Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Changes to Civic Center plan include $1.8M for Wi-Fi upgrades
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 02:32 PM

146 posts, read 166,218 times
wonder if anyone has tried to convince the Shriners to move to the old Sears auto Center site? Might be a compromise if they insist on being downtown.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 AM

Check this time lapse out.

Charleston Civic Center | City of Charleston

Old 03-08-2017, 04:46 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Charleston Civic Center opens new lobby; redo continues

They have done an incredible job thus far. I was going to take some of my own pictures, but the paper seemed to do a better job than I would have.

As you can see, work has progressed significantly along the river side of the Civic Center. When the whole project is finished, it will be a sight for sore eyes.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
It looks very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the other improvements to the building.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
I had my first encounter with the new entrance today. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

The lobby space is only about 1/3 the area on the other side. They only had three thicket booths open to start and finally a fourth one but the lines was so long, many people could not get a ticket and into the game in a timely fashion. Going upstairs to get into the CC is two sets of steep stairs (no escalator) but there are two small elevators.

Upstairs there were no delays getting in because most were downstairs trying to buy tickets. Funny thing is they had the equivalent of two doors open with a metal detector in front of each one. No place to put phones or keys so I walked through as directed and, of course, the alarm sounded. No problem, they waved me on to the ticket taker to scan my ticket and go on into the CC.

This was for a single A Girls' basketball game. I can't wait to see if they do this next week with the boys.

Absolutely, you must arrive an hour early to buy a ticket and get in to see the warm ups and presentation of colors. Our son arrived at 9:05 and we barely got to see the tipoff.

Come on, John Robertson. Fans deserve better than this!

Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I had my first encounter with the new entrance today. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

The lobby space is only about 1/3 the area on the other side. They only had three thicket booths open to start and finally a fourth one but the lines was so long, many people could not get a ticket and into the game in a timely fashion. Going upstairs to get into the CC is two sets of steep stairs (no escalator) but there are two small elevators.

Upstairs there were no delays getting in because most were downstairs trying to buy tickets. Funny thing is they had the equivalent of two doors open with a metal detector in front of each one. No place to put phones or keys so I walked through as directed and, of course, the alarm sounded. No problem, they waved me on to the ticket taker to scan my ticket and go on into the CC.

This was for a single A Girls' basketball game. I can't wait to see if they do this next week with the boys.

Absolutely, you must arrive an hour early to buy a ticket and get in to see the warm ups and presentation of colors. Our son arrived at 9:05 and we barely got to see the tipoff.

Come on, John Robertson. Fans deserve better than this!
Part of those problems will be fixed with time. When the old lobby receives its much needed renovation, that will add more entry points into the coliseum as well as ticket purchasing space. As of now they had to cram all that into the new entrance so that they can start work on the current lobby. More than likely the renovated lobby will maintain escalators.

As for staffing and security, there really isn't an excuse for that.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:07 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Part of those problems will be fixed with time. When the old lobby receives its much needed renovation, that will add more entry points into the coliseum as well as ticket purchasing space. As of now they had to cram all that into the new entrance so that they can start work on the current lobby. More than likely the renovated lobby will maintain escalators.

As for staffing and security, there really isn't an excuse for that.
Going to be very interesting to see how they handle things with a couple nearly sold-out events coming within the next couple of months (WWE, Toby Mac, Florida Georgia Line, Ringling Bros. to name a few). Like you said, things will be fixed over time but if they only have one entrance point right now...yikes.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
I was told the old lobby area will NOT have ticket booths. The new area will be the only place to buy tickets.

That old area is being turned into a reception area. However, if you have a ticket you can still get admitted into the arena.

Things improved a little on Friday and Saturday but this week will be a bigger test, much bigger test. I have little confidence, though.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:17 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
Here's a construction update from WOWK. Work has begun on the new 20,000 SF ballroom along the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhW0UZwmUkQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston