Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dealing with Herbert Hoover
Hoover students consolidate into Capital and Sissonsville 3 23.08%
Repair current Herbert Hoover 0 0%
Build new Herbert Hoover somewhere else 8 61.54%
Consolidate Hoover and Sissonsville into new school 2 15.38%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:21 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times

Advertisements

Here's your answer:

Brand new facility to be constructed in place of Herbert Hoover High School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 06:33 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
^Thanks you beat me to it,

Here is the Gazette article.
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Kanawha superintendent: Hoover will get a new facility

Estimated cost would be roughly $45-50 million. The school will be "near" the current location, and the sports complex will be repaired and used. In the future, new sports fields could be built and the current facilities donated to the community for things such as little league. I am thrilled that a plan has already started, and it has given so many people who live along the Elk River hope!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Clendenin Elementary damage equals 97 percent of value

They will probably have to build a new school here as well.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 PM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
^Thanks you beat me to it,

Here is the Gazette article.
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Kanawha superintendent: Hoover will get a new facility

Estimated cost would be roughly $45-50 million. The school will be "near" the current location, and the sports complex will be repaired and used. In the future, new sports fields could be built and the current facilities donated to the community for things such as little league. I am thrilled that a plan has already started, and it has given so many people who live along the Elk River hope!

I have heard conflicting proposals on the new school, it will be interesting to see which one wins out.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I have heard conflicting proposals on the new school, it will be interesting to see which one wins out.
do you care to elaborate on the conflicting info? I am Just curious

Old 07-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
do you care to elaborate on the conflicting info? I am Just curious

The biggest one is that there is no plan yet even that is the 'official' press on it. I was told that a new school was coming and that before any decisions on site or the facilities will await final approval of all the money that may be coming into the project. For my part, I believe that is true. There is no plan and will not be one until they know how much money they have to spend. They will say there is a plan to keep the nags away but except for building a new school, there is no plan.

I have also been told various property owners are pounding on the door to the KCB trying to put forth their property as the one to build on and most of these sites are just way too small, but that wont stop the property owners from making a pitch. This has the effect of tying up the process since they elected officials have to report to the public that they exhausted all options or they will be taken to court under some sort of corruption charge.

Of those that say none of that is true, a few sites are mentioned as the new location:

Landfilling the existing site after demolition to raise the elevation up to US-119

On the site of the Elkview Drive Inn next to the current EMS football field

At the junction of Little Sandy Creek and Elk River. There is a large field there that only has two residences but again this site would need some elevation increase.

In my opinion, the only site that makes sense is building a combined campus with Elkview Middle School and upgrading the existing football field there, especially in light of the fact that the existing Hoover facilities are going to be auctioned off.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:42 AM

I'm in favor of a site that is along Frame Rd. In between the interstate and the 4 way intersection with 119. The property is currently owned by Elkview Baptist and is intended for a future church building. The property has been eyed by Walmart on numerous occasions, but the original owners wouldn't budge. The property is suitable for a school, close to the road, and is away from the river or any main creek. The property does have some flat ground, but some earth moving might be needed to secure enough room.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4501...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4480...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 07-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I'm in favor of a site that is along Frame Rd. In between the interstate and the 4 way intersection with 119. The property is currently owned by Elkview Baptist and is intended for a future church building. The property has been eyed by Walmart on numerous occasions, but the original owners wouldn't budge. The property is suitable for a school, close to the road, and is away from the river or any main creek. The property does have some flat ground, but some earth moving might be needed to secure enough room.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4501...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4480...2!8i6656?hl=en

I think the new High School is going to be somewhere along or near-to Frame Road as well. I had been told of the possibility of the site along the road that you point too, but those that mentioned it to me said there was a lot of slippage on that site every time it rained hard. While the site is not bad once you are on the main section, the drive up might be an issue for high traffic and winter conditions. Worse, if the site has slips, the entire school might have stabilization problems in the future.

I am not sure it is the best site but I hear most favor the old Elkview Drive In location.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:38 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Clendenin Elementary closed, new school to be built

Old 05-19-2017, 04:36 AM

Graduating seniors flooded out of Herbert Hoover High School praised for 'perseverance'

I attended the graduation service last night. It was humbling to see all these students achieved through adversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston