Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 PM

583 posts, read 593,911 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure how well this would work. I've been to several Chaos games with probably 20 or less folks in the stands. Dying town in a dying state isn't exactly material for these things. However, the ball park downtown does do ok for baseball. I'd say if they could put a field downtown and serve beer maybe it would have half a chance. It actually might be nice to have this somewhere on the east end close to downtown. It's got to be somewhere that it will catch on. Putting out at Coonskin which is a really nice place it too far for most folks that don't care about soccer but might actually care about it if they saw it being played while drinking a beer.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...f7247ba5d.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 09:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
I'd love to see USL D3 set up shop in Charleston, even though it might be a tough sell. Here's the expansion criteria from their website:

Quote:
Employing the successful methodology utilized by the USL to establish the largest professional soccer league in North America, the USL Division III expansion efforts center on markets with

Strong local ownership
  • Primary owner with a net worth in excess of $10 million and 35% or greater share of the potential franchise
Soccer-specific stadia
  • Seating Capacity: 3,500
  • Pitch Size: 110 yards x 70 yards​​​
Viable market size and support
  • Markets with a population between 150,000 to one million and a strong corporate and fan base for support
But, entertaining the notion for a second, you could make the case for several viable locations. My choices would either be out at the new Shawnee rec complex or somewhere near the APP. There's vacant land between Smith St. and the Plaza East shopping center, or somewhere near Leon Sullivan Way and Brooks. If money wasn't too much of an object, I would put the field between the Plaza East parking lot and Smith St., integrating the back part of the Charmco building into the stadium design and put the team offices and corner/end suites there.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:48 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
This would be exciting, however I do not believe that we would have a strong fan-base support. We do well to support the power. I am not an avid soccer fan, but I was at least be interested in going to the games. I cannot say that for the rest of the region though. Soccer is still catching on around here.

Also, they likely wouldn't build a new stadium initially. Laidley Field or Coonskin would be the likely host. Maybe the Shawnee project might consider having one of the fields featuring 3,000 plus seating capacity. Also, UC is building a new sports complex, that might meet that need.

If a new stadium was considered, I agree that the East End would be a good place. If an investment is to be made, they might as well consider a mixed use approach. The lack of space for such a project is a noticeable problem. Near the ballpark would be fine, however a soccer field takes up a lot of room. It is not likely that there would be enough room next to Plaza East for the facility plus parking, unless it went underneath. I think that the whole Plaza East area has the potential for a massive urban renewal and development project. I would love to see the current Plaza East demolished (and/or gutted) and a new concept in its place with mixed use characteristics. A grocery store could anchor the project, with offices and/or apartments taking up shop above the store. A soccer stadium could be incorporated into the design, with parking underneath, and the Charmco building being utilized as well for condos/offices/workforce WV etc... There is roughly 490,000 sq ft of space there.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 AM

Just a crazy idea

What if the built a soccer stadium on the site of Sears. They could keep the ground level for a store or something. The second level would feature the pitch, and could even stretch across Quarrier St. to the Sears Auto lot for more space. similar to the parking garage over Lee street. Then you could have the second floor of the CTC (where the old Sears entrance was) feature a sports bar over looking the pitch. The stands could be incorporated into the open space beside the malls garage.

This would allow the "stadium" to be used for more than just soccer. The Civic Center could utilize it, or the mall could host events there. Heck, you could even have graduations or a concert there. Truly a multi-use venue. You could even put a cover over it to offer shade.

I know I am crazy!!!!

Old 04-11-2018, 05:49 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
I don't think the Sears idea is crazy, in fact, I like it. It could help the Town Center with potential customers and offer plenty of parking for the events.

I'm afraid the idea is a little to progressive for the mindset of most West Virginians.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:01 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
I too have concerns that the area has enough of a fan base to support a soccer team. As JohnNada posted, the Chaos wasn't known for drawing huge crowds.

IF this team would come to be, I like the idea of the team playing at the Shawnee Park Multi-Sport Complex. By playing in Dunbar, I like to think that the odds of drawing fans from the Teays Valley area would be a little better.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Just a crazy idea

What if the built a soccer stadium on the site of Sears. They could keep the ground level for a store or something. The second level would feature the pitch, and could even stretch across Quarrier St. to the Sears Auto lot for more space. similar to the parking garage over Lee street. Then you could have the second floor of the CTC (where the old Sears entrance was) feature a sports bar over looking the pitch. The stands could be incorporated into the open space beside the malls garage.

This would allow the "stadium" to be used for more than just soccer. The Civic Center could utilize it, or the mall could host events there. Heck, you could even have graduations or a concert there. Truly a multi-use venue. You could even put a cover over it to offer shade.

I know I am crazy!!!!
I think this is a terrific idea. If I had the money, resources and authority I would look into making something like this happen.

This, in addition to the renovations at the Civic Center (which are coming together beautifully btw), would make that area far more attractive business and foot traffic.

All it takes is an ounce of progressive thinking and the right location. The problem is, like aeros71 said, a lack of progressive ideas like this one.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:29 AM

I've been stewing on this idea all morning now. The benefits would be tremendous for the mall, Civic Center, and downtown in general. Also consider the possibility of a hotel across Clendenin Street. The architecture could compliment the Civic Center renovations, possibly tying it in better with the Town Center. The remainder of the Sears Auto lot could be developed as well. The pitch would need to be "flexible" in order that other types of events could utilize that space. The ground level could still feature a store, or possibly the maintenance and locker room facilities for the stadium. The grand stands would be the most difficult part to engineer into the design, because the pitch will take up the majority of the width of that site. Also netting and lighting will have to be incorporated into the design in order to prevent rouge soccer balls from leaving the playing surface. I like the idea of having a large party deck elevated above the surface, with a bar.

I will play around more with this and sketch it out.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM

583 posts, read 593,911 times
What they should do is use some of the space for an indoor soccer field. The one proposed at Trace Fork which should have been built 3 years ago is likely not going to happen. At the same time they should also install a natatorium/indoor Olympic pool for swim meets. The possibilities are endless. How about two soccer fields on the roof for youth soccer? Indoor climbing and mountain biking? Sounds crazy but has happened in other places.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM

778 posts, read 795,814 times
I do not think the mall location is large enough and question the wisdom of placing a sports venue next to the mall or even in the business district. When not in use that is going to be a magnet for all sorts of activities that an owner does not want to deal with. By comparison, Power Park has a virtual Berlin Wall around it and is in a far less travelled location but still has issues.

The size needed precludes anything in the CDB or near the mall. They need 110 yards minimum and at 330 feet, the Sears site has at best angles only 150 feet. Then you have to take into account wind patterns, which is a major influence on the design of any stadium as it affects ball handling severely. Being next to the mall would produce all sorts of eddies.

On the odd chance that the proposal was on the old Sears site, well it is large enough but it would require the entire block and even then it would be a squeeze. It would require Capital Area Serves (CASCI), City net, and the 5-Star car wash to relocate - good luck.

If perhaps it was meant the old Sears Auto Center site, no luck. Too small. Same goes for the dilapidated block where Goldfarb Electric used to exist. It is wide enough but still too short.

I am not a soccer fan in the least. But, if I were in the role of the choice maker and taking into account the negatives that Charleston, Kanawha County and the state of West Virginia have going for it as it relates to declining population and declining market size married with the absolutely mind-boggling concept that land in the city is valued at $1 million per square inch; I would go to University of Charleston and work out a joint sharing plan with Laidley Field. It is something that could work for the least cost and the bulk of the infrastructure is already in place. The people in the valley that go to such things are already accustomed to that facility and should see this as a logical progression. It started out life as the future site of the Track and Field Hall of Fame in the 1970's - which I still cannot believe anyone was serious about.

I west to the www.USLD3.com website and looked through their stuff and the plan for a new stadium to meet their requirement is listed at the bottom. It is detailed here:

https://www.usld3.com/news_article/show/809099
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston