Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 10:08 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutflyer View Post
Can you expand on this a little - the 35th street bridge I notice has a pedestrian walkway that one could walk/bike on. Is it dangerous, though?
The 35th Street Bridge does have a sidewalk that transitions into a spiral style ramp on the Capitol side of the river. It is rather narrow, so not ideal for biking but it is certainly possible. I wouldn't say that it is dangerous, but I see a lot of foot traffic on the bridge of people who some mind consider to be sketchy. Homeless people and addicts mostly. Not saying that they're always on the bridge, or the only users of it, but on numerous occasions I've seen intoxicated individuals causing a scene of some sort. Again, the sidewalk is narrow so can create some awkward positions. I used to run/jog across the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 11:09 AM

48 posts, read 36,572 times
I'm thinking of driving down and spending a week in town to get to know the area a bit - do a little exploring, etc.

I have this idea of making Charleston, WV a place I find refuge in the winter or something (I live in Minnesota) and since I can work remotely, it would be a happy medium between extreme cold (gets tiring) and extreme heat (this is a no for me). Plus proximity to hikes, etc.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:17 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Can you expand on this a little - the 35th street bridge I notice has a pedestrian walkway that one could walk/bike on. Is it dangerous, though?
You can- there can be somewhat of a bum element in and around but ignore them and you'll be fine. You cross it to get over to the East End around the Capital complex. Dangerous isn't the word I'd use- just be mindful of your surroundings. It's not like there's an army of them walking around all the time.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
You can- there can be somewhat of a bum element in and around but ignore them and you'll be fine. You cross it to get over to the East End around the Capital complex. Dangerous isn't the word I'd use- just be mindful of your surroundings. It's not like there's an army of them walking around all the time.
I work as an accountant for the largest homeless shelter provider in Twin Cities; I have a level of comfortability with being around homeless - particularly those with addiction issues [even though my job is remote, I work out of the shelter offices a couple days every week and volunteer there on my off time as well]. Plus, Minneapolis crime rates - especially carjackings - where I live has increased steadily over the past few years, so I have some experience living with this and being street smart.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:11 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Quote:
I work as an accountant for the largest homeless shelter provider in Twin Cities; I have a level of comfortability with being around homeless - particularly those with addiction issues [even though my job is remote, I work out of the shelter offices a couple days every week and volunteer there on my off time as well]. Plus, Minneapolis crime rates - especially carjackings - where I live has increased steadily over the past few years, so I have some experience living with this and being street smart.
You may want to look into this even though Charleston isn't currently in the program (as I understand it).

https://ascendwv.com/

Old 03-15-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
You may want to look into this even though Charleston isn't currently in the program (as I understand it).

https://ascendwv.com/
I was in the Oakridge/greenbrier neighborhood recently, looking at a property. I don't know anything about this neighborhood except that I found it pleasant at street level. Does anyone have any experience with this neighborhood? Is it nice, safe etc?

My concern would be safety/crime.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:56 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
I was in the Oakridge/greenbrier neighborhood recently, looking at a property. I don't know anything about this neighborhood except that I found it pleasant at street level. Does anyone have any experience with this neighborhood? Is it nice, safe etc?

Oakridge is a good neighborhood, as far as I know. Over the years, I have known several people that lived there. Upper middle class residential area. No significant problems that I am aware of.

Let me know when you're in town again.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:26 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:

I lived on Oakridge for 2 years, and I thought it was a good experience. It does seem that the further out Oakridge that you go, the quality of the neighborhood lessons. Makes sense considering the location of the school near the beginning, and the road basically dead ends at the end of the ridge. There's some really nice, but expensive homes at a subdivision called Woodbridge.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:45 PM

583 posts, read 592,933 times
I lived in Woodbridge about 10 years ago and I lived there for 6 years. Had lots of friends that lived in the Oakridge area and still do.

It's not a bad area but it is not a crime-free area either. Not a violent type of crime but there is some property theft crime there and it is mainly theft from breaking into vehicles.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:25 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I lived in Woodbridge about 10 years ago and I lived there for 6 years. Had lots of friends that lived in the Oakridge area and still do.

It's not a bad area but it is not a crime-free area either. Not a violent type of crime but there is some property theft crime there and it is mainly theft from breaking into vehicles.
I have some relatives in the Woodbridge neighborhood- it's a nice neighborhood but there is definitely an 'element' that lives in the Ruffner Hollow below that seem to enjoy driving around at night looking for vehicles to break into. They know it's a full of nicer homes and possibly an easy score. I think they at one point wanted to put a gate up at the entrance to the neighborhood but given there are at least 200 homes back there and Woodbridge Drive is road maintained by the City of Charleston that wasn't an option. Plus there was some gravel road on the back side of the neighborhood where you could drive down to the 'holler below. Not sure if you still can. Other nice neighborhoods along Oakridge are Pinnacle and Staffordshire- these are both smaller than Woodbridge but also have nice homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston