Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 11:48 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I saw those Monday. It took a lot of truck loads to make dirt piles that big. I wonder where they came from.
The only place that I can think of where they are moving that much dirt around is the new Hoover site. But I’m pretty sure they aren’t removing any of that dirt because they are filling in a valley there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 04:52 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
For those wondering why there has been no recent work on the Jefferson Road project.
https://www.wsaz.com/2020/08/04/wsaz...IdgYuuRHQywUW4

Old 01-24-2021, 04:07 PM

Looks like the project is still on schedule, and all of the 24-26 tenants that have signed letters of intent are still going to locate there. This is including a major retailer who will buy the land where their store will be built. Mayor Mullins said that the development is basically at capacity if things stay the same.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...a353f7f8d.html

This is positive news for the area, and I would not be surprised to see some of the stores that were at the mall start popping back up in this development (2-3 maybe?). Alumni Hall moved out of the mall and moved to a spot at Trace Fork, so why couldn't some of these other stores do the same where rent is probably cheaper and they would have a larger draw.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:39 PM

Let's hope so, but I'm still going to remain cautiously optimistic. Especially with Interstate Development being involved, when you consider their disappointing showing with Tanyard Station in Barboursville.

Old 01-25-2021, 04:03 AM

583 posts, read 593,600 times
My biggest concern is how much of the business going in there is just going to be lateral movement? How many old buildings will now sit empty and turn into more blight? Plus you got to figure the bulk will be hair salons, nail places, phone stores, car wash, dollar stores, gas station etc. If they end up with more than 3 or 4 truly new places to the area it will be shocking. The only thing working in their favor is that there might be an exodus out of the Town Center to this place which would be bringing in some of the interest they are talking about. And again Charleston will lose out on the retail b&o to SC from that just like they already do with a good part of Southridge.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
My biggest concern is how much of the business going in there is just going to be lateral movement? How many old buildings will now sit empty and turn into more blight? Plus you got to figure the bulk will be hair salons, nail places, phone stores, car wash, dollar stores, gas station etc. If they end up with more than 3 or 4 truly new places to the area it will be shocking. The only thing working in their favor is that there might be an exodus out of the Town Center to this place which would be bringing in some of the interest they are talking about. And again Charleston will lose out on the retail b&o to SC from that just like they already do with a good part of Southridge.
My guess is it will be a mixture of stores leaving the mall, a few new chains to the area (Menard's/Ross/Cheddars) and some movement by other retailers. I could see TJMaxx moving from across the street.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:43 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I was about to say John- at this point it might make sense for JC Penney and whatever few stores that are left standing at the Town Center to just move there. I follow the news close back in Charleston and I've lost count in the last month alone of how many stores are closing at the mall!

I was wondering if Kroger might open one of their Marketplace stores at least a larger one than at Riverwalk but didn't they just undergo renovation there?

Old 01-25-2021, 10:45 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Let's hope so, but I'm still going to remain cautiously optimistic. Especially with Interstate Development being involved, when you consider their disappointing showing with Tanyard Station in Barboursville.
You bring up a good point - they said twenty some tenants but judging by Tanyard, how many are going to be along the lines of Aspen Dental, nail / tanning salons and a gas station.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
You bring up a good point - they said twenty some tenants but judging by Tanyard, how many are going to be along the lines of Aspen Dental, nail / tanning salons and a gas station.
If only judging them by Tanyard, then that's probably what we'll see. I hope I'm wrong. I want to see something new come to the area. Obviously with more franchises closing down, that potential list keeps getting smaller. What about a Belk or Dilliards? At least it would be different.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but having a Menard's as one of the anchor tenants doesn't register much on the excitement meter.

I mentioned this earlier, I think it was regarding ideas to redevelop the Town Center, but what are you thoughts on this parcel of land being used for something like a Top Golf location instead of retail? Would it get more use, long term, as opposed to retail and that industry's downward trend of the last several years? It could be paired up with a few casual restaurant options, maybe an indoor/outdoor go-kart track, etc.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
If only judging them by Tanyard, then that's probably what we'll see. I hope I'm wrong. I want to see something new come to the area. Obviously with more franchises closing down, that potential list keeps getting smaller. What about a Belk or Dilliards? At least it would be different.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but having a Menard's as one of the anchor tenants doesn't register much on the excitement meter.

I mentioned this earlier, I think it was regarding ideas to redevelop the Town Center, but what are you thoughts on this parcel of land being used for something like a Top Golf location instead of retail? Would it get more use, long term, as opposed to retail and that industry's downward trend of the last several years? It could be paired up with a few casual restaurant options, maybe an indoor/outdoor go-kart track, etc.
Yes, I absolutely agree. I'm in the EP now and based on what I see just across the line in northern VA, relying solely on retail and food is an outdated model.

All of the new and redeveloped centers you see there are anchored with either Topgolf, indoor skydiving, go karts, trampoline parks, bowling/movie/brewery concepts, etc. I imagine those places are expensive to get started, but they are wildly popular and rarely do you see an empty storefront or building in sight around them.

Granted, it's one of the fastest growing and wealthiest regions in the U.S. I still think something similar, perhaps on a smaller scale, could be replicated in the Charleston area. The key is getting those companies interested in investing. If they're accustomed to NOVA demographics, it's going to take some incentivizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston