Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 AM

778 posts, read 795,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Any word on the hotel?

I’d say the plan is dead now. That might not be a bad thing considering how disappointing a brand and the fact that they were talking the old sears to build it.
Another fly in the soup:

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../15/532192.htm

BrickStreet has been sold to Motorist Insurance Group, a Columbus Ohio based company and the merger is now called Encova. While this press release says that BrickStreet's current status in Charleston is unaffected, it also says that Columbus Ohio is the headquarters for the new company.

We have seen this before, both United Bank and MRC Global have followed this same path. Both merged with other companies, re-branding took place and an assurance of no change to those operations in Charleston, but the proof was that both companies drew down operations in Charleston leaving behind only those jobs that can be paid at low wages in West Virginia versus those in Washington D.C. and Houston Texas respectively. This will be no different and I fully expect BrickStreet to leave their location in Town Center because they do not own the building and the lease was signed to a company that no longer exists.

I am actually fine with this, I hated BrickStreet taking up valuable anchor space, but I dislike losing them from the capitol's landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM

6,072 posts, read 9,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Another fly in the soup:

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../15/532192.htm

BrickStreet has been sold to Motorist Insurance Group, a Columbus Ohio based company and the merger is now called Encova. While this press release says that BrickStreet's current status in Charleston is unaffected, it also says that Columbus Ohio is the headquarters for the new company.

We have seen this before, both United Bank and MRC Global have followed this same path. Both merged with other companies, re-branding took place and an assurance of no change to those operations in Charleston, but the proof was that both companies drew down operations in Charleston leaving behind only those jobs that can be paid at low wages in West Virginia versus those in Washington D.C. and Houston Texas respectively. This will be no different and I fully expect BrickStreet to leave their location in Town Center because they do not own the building and the lease was signed to a company that no longer exists.

I am actually fine with this, I hated BrickStreet taking up valuable anchor space, but I dislike losing them from the capitol's landscape.
It is very sad to see BrickStreet lose the influence they have. Having their HQ here in Charleston has been beneficial, but maybe this will encourage them to move to one of the office towers. That would free up the CTC for a complete overhaul. At that point someone could do just about whatever they want with the whole block.

I still don’t understand why they wouldn’t want the Sears Auto lot for a hotel. That would make more sense than attaching yourself to a dying mall.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:56 AM

146 posts, read 166,380 times
maybe it's better if this hotel deal fell through. Gotta love this little KM company for trying but I think an 18 story convention center Hilton hotel might be a little more than they can handle. They don't have anything even remotely as large in their current or future portfolio. I will say I was in Charleston 2 nights on business this month and stayed at the Marriott. The front desk clerks were frantic both checking in and checking out as the hotel was oversold all 3 nights and they had no breathing room for late check outs etc.......So maybe there is a need for another upscale convention center hotel but maybe this is not the right time. I am still hoping for a redevelopment of the mall with retail and the Beni Kedem space used for the hotel. If the city was able to lure a Dillards, Von Maur or Boscovs they would attract some other retailers with them. There is literally no nice shopping in Charleston outside of the Town Center.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:46 PM

778 posts, read 795,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
maybe it's better if this hotel deal fell through. Gotta love this little KM company for trying but I think an 18 story convention center Hilton hotel might be a little more than they can handle. They don't have anything even remotely as large in their current or future portfolio. I will say I was in Charleston 2 nights on business this month and stayed at the Marriott. The front desk clerks were frantic both checking in and checking out as the hotel was oversold all 3 nights and they had no breathing room for late check outs etc.......So maybe there is a need for another upscale convention center hotel but maybe this is not the right time. I am still hoping for a redevelopment of the mall with retail and the Beni Kedem space used for the hotel. If the city was able to lure a Dillards, Von Maur or Boscovs they would attract some other retailers with them. There is literally no nice shopping in Charleston outside of the Town Center.
Man, you sing form song book!

Marriott is feast or famine booking. When they are busy, they blow the doors off but when they aren't crickets sound like howling wolves. I cried my tears in earlier in this Town Center Saga, so I think it best I avoid wading into the pool of despair again. I just think the concept of a traditional mall there is no longer viable. It was the merit for my pushing a shopping corridor from the Civic Center to Hale Street, branching out on to the cross streets of Summers and Capitol along the path.

Anchors such as those you mentioned could still be there, but the nature of a single roof would be removed and would convert the district to an open mall-lifestyle center with mixed use all along the main corridor.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:38 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
I'd love to find an STR report for the Town Center Marriott- I've stayed there when it was absolutely packed and then other times when I felt like we were staying at the Overlook Hotel in the Shining. All alone. Curious as to what their average daily rate is and occupancy stats.

I too would not be surprised if that hotel deal fell through. Why would you want to be connected / next to the Town Center Mall in its current state? My god they've let that place go to hell! We went in for July 4th, had our usual obligatory meal at Tidewater and decided to take a walk through the mall. There was nobody there! Vacancies everywhere. It really saddened me because it was truly a thriving place when I was growing up in the 90s. People used to come from all over the state to visit. Most of my remaining family in Charleston either come up here to the DC area or visit my siblings in Columbus for shopping now- they rarely ever shop at home.

I am hoping that another anchor such as Boscovs or Von Maur might try to locate there given that they now only have only one anchor to compete with. Something needs to be done soon though- it wouldn't take much for some developer to try and lure JC Penney out to Southridge. I really think they should try to isolate the remaining stores towards that end of the mall, bulldoze the rest of it and try again with some mixed use. That or just move everyone into spaces along Capitol Street and move JC Penney to the old Stone & Thomas which is STILL empty. I was waiting for the State to move some random agency in there but I guess even they have run-out of a need for more useless space.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:23 AM

basically the mall is going to live or die on retail. If Charleston isn't able to attract a decent department store......(the capital city....... the state's largest city....etc) maybe it doesn't deserve to live. Hell Beckley Bluefield and Parkersburg have a Belk. Wheeling recently got a Boscovs. I know Department stores are a dying breed but they are still a mantle which cities hold their pride on. OK so there are no Saks, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Dillards, or Von Maur, etc in the state but you're telling me the state's largest city and capital can only support a JC Penny? Balderdash. It's embarrassing for the city trying to sell conventions. Pleas come to Charleston and go to Walmart!!!!! It's Great. No......It's humiliating. And if you think everyone at city hall and at the mall aren't desperately trying to find a decent replacement then you're not paying attention.

No city can sell itself as a tourist, convention destination without any decent shopping other than Walmart. I am embarrassed at the offerings in the Kanawha Valley right now.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 AM

As for hotels.......you can guarantee these big wigs at these corporate events are making sure they are housed in the best accommodations. If all Charleston can say is "We have a Marriott but it's full", they will be in the Lexington Hyatt Regency or the Columbus Hilton in the blink of an eye. Charleston has to have competitive accommodations with cities even bigger than her to compete. Not having a Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, W, or Westin in the entire state doesn't help matters.

Maybe the Big 12 will help that!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 AM

6,072 posts, read 9,098,885 times
Quote:
As for hotels.......you can guarantee these big wigs at these corporate events are making sure they are housed in the best accommodations. If all Charleston can say is "We have a Marriott but it's full", they will be in the Lexington Hyatt Regency or the Columbus Hilton in the blink of an eye. Charleston has to have competitive accommodations with cities even bigger than her to compete. Not having a Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, W, or Westin in the entire state doesn't help matters.

I agree completely. Name brands draw people and events. Embassy Suites and Four Points are nice, but they aren’t Hyatt or Hilton. I’m glad that this hotel plan appears to be falling through. A Homewood Suites attached to a struggling mall is not a good idea. I’d love to see this company build a free standing hotel somewhere else in the area. What we need downtown is an upscale brand to attract conventions and tourism. I don’t understand why the Sears Auto lot isn’t considered for a hotel.

The CTC needs to find a buyer who has a vision for the future. We can’t continue to maintain the idea that a traditional indoor shopping mall is what downtown needs. I still think retail, entertainment, and dining should be a component. But healthcare, education, recreation, and tech need to be part of its future.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Quote:

The Big 12 assures large crowds of people in Mon County for several football and basketball games, but top line hotels aren't built around just athletic events. There needs to be a critical mass of business, academic, or government institutions present to assure regular occupancy. In general, that can only be found in large cities. We can fill up hotels maybe a dozen weekends per year, other than that, we rely on Interstate traffic and a more limited array of local institutions for room rentals. I don't see that changing any time soon.

There is no place in West Virginia that will compete with Pittsburgh, DC, or even Columbus as a destination city. Charleston invested heavily in the Civic Center rehab project, but I suspect that was done to protect the current clientele base rather than draw in others. Drawing the really major organizations for conventions requires major selections of restaurants and clubs and so forth, as well as a large population base. The larger cities have those. We don't have them in West Virginia.

In the long run, cities located near large population centers have some potential to draw larger crowds, but most don't seem to be much interested in doing that. My own opinion is that Charleston would have been better served to have torn down their civic center, starting from scratch to build a new one. As is, it is essentially tied to the same declining mass referred to in other posts here. Putting a Hyatt or a Hilton in place of a defunct box store makes about the same amount of sense as keeping the civic center as part of a complex in decline.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I agree completely. Name brands draw people and events. Embassy Suites and Four Points are nice, but they aren’t Hyatt or Hilton. I’m glad that this hotel plan appears to be falling through. A Homewood Suites attached to a struggling mall is not a good idea. I’d love to see this company build a free standing hotel somewhere else in the area. What we need downtown is an upscale brand to attract conventions and tourism. I don’t understand why the Sears Auto lot isn’t considered for a hotel.

The CTC needs to find a buyer who has a vision for the future. We can’t continue to maintain the idea that a traditional indoor shopping mall is what downtown needs. I still think retail, entertainment, and dining should be a component. But healthcare, education, recreation, and tech need to be part of its future.
I thought a bank purchased that lot for a branch? No? I think a better site would be the Beni Kedem temple parcel. That would be literally on the front door of the convention center, still basically next door to the mall, and perched on the river allowing beautiful views of the Kanawha. They just have to get the Shriners to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston