Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 05:24 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times

Advertisements

***Begin sarcasm***, Wow! A Menards! How exciting. ***end sarcasm***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 05:40 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Well, they officially announced a Menard's yesterday. While I'm glad to see one, I'd sure like to see some details. They continue moving a lot of dirt around there. A huge drain pipe was put in before the filled in the little pond, and the dug up the street entrance to the Ordinance Center and put a pipe in. I didn't notice if it was water or Gas that is coming in there, but they left quite a rough spot in the street.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:02 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
I occasionally go on the Interstate Reality site to see if there's any updates to the Park Place project. Today I stumbled across a new site plan for the shopping center. I know that these are only conceptualizations, but with the expected construction starting point nearing, more and more the renderings reflect the final product. Considering how 2 of the tenants have already been announced, and would certainly have their plots of land squared away with the developer.

https://www.ira-realty.com/commercia...ts/park-place/

A lot has changed from the last site plan. The new plan has removed the hotel and climate controlled storage facility. Also removed was a few outparcel buildings which appeared to be a convenience store, fast food, and coffee shop. It has reconfigured many of the structures in the front of the property, including moving the proposed Chic fil a to the far left-hand side (in front of Menards). It also shows another fast food restaurant, 2 sit down restaurants, and 5 buildings designated as "shops". I assume that those contain multiple smaller tenants, such as cell phone providers, hair salons, etc.

Now to the back half of the lot. Obviously Menard's is still shown on the renderings, occupying the land adjacent to the industrial park.

A major difference is the addition of a 123,000 sq ft grocery store (with pumps/drive tru pharmacy/curbside pickup area). I assume that this would be a Kroger, probably a Marketplace concept considering its size. That would be an amazing addition to South Charleston. I know that there's a Kroger across the street, and this isn't something new to the area, but it would certainly add a quality tenant to the development. No one expected this development to become the next Easton Town Center, so I would be happy to see a store that actually makes sense. I can't imagine that this would be another chain of grocery store. That would also leave the Kroger spot at Riverwalk Plaza vacant. That in theory could be redeveloped into new retail.

There's also 25k, 24k, and 63k smaller anchor slots. I can only speculate on what those would represent. The 63,000 sq ft anchor is intriguing. That's the same size as the Academy Sports that is going in Huntington. Maybe they are trying to lure them to the KV, but I have my doubts that Academy would be interested in opening a second store without having one in the region to base their assessment on. I could be wrong, considering I'm not in retail.

Beside all of that, there's 3 other retail spots ranging from 8500-12500 sq ft.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:25 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Looks like we should be able to shop at Menard's early in 2023.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/wh...th-charleston/

They have some of the land filled up to street level. They are actually making progress. Lots of drain pipes and surface drains have been installed. They are still moving dirt around all day long.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:05 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Looks like we should be able to shop at Menard's early in 2023.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/wh...th-charleston/

They have some of the land filled up to street level. They are actually making progress. Lots of drain pipes and surface drains have been installed. They are still moving dirt around all day long.
I wonder if Kroger at Riverwalk would build a bigger location at the new Park Place- similar to the one at Suncrest in Morgantown? I know they underwent a 'renovation' recently but it could be improved from my point-of-view. Maybe add a Costco too.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:56 PM

926 posts, read 828,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
***Begin sarcasm***, Wow! A Menards! How exciting. ***end sarcasm***
Menards is by far the greatest home improvement store I’ve ever been to. Any area that has one can consider themselves blessed.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:23 AM

Looks like the new Chick-fil-a will break ground at Park Place on August 26th. This is according to SC Mayor Mullins, who also said that the Menard's is almost ready to break ground as well as that site is almost "pad ready". Still no word on any of the other tenants, but at least the development is moving forward and not stalled!

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/pa...th-charleston/

***Edit

Here's another article that says that there might be an announcement for other businesses by early October.

https://www.wsaz.com/2021/07/21/chic...anawha-valley/

Last edited by Chriscross309; 08-19-2022 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-30-2022, 03:09 AM

https://wchstv.com/news/local/offici...shopping-plaza

Chick-fil-A has broken ground, and is slated to be open early next year. Mayor Mullins said something interesting, in that they were still “picking and choosing” what other tenants will locate there. He said that they were trying to get businesses that would be the first in the state. That says to me that there’s a lot of interest in the development, as there should be.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
https://wchstv.com/news/local/offici...shopping-plaza

Chick-fil-A has broken ground, and is slated to be open early next year. Mayor Mullins said something interesting, in that they were still “picking and choosing” what other tenants will locate there. He said that they were trying to get businesses that would be the first in the state. That says to me that there’s a lot of interest in the development, as there should be.
20-26 tenant announcements potentially coming soon, according to the mayor. That’s a lot!

Old 08-30-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
20-26 tenant announcements potentially coming soon, according to the mayor. That’s a lot!
Yes, that is a lot. But I can't imagine all of them being announced at once. Likely, a few more will be announced within the coming months.

I am going to call the mayors bluff on "new to the state" tenants. I just don't see what stores or restaurants that don't currently have a presence in WV would open here. Maybe some sort of restaurant or a small store, but not a big retailer.

Here's an up-to-date site plan. I know that this is mostly conceptual, but I can tell what some of these boxes are. The Grocery store is definitely a Kroger. It has the exact same layout as one of their new stores, like the ones in Teays Valley and Clarksburg. The 63k sq ft building is the same as the new Academy Sports that is opening at Tanyard Station.

https://www.ira-realty.com/commercia...ts/park-place/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston