Less homogenous than what is in the region up there. A very large aquarium here does well, but in Charleston, it could be a big flop. For example, Atlanta opened it's Aquarium and it's only two hours from Chattanooga, yet both do very well - but it's because both of them feature completely different things. Chattanooga focuses more on River life and more natural habitat style indoor design, and the Georgia Aquarium focuses more on larger things like Whale Sharks, Belugas, Dolphins... sea life. Very different themes to both, so they both do very well, plus in Atlanta you have a Coke museum next door, CNN a block away, etc (stuff that can't be duplicated in Charleston, obviously).

I kind of like the idea of an adventure park in Charleston though, with more to it as part of a much larger outdoor/nature themed attraction. The indoor activities being a plus, as well as perhaps an actual zoo that features animals in native habitats that are native to Appalachia such as Black Bear, Mountain Lions... things you may not see every day even if you live there (along with a petting zoo). And I stress, native habitat exhibits for the animals, not caged. A smaller aquarium could also be part of that zoo facility, as opposed to a huge standalone facility of it's own. Add to that some River activities (tours on boats, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDurham View Post
The city council and mayor NEED to understand that stuff like lighting...parks....underground electric so the power lines are hidden...stuff like that can change the ENTIRE perception of a town. And it boosts local pride in the city, meaning that people are not as easily ready to pack up and leave for "greener pastures".
I agree, but I think it's up to the voters during the next round of elections to ensure that people get in office who DO understand these things (if they even bother to run), because from my understanding from relatives who still live there in the area, those who are in office now really aren't the type who think about things like this (or care to).

Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You have to be very careful in what you choose though, and make sure it appeals to a vast number of people who may come to visit. For example, at one point early on, Chattanooga almost scrapped the idea of the Aquarium altogether, and want to just do the arts district. If they had done that, it would have been an incredibly failure - I support the arts, but I'm not going to drive 2 to 3 hours just to go to a museum. By doing their Aquarium first, then adding an arts district next to it, both thrive very well now. Timing and the right mix of things is what makes it happen there, but that formula might not work everywhere else, too. Remember, this region with the three larger cities has an incredibly diverse population of Appalachia with Nashville and Knoxville, but mixed/foreign/tourist from Atlanta. Less homogenous than what is in the region up there. A very large aquarium here does well, but in Charleston, it could be a big flop. For example, Atlanta opened it's Aquarium and it's only two hours from Chattanooga, yet both do very well - but it's because both of them feature completely different things. Chattanooga focuses more on River life and more natural habitat style indoor design, and the Georgia Aquarium focuses more on larger things like Whale Sharks, Belugas, Dolphins... sea life. Very different themes to both, so they both do very well, plus in Atlanta you have a Coke museum next door, CNN a block away, etc (stuff that can't be duplicated in Charleston, obviously).

I kind of like the idea of an adventure park in Charleston though, with more to it as part of a much larger outdoor/nature themed attraction. The indoor activities being a plus, as well as perhaps an actual zoo that features animals in native habitats that are native to Appalachia such as Black Bear, Mountain Lions... things you may not see every day even if you live there (along with a petting zoo). And I stress, native habitat exhibits for the animals, not caged. A smaller aquarium could also be part of that zoo facility, as opposed to a huge standalone facility of it's own. Add to that some River activities (tours on boats, etc).

I agree, but I think it's up to the voters during the next round of elections to ensure that people get in office who DO understand these things (if they even bother to run), because from my understanding from relatives who still live there in the area, those who are in office now really aren't the type who think about things like this (or care to).
Who would pay for all of this? Does Charleston have the funds?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Who would pay for all of this? Does Charleston have the funds?
Tax Payers Duh!

No really though, it would take a local wealthy investor, or a company that does this stuff all over the country.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
it would take a local wealthy investor, or a company that does this stuff all over the country.
Pretty much one way it's done these days. HERE is some info about how the Tennessee Aquarium got it's start, how it maintains itself, etc., just to use that facility as an example. Lower attendance now due to the times/competition, but it's still more than holding it's own.

And HERE is an article about how that one facility changed Chattanooga's entire downtown area (and other areas) as well.

Again, not saying specifically an Aquarium would solve Charleston's issues due to geography and some other things. As I said earlier, Charleston may need a "multi-purpose" attraction that incorporates bits and pieces of things that have worked in other areas. A smaller scale Aquarium MIGHT be a part of that, and work, or it may wind up being something entirely different. I keep using Chattanooga's experience because since it's closer to where I live now, I've seen the before and after of that area and have a first-hand experience of how much of a change it brought to their city. And it's similar in some ways to Charleston as well, being similar in size (slightly larger), in a valley, on a river, surrounded by mountains, etc. So their experience is worth studying and exploring, and possibly adapting in such a way that Charleston could come up with a tourist draw. I think the only thing that stands in the way is City leadership. Chattanooga 20 years ago had a group of leaders that got a fire lit under their butts and they really went wild in order to get their facility off the ground. From what my relatives who still live in Charleston tell me, the current Charleston leaders lack that fire, or even a spark for that matter. So it'll be up to the next set of leaders if they step forward to take over, and, if people realize the need to vote for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston