Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,100 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about GWHS? We're thinking of moving to Charleston and GWHS has a 10/10 rating on Greatschools.com, but the community reviews and test scores were....confusing.

For starters, the community reviews mentioned some kind of controversy around a lecture given a year or two back? Does anyone know about this or am I being too vague?

Also, the test scores were extremely poor. A 66% in math, a 55% in science. I don't know if the WV state tests are structured differently , but those scores are alarming, especially for a school rated 10/10. They're much better than the state average but still poor.

Also, there are reviews saying that the community is a bit snobby. I wouldn't be alarmed if it was just one review but there were 3-5 saying that. I know South Hills is the rich area of Charleston, but if we moved there we'd likely rent a house. Would that give us any problems in the community, or is it generally open and accepting like most of WV.

I'm not sure if anyone knows much but any information would be greatly appreciated. The thought of moving to WV was a bit of a shellshock at the beginning but we soon realized that the sterotypes are all rubbish in most parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
GW always ranks as one of the best schools in the state. I don't know anything about test scores. My kids have been out of school for far too long for me to have that info.

I've never lived in South Hills, but it wouldn't surprise me to find some of the more exclusive addresses a bit snobbish. I would not expect that to be an issue. People move in and out of Charleston all the time. It's not a BIG city, but it's not a little 500 person town either. For the most part, Charleston is a city open to lots of diversity

Find out a little more about this lecture and we'll try to tell you what we know. Who? When? Where? Topic?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
I'd agree with what mensa said. George Washington (or G Dub) is always a top performing school, and actually has been nationally recognized before.

South Hills has a few snobs, but for the most part is friendly. The area is definitely "high end" for WV standards and has some nice restaurants and shops right in the community. You will be welcomed there just like any part of WV.

Another part of town that is in Capital's district is parts of Kanawha city. You might want to look into that part of Charleston as it is probably cheaper, and is closer to more stuff.

And yes the stereotypes are rubbish!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM

You've got a good point, Chris. If you live in South Hills, you can get to Lola's and Bridge Road Bistro very quickly. Lola's pizzas and salads are to die for, and the Bistro doesn't know how to make anything that isn't delicious. They both have good selections of beer too.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 10,100 times
Thanks very much for the info! One last thing, how is the topography in most of Charleston. My family looked at the houses near GWHS and they were all on big hills. We used to live in a very flat area in Ohio and the larger hills are hard to navigate around. Are most all properties in Charleston on hills or is that just the area around the high school?

Also, how diverse is Charleston? My family are middle-eastern and it would help if there was a community in the area.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 AM

WV is called The Mountain State. Hills are pretty much everywhere. They had to cut down 3 hills and level the land to build the airport. Kanawha City and the East End are flat. South Hills is hilly.

I don't see diversity as an issue that needs to concern you in Charleston.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacomoleholy View Post
Thanks very much for the info! One last thing, how is the topography in most of Charleston. My family looked at the houses near GWHS and they were all on big hills. We used to live in a very flat area in Ohio and the larger hills are hard to navigate around. Are most all properties in Charleston on hills or is that just the area around the high school?

Also, how diverse is Charleston? My family are middle-eastern and it would help if there was a community in the area.
South Hills is extremely hilly, and for some one who is not use to driving on mountain roads (especially during winter) I'd advise a little caution. With that being said, the roads are taken care of and should not be a problem with a little experience on them. Like stated above, Kanawha City, the East End are good neighborhoods that are flat.

Also like Mensa said, the city isn't NYC, but it is fairly diverse and welcoming of all ethnic and racial groups. I believe there is a good amount of middle eastern residents, with alot of them being in South Hills.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM

There are a few Middle Eastern places, such as the Middle East Mart on Laidley St., the Sahara restaurant on Summers St., and the Aladdin restaurant across from CAMC Memorial on Chesterfield Ave.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:11 PM

198 posts, read 413,595 times
There are many middle eastern families with students at GW.

I would not want my kids to go to any other high school in the Charleston area other than GW. It is a great school.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:26 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
There are few places in the GW school district without hills. I recommend looking at houses off of corridor G toward Logan as they are might not be as hilly. However, you are looking for rental property so your choices will be limited, in my opinion.

Being a middle eastern family in the GW district will not be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston