Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:37 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times

Advertisements

Costco would be a huge success! They offer different items that Sams doesn’t have, plus like stated above the competition would be good for Sams and Walmart.

I might be wrong, but I believe Menards might be expanding just a little too quick. Just in WV there is rumors/proposals/plans for 6 stores (Fairmont, Bridgeport, Wheeling, Parkersburg, Barboursville, Charleston). I have seen them pop up all over the place in the Midwest. I hope they aren’t counting all their chickens before they hatch here in WV. Our area has 3 Lowe’s and 2 Home Depot stores. I’d like to see them come, I’m just hesitant on believing they’d have much success.

I’m interested in the restaurants that might plop down. Just about any brand would do well right there, as it truly is a prime location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,129 times
I think a Costco would work there given the location right off the interstate and the fact that Sam's is the only similar concept (albeit not as nice) in the area. I took a look at the store sizes displayed on the website and the two large retail spaces were 175k and 150k respectively- Costco stores are generally right in that range.

With the exception of Costco, I am a little less certain of any other retail concept that would be interested in or need a space that large. I think Caden correctly pointed out in an earlier post that this location, while convenient, is very close to Southridge and the Nitro Marketplace. I suppose Kroger could open one of their 'marketplace' concept stores there similar to the one at Suncrest Town Center in Morgantown but that would result in the location at Riverwalk closing down. Charleston is not a large enough market for Ikea and while it's great that Menards is expanding to West Virginia, it would seem there are already plenty of existing home improvement stores in the market. Is there something like a Bed Bath & Beyond in Charleston? I don't think there is but my time in Southridge over the Holidays was limited to my gf dragging me out for some quick last minute gifts (which mostly ended in her buying more sh*t we didn't need at Target). They could also break one of those locations down into two store spaces and open Old Navy and an REI? I know Charleston has Dick's Sporting Goods and Cabela's which are fine but I personally feel like REI has higher quality gear.

The restaurants should prove interesting- I think the location offers great potential, however the right restaurant concepts will need to open for long term success. Charleston already has way too many chains that offer a burger/fries/sandwiches/wings (ala Applebees, TGI Fridays, O'Charleys,s Buffalo Wild Wings, Quaker Steak & Lube). I am not saying we don't all enjoy most of those places but the area is well covered on that front. What about a higher end seafood restaurant? I still miss General Seafood and Red Lobster is...well, it's Red Lobster. How about a Bonefish Grill? On the Italian front, how about a Brio to give Olive Garden some competition? You could have some fast casual concepts also such as Chopt or Noodles & Company. There is definitely opportunity in the market.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 AM

If you haven’t noticed, Park Place now has several huge signs up promoting 500,000 square feet of space. They have cleaned off a lot of the lot. I’d imagine that 500k number is a bit inflated. Either way, the fact that the signs are up is a positive. I sincerely hope that this comes to fruition, and we can land some new to area businesses.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
If you haven’t noticed, Park Place now has several huge signs up promoting 500,000 square feet of space. They have cleaned off a lot of the lot. I’d imagine that 500k number is a bit inflated. Either way, the fact that the signs are up is a positive. I sincerely hope that this comes to fruition, and we can land some new to area businesses.
I think you're probably right. Maybe 500,000 sq. ft. includes the parking & landscape areas.

BTW, I'm thinking this thread needs a new title. I'm thinking about changing it from "Little Creek Village (Southridge Development)" to "Little Creek Village & Park Place South Charleston." What do you all think?

You can't tell anything at all about what is going on, but the web site is here: Parkplacesouthcharleston | Parkplacesouthcharleston

Old 07-29-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think you're probably right. Maybe 500,000 sq. ft. includes the parking & landscape areas.

BTW, I'm thinking this thread needs a new title. I'm thinking about changing it from "Little Creek Village (Southridge Development)" to "Little Creek Village & Park Place South Charleston." What do you all think?

You can't tell anything at all about what is going on, but the web site is here: Parkplacesouthcharleston | Parkplacesouthcharleston
I’d be in favor of that, or just simply Park Place. That might however get confusing considering the movie theater.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 AM

33 posts, read 28,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

That 175,000 SF building in the upper left corner resembles a Menard's layout. Look at the Tanyard Station site map and take note of the back lot behind their building. Tanyard Station | Barbourville's Next Big Retail Development

A friend of mine at an engineering firm is responsible for the designing of the 7 or so Menard's locations that are coming to WV in the very near future. Tanyard Station, Morgantown, Wheeling, Bridgeport, Martinsburg and I am unsure of the others.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,147,712 times
I agree that the the large building looks like a Menard's.

Otherwise, the site plan looks like a lot of restaurants with buildings usually reserved for such businesses as cell phone stores, mattress stores, tanning booths, a shoe store, etc. I hope that's not the case.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:13 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,508,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I agree that the the large building looks like a Menard's.

Otherwise, the site plan looks like a lot of restaurants with buildings usually reserved for such businesses as cell phone stores, mattress stores, tanning booths, a shoe store, etc. I hope that's not the case.
I've reached the point where I assume that will be the conclusion unless otherwise noted. Don't forget there has to be at least 2 the 20+ hair/nail salon chains in every development.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:35 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,225,959 times
I also agree that the large building looks like a Menards, same size and layout of the rumored one in Morgantown.

West Ridge Shopping Center Morgantown WV | In The Heart Of Retail

Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,147,712 times
They'll probably be a Starbucks there too, along with an Arby's and a dollar store. You know, all the businesses that draw people from far and wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston