Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

CNN has footage of vehicles careening on the ice! Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 04:27 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Yea, i saw that on the news last night. CNN didn't capture the worst wreck of all. It happened around 7:55am Saturday morning, i was about 4 cars back, a three car pileup! A car on the inside lane slid into a car in the middle lane, and another car in the middle lane must have hit it's breaks and slid into the 2nd car, causing a messy looking wreck. Luckily i was anticipating the ice on the bridge and was only going about 40 mph, so i was able to stop well in time and everyone seemed to be ok.

I was driving to play basketball downtown at a local church, and i nearly got involved in the wreck. When are people going to learn to slow down when eastbound @ the Fort Hill Bridge?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
To be fair to the road crews, it looks as if everyone was simply traveling too quickly for conditions. I see it here in PA all the time. People continue to drive at 50 miles per hour on the freeways, even when there is a noticeable coating of ice or slush on them. When the time comes to tap the brakes, it's like bumper cars! SLOW DOWN!!! SHEESH!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
That first wreck in the video was the one i was behind, didn't show the third vehicle that ended up rear-ending the middle car.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:10 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
To be fair to the road crews, it looks as if everyone was simply traveling too quickly for conditions. I see it here in PA all the time. People continue to drive at 50 miles per hour on the freeways, even when there is a noticeable coating of ice or slush on them. When the time comes to tap the brakes, it's like bumper cars! SLOW DOWN!!! SHEESH!
I'm reminded of my behemoth 76 chevy impala trying to stop at a stop sign at the base of a steep hill in oswego ny after 8" snow/ pack ice in january. no way it was stopping, but i learned that if i repeatedly hit my horn to scare off oncoming traffic, cut the wheel to the left about 40 ft from the sign and let the sideway axles slow me down i could actually gracefully deliver the car into the lane I meant to be in like michelle kwan in a moose suit.

Another time I remember being on the back of a motorcycle going across the rochester lift bridges in winter and feeling the back end come out from under metal grading, I think because we were too cautious and going too slow. Made more sense to get off and walk the bridge. Nowadays it makes more sense to NEVER be on a freakin motorcycle in the winter. sheesh how did I live past my 20's???

No, I do NOT recommend either driving technique, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. bridges are generally deceptive changes in traction, and i think people with 4wd SUV having more power don't get that their power to stop is not equal to their ability to move. Or maybe they just don't care until they find out the hard way? Don't think I'll ever understand those folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston