Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 AM

26 posts, read 27,376 times

Advertisements

I grew up on the east end in the 70's and spent a lot of time on east Washington st. I can't completely trust my memory it's because I was so young then. Just wondered what people remember of the area.

For a couple years, my entire world ran from Heck's in Plaza East up to what was then Rite Aid on the corner across from New China. Going to Rite Aid (or was it Revco?) was a huge treat back then. Sometimes my grandmother & I would go to New China and they'd make me a plain hamburger!! We'd get a cup of ice cream with a wooden spoon at Valley Bell & I'd buy a comic book at the book store. The book store moved a few times but the first one was a small store that eventually became a karate school. It's since closed. There was grocery store on the corner. It was lime green I think. We washed clothes at the laundromat nearby. It caught on fire in the late 70's. I always thought it was Corey's but someone told me it was Strait's. Used to go there every Saturday. There was a small store across the street where New China was & the prices were crazy. Just to get a hostess cupcake was expensive. When I wasn't on Washington st, I was at Sheff's and later Butler's on Jackson St. There was a similar store on Lewis st that was only open when I was really young. Then we'd everything off with a trip to Heck's!!

If anybody remembers any of the places I've mentioned, feel free to comment. If I've described something incorrectly, also comment. These are the memories of a 6 year old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:49 AM

16,583 posts, read 15,502,808 times
I believe the laundromat was Strait's. It was at the corner of Ruffner & Washington where the East End Bazaar is now. New China is up at Elizabeth Street. There was an Exxon station across Ruffner from the laundromat where Gino's is now. Beyond that were some brick apartment buildings called Pauley Court (I think). That's where Tudor's is now. If I remember correctly, the store across Washington from the laundromat was built to be one of the neighborhood Valley Bell stores. Valley Bell had stores all over the area.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 PM

778 posts, read 783,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewvguy View Post
I grew up on the east end in the 70's and spent a lot of time on east Washington st. I can't completely trust my memory it's because I was so young then. Just wondered what people remember of the area.

For a couple years, my entire world ran from Heck's in Plaza East up to what was then Rite Aid on the corner across from New China. Going to Rite Aid (or was it Revco?) was a huge treat back then. Sometimes my grandmother & I would go to New China and they'd make me a plain hamburger!! We'd get a cup of ice cream with a wooden spoon at Valley Bell & I'd buy a comic book at the book store. The book store moved a few times but the first one was a small store that eventually became a karate school. It's since closed. There was grocery store on the corner. It was lime green I think. We washed clothes at the laundromat nearby. It caught on fire in the late 70's. I always thought it was Corey's but someone told me it was Strait's. Used to go there every Saturday. There was a small store across the street where New China was & the prices were crazy. Just to get a hostess cupcake was expensive. When I wasn't on Washington st, I was at Sheff's and later Butler's on Jackson St. There was a similar store on Lewis st that was only open when I was really young. Then we'd everything off with a trip to Heck's!!

If anybody remembers any of the places I've mentioned, feel free to comment. If I've described something incorrectly, also comment. These are the memories of a 6 year old!

I think the drugstore was Cohen.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 AM

71 posts, read 175,362 times
Sheets Market (which later became a sex shop) was on the Maxwell/Washington St eastern corner, which was basically the end of businesses till you got near Ruffner. There was a cafe type restaurant across Washington St that served bisquits and gravy for the early morning crowd. The beer joint/restaurant on the other side changed owners several times, I think it was Murads(?), then Cobb's Corner, before it became Big Petes. Can't remember if the drug store was once a Cohen's or not. I can remember a 'hats blocked' sign in the laundry, (not the laundromat) but that may have been in the 50's. lol
There was a restaurant on Elizabeth (now the empty glass) that served up hotdogs by the dozens for the statehouse lunch crowd. I can remember the gal lining up dogs up her arm and never losing one. Funny how little things stick with you.
Once went with a Red Carpet Lounge group to a Reds game... once was enough! (whew)
I knew several folk who grew up in the area, and remember a few of the older residents. Can't mention names here, but I'm sure you'd remember some.
Afflicted with CRS, so I might be wrong about locations.

Last edited by MINITRUCK83; 08-03-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston