Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 03:02 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
They'll probably be a Starbucks there too, along with an Arby's and a dollar store. You know, all the businesses that draw people from far and wide.
Probably right unfortunately.

Sad to see the Costco site plan go by the wayside. That would have certainly helped draw some folks in. Menards is almost a given based on their desire to enter the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:56 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
I would prefer a center with quality and diversity over quantity, even if it means a smaller development. A center anchored by Menard's and Costco, complimented by a couple of sit-down restaurants not currently available in the area, and maybe two or three smaller stores would be a welcomed sight. We don't need more stores selling mattresses, phones, tanning, coffee and cheap $1 junk.

This project also Seems like a good location for some entertainment options too, like a trampoline park, or a dining/arcade establishment, or a comedy club. Perhaps my thinking is too forward.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I would prefer a center with quality and diversity over quantity, even if it means a smaller development. A center anchored by Menard's and Costco, complimented by a couple of sit-down restaurants not currently available in the area, and maybe two or three smaller stores would be a welcomed sight. We don't need more stores selling mattresses, phones, tanning, coffee and cheap $1 junk.

This project also Seems like a good location for some entertainment options too, like a trampoline park, or a dining/arcade establishment, or a comedy club. Perhaps my thinking is too forward.
Not at all! We need more people with your line of thinking in WV.

My thinking is definitely too forward and frankly big for WV. I'm still advocating for Topgolf somewhere in WV. Morgantown is out since one just opened last weekend along I-79 in Bridgeville, PA.

This would have been perfect up on the hill in West Ridge.

https://topgolf.com/us/

Hagerstown, MD (just above the eastern panhandle) is opening a Tilt Studio inside of a recently-shuttered Macy's at the Valley Mall. It seems to be a growing company.

This may be the closest thing WV could get one day to Dave & Busters.

https://tiltstudio.com/

Old 07-31-2018, 06:13 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Tilt Studio. There is also Main Event Entertainment
https://www.mainevent.com/

Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 AM

583 posts, read 593,600 times
The Town Center situation has sort of gotten pushed to the back burner. The current mayor has a stance basically that the lease is good through his term and after that it’s not his problem. Not exactly the type of leadership that makes you feel confident about the mall’s future and the city as well. His main focus appears to be centered on Mr Canterbury and the Court. Odd.

The two candidates for mayor seem to be caught up and focused mainly on the needle issue.

There is the prospect of a new hotel replacing the Sears location but that developer doesn’t have a good track record with trying to build downtown hotels in Charleston and what they have built is not very impressive.

Then there’s the civic center renovation where one would hope and think that there would be big plans for this mall to tie into both the renovation and new hotel.

It’s just seems at least to me that there’s a terrible lack of focus in Charleston on just about every level. There are some good things happening but a lot of bad too and right now it seems to me that we’ve been tilting more on the bad side far too long.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:46 AM

The current Mayor has never displayed leadership that would make you feel confident about the future of the city.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 AM

583 posts, read 593,600 times
If you ever listen to his daily radio show it will reveal pretty quickly that growing and developing Charleston is not on his radar. Instead of bringing folks to talk about what they are doing to promote the city, develop the city and help the city he is focused on Steve Canterbury who he has cohost a lot with him, Trump, and other state and national issues. Charleston has very little to do within his focus other than someone calling in with a pothole or trash issue and him talking about how great he is.

It’s makes me sad for this city but it also explains to a degree why were are in a mess.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:31 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think you're probably right. Maybe 500,000 sq. ft. includes the parking & landscape areas.

BTW, I'm thinking this thread needs a new title. I'm thinking about changing it from "Little Creek Village (Southridge Development)" to "Little Creek Village & Park Place South Charleston." What do you all think?

You can't tell anything at all about what is going on, but the web site is here: Parkplacesouthcharleston | Parkplacesouthcharleston
I changed the thread title to reflect what we are discussing.

I drove by that area yesterday and still see no signs of any work being done.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I changed the thread title to reflect what we are discussing.

I drove by that area yesterday and still see no signs of any work being done.
Thank you!

Now if we could get this bad boy rolling! Driving by the site looks totally foreign because all the brush has been cut back. You can see the whole lot, and it creates a big empty space in the midst of development. Lays out perfectly for such a development.

I drove by Tanyard Station in Huntington last week and witnessed their progress. They are already starting to put walls up on buildings. I hope Park Place happens sometime in our lifetime!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,526 times
I think I read yesterday that the state provided loan assurance for a small bank that is loaning money to someone to buy a Jersey Mikes Franchise and locate it in this development.

Edit: Found it, it is actually going to be in Dudley Farm's Plaza in Charleston.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...b843053be.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston