Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 01:15 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
https://wvmetronews.com/2021/07/06/e...eston-for-tbt/

We are getting closer to the TBT event here in West by God Virginia!!! I am super excited, and I believe this will be a great opportunity for the city. Still think that the mall is a shame, and will leave a bad taste in people's mouth.
Hopefully this will be a great opportunity for Charleston but as someone who visited family over the 4th of July- that mall in its current state should not be showcased to anyone. Literally chain the doors and only leave the restaurants open. We always make a visit to Tidewater but I took a look around the mall in general and it was even worse than I could've imagined! Not only were the vast majority of stores vacant or temporary spots selling junk, I noticed multiple junkies/ derelicts loitering around the parking lot and near the JC Penney entrance. I can tell an addict when I see one- especially when they're pacing around like zombies. The city might as well just convince the few remaining decent stores/ eateries to locate on Capital Street or Southridge and then pay JCPenney (who owns that building) some sort of atonement fee to vacate and move to the old Stone & Thomas building on Lee Street. This way they can implode that sucker and put it out of its misery. It was truly sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 05:32 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
The first Session is on July 17, with the first game at Noon with Herd That (Marshall Alums) and the second game is at 2:00 with Best Virginia (WVU Alums). Could be a chance to see some familiar players.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-09-2021 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-08-2021, 08:07 PM

41 posts, read 33,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
It would be nice to see the city try to get a regional in the NCAA or the WNCAA tourney. A lot of small cities host the first rounds.
True, but they usually choose small cities with major universities.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:16 PM

41 posts, read 33,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
No, the TBT is the $2M cash tournament they play each summer. 64 teams from around the country. It'll be fun, and worth attending if you enjoy basketball.
How are these teams chosen and organized?

Old 07-09-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Gap View Post
How are these teams chosen and organized?
This wiki page says it is an open application tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basketball_Tournament

It says the teams are arranged by the "general managers." Some of the teams are made of of some players who attended the same schools, so they have names related to that. We have "Best Virginia" representing WVU alumni players, "Herd That" consisting of some Marshall players and coached by an Elmore. Nearby is "Carmen's Crew" from Ohio State and "Wolf Blood" from NC State.

I assume that a "general manager" tries to assemble a team and apply for a tournament slot. If he's successful, they start practicing. I remember hearing last year that they have to have a certain number of alumni players (I think it was 5) to be able to call themselves an affiliate team with a school.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:38 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
The TBT is back, and the bracket is set! This should be an even bigger year for the TBT and for Charleston. Best Virginia is not only the host, but the 1 seed. They will take on Virginia Dream (UVA alumni). Herd That is the 4 seed, and if both Mountain State teams win, they'll face each other in the 2nd round. Should be fun!!!

https://www.wowktv.com/goldandbluena...nent-revealed/

Old 07-22-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The TBT is back, and the bracket is set! This should be an even bigger year for the TBT and for Charleston. Best Virginia is not only the host, but the 1 seed. They will take on Virginia Dream (UVA alumni). Herd That is the 4 seed, and if both Mountain State teams win, they'll face each other in the 2nd round. Should be fun!!!

https://www.wowktv.com/goldandbluena...nent-revealed/
The games start Sunday, July 24.

Each session is two games and tickets are sold per session. The nice thing for West Virginia basketball fans is that the second session has Herd That playing in game 1 and Best Virginia in game 2. You get to watch both on one ticket.

Herd That is playing against the Founding Fathers, who are alumni from James Madison University. JMU and MU just joined the Sun Belt Conference, so the schools will be playing in conference games. Expect trash talk.

Best Virginia is playing Virginia Dream, an unaffiliated team new to the TBT this year.

The winners of these two games meet Tuesday, July 26 at 8:00 PM.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:38 AM

Should be another great event for the city. It's things like this, Regatta, concerts, conventions, etc... that need to be constants in the area to drive demand and boost the economy.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:04 AM

My brother and I went to the games. There was a good crowd in attendance, and we saw a couple of good games. Herd That beat the Founding Fathers 77-71 and Best Virginia beat Virginia Dream 75-45. That was the only game of the day that was one by a free throw.

We had some JMU fans sitting across the aisle from us cheering for their alumni and yelling at the referees. The WVU Alumni band was there, and the Mountaineer mascot was leading some cheers. However, she did not fire her musket when the game was over. The Marshall basketball team came to see the game. The WVU team had other things going on this year and could not attend.

Herd That and Best Virginia play each other Tuesday evening, July 26, at 8:00PM. Should be fun to watch.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
My brother and I went to the games. There was a good crowd in attendance, and we saw a couple of good games. Herd That beat the Founding Fathers 77-71 and Best Virginia beat Virginia Dream 75-45. That was the only game of the day that was one by a free throw.

We had some JMU fans sitting across the aisle from us cheering for their alumni and yelling at the referees. The WVU Alumni band was there, and the Mountaineer mascot was leading some cheers. However, she did not fire her musket when the game was over. The Marshall basketball team came to see the game. The WVU team had other things going on this year and could not attend.

Herd That and Best Virginia play each other Tuesday evening, July 26, at 8:00PM. Should be fun to watch.
I was able to go to a TBT game last year. It was a great atmosphere, and the WVU fans added to that. The city is really benefiting from hosting this.

I am glad that the two WV teams get to play each other. I wonder if it could draw a similar crowd that the Marshall/WVU games had back when that was held annually.

On a side note, I hope Best Virginia mops the floor with Ot Elmore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston