Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times

Advertisements

Hip, Historic Charleston. I thought this was very well done by our C&VB

Welcome To Hip, Historic... Almost Heaven Charleston WV - YouTube

Nice to hear Morgan Freeman's voice too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
That was great!

Makes me miss my beautiful home back up north in WV

Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM

I didn't realize you moved out of the state Chris.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 PM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I didn't realize you moved out of the state Chris.
I'm going to college in Florida right now, but I'll be back

Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Interesting, the "I sound like Morgan Freeman but I'm not", voice for the narrator. I've actually heard this guy do voiceovers for other projects, and in a discussion elsewhere supposedly he was quoted as saying, "When you can't afford the other guy, rent me". LOL

Pretty decent video overall, though. There's always been an extreme lack of any type of promo videos for Charleston compared to other cities, and I always found that strange. They need more.

One funny quote in the video though is when pseudo-Freeman says, "As we say in Charleston... it's all about the food". I don't actually remember anyone saying that when I was growing up there... but we did eat a lot. lol

Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Interesting, the "I sound like Morgan Freeman but I'm not", voice for the narrator. I've actually heard this guy do voiceovers for other projects, and in a discussion elsewhere supposedly he was quoted as saying, "When you can't afford the other guy, rent me". LOL

Pretty decent video overall, though. There's always been an extreme lack of any type of promo videos for Charleston compared to other cities, and I always found that strange. They need more.

One funny quote in the video though is when pseudo-Freeman says, "As we say in Charleston... it's all about the food". I don't actually remember anyone saying that when I was growing up there... but we did eat a lot. lol
Greg, here i really thought they paid the real MF to do the voiceover! lol I guess it worked because it fooled at least one person.

I didn't know you grew up in Charleston. For some reason i thought you were from Martinsburg or somewhere in the EP.

I agree, Charleston hasn't always been "all about the food" but it's actually starting to become a foodie hub, especially for such a small city. There is a decent mix of dining options in a very small radius within downtown these days. And hopefully there are even better days ahead.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
I didn't know you grew up in Charleston. For some reason i thought you were from Martinsburg or somewhere in the EP.

I agree, Charleston hasn't always been "all about the food" but it's actually starting to become a foodie hub, especially for such a small city.
I grew up on the West Side (it was actually a NICE area in the 1970s), and also lived in the Kanawha City area before moving to Atlanta after I graduated from High School.

Good to hear the restaurant scene is picking up there. When I moved, Town Center Mall was a new mall, and Corridor-G wasn't even a concept - most chain restaurants were bypassing Charleston back then, and with the exception of a core group of established privately owned ones, the choices were much slimmer than they are today.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I grew up on the West Side (it was actually a NICE area in the 1970s), and also lived in the Kanawha City area before moving to Atlanta after I graduated from High School.

Good to hear the restaurant scene is picking up there. When I moved, Town Center Mall was a new mall, and Corridor-G wasn't even a concept - most chain restaurants were bypassing Charleston back then, and with the exception of a core group of established privately owned ones, the choices were much slimmer than they are today.
Several attempts to restore some of the old establishments have been made recently. Blossom Dairy Company re-opened for a short while, and i believe it closed it's doors again this summer, and if i'm not mistaken, the Quarrior Street Diner is now open, and has a really neat sports bar downstairs.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 AM

16 posts, read 32,054 times
It is an interesting video about Charleston. I personally dislike Charleston and it is dubbed "The Chemical Valley." Morgantown is probably the best place in WV for living with Pittsburgh being a short drive away!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Hip, Historic Charleston. I thought this was very well done by our C&VB

Welcome To Hip, Historic... Almost Heaven Charleston WV - YouTube

Nice to hear Morgan Freeman's voice too
Don't like it at all. Ugh.

I've never been there, but the video looks like what Everycity, USA wants to be and will never be.

So what's the real Charleston like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston