Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 10:37 PM

34,803 posts, read 30,852,651 times

Advertisements

I ended up in Charleston just to check out another state capital off a hiking trip. I read around, and the crime stats are through the roof. I have been downtown all night and haven’t seen anything untoward. Downtown is clean, no vagrants, no one sleeping outside, etc.

Had a pizza and wings at Pie and Pints and walked up to the mall, down the riverfront, and down to the Capitol building. The whole city seems harmless. Downtown is nice and across the river looks good but what else I saw didn’t look too appealing.

What is the deal with this crime level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 06:56 AM

5,987 posts, read 8,967,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I ended up in Charleston just to check out another state capital off a hiking trip. I read around, and the crime stats are through the roof. I have been downtown all night and haven’t seen anything untoward. Downtown is clean, no vagrants, no one sleeping outside, etc.

Had a pizza and wings at Pie and Pints and walked up to the mall, down the riverfront, and down to the Capitol building. The whole city seems harmless. Downtown is nice and across the river looks good but what else I saw didn’t look too appealing.

What is the deal with this crime level?
A lot of drug related crime. Drugs being sent from Detroit and Cleveland, and end up here via dealer networks. They then distribute them region wide. Most of the city is unscathed by their presence, but the worst effected areas are the West Side and parts of the East End. The city has done a “fairly good” job at keeping downtown safe and pristine. Homelessness problems seem to die down through the winter, as a lot of transients relocate during that time. Most of it is tied back to the drug culture here. For a city Charleston’s size, there is actually a pretty good homeless support system here between shelters, and ministries that work with them. However, a lot of people take advantage and flock here from other places in WV and end up causing a lot of problems around the city.

I hope you enjoyed your limited time here. Charleston is actually a nice lil city. There is a charm here that is unique to us alone. Pies and Pints is a local favorite. They have expanded tremendously over the years throughout the Eastern US, but their original two locations are in Fayetteville and here in Charleston. You mentioned walking by the mall. That used to be a highlight of the city, with high end stores and a truly regional market to draw from. Now it has been hit hard by Macy’s and Sears closing and other stores following them out the door. Hopefully it can return to some sort of glory when someone decides to invest and do something with it.

Thanks for posting

Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 AM

16,583 posts, read 15,502,808 times
Across the river from the Capitol to downtown does not show much of the south side of the city. You mostly see trees along the South Side Expressway (MacCorkle Avenue). Further east is Kanawha City, and further west is South Charleston.

Adding to what Chris said, most of the crime being reported is in specific areas of the West Side. It's really scary to think that so many people seem to think it's OK to settle their differences by shooting guns in residential areas. One of the shootings took place only a block from the elementary school.

There is a bad element in Charleston that did not originate there. Police have managed to move them around, but have yet to catch enough of them to make it stop.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 AM

34,803 posts, read 30,852,651 times
I'd like to come back for a short visit during better weather.

The thing that really shocked me were the really rundown areas on the way in - Marmet, and whatever is slightly past that on the river on the right as you head toward Charleston. Those communities look severely depressed.

With that said, the violent crime rate is just way below where I used to live in Indianapolis. I walked to the Capitol building up to Shoney's along the riverfront Sunday morning, and drove through the West Side on my way back. Seemed very tame compared to Indianapolis.

I really liked the downtown. Taylor's book shop and the other establishments, along with the density, exceeded expectations

Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 AM

604 posts, read 551,966 times
Op is talking about crime stats. Unreported/unprosecuted crimes would not be reflected in crime statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston