Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 08:22 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times

Advertisements

City and County officials are going to have a press conference today to announce a "joint venture" between the two that will allegedly be the biggest project that the two have worked together on. According to WCHS, this might have something to do with the Town Center. I also heard a reference to sports tourism, and I would not be surprised if it has something to do with a sports complex of some kind (ex: aquatic center).

This could be something massive for the city, or something that isn't that big of a deal! I am excited to hear what is being planned.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/news-c...kanawha-county

Edit: On a side note, I think that some kind of recreation facility with fitness, Olympic sized pool, indoor splash pad, etc. at the mall would be great! Keep a little bit of the retail and restaurants, and add an entertainment component like an improved Park Place cinemas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 08:31 AM

Here's a poll from WCHS that you can weigh in on what the CTC needs to be used for.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/poll-w...on-town-center

Old 08-24-2022, 08:38 AM

From Channel 13 (WOWK)

Quote:
13 News has learned exclusively that a planned announcement Wednesday by leaders from both the city of Charleston and Kanawha County is expected to significantly impact the Charleston Town Center Property.
https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/ex...n-town-center/

Old 08-24-2022, 12:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times
This is HUGE!

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...0a6656342.html

Old 08-24-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
You beat me to it!

Yes this is absolutely huge!!! Exactly what the city needed to do.

I also like how this is not taking up all of the available space. That means that other things can still happen at the mall like new entertainment options, restaurants, businesses, etc.

WCHS

https://wchstv.com/news/local/multim...on-town-center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvHcr8NzYg

Last edited by Chriscross309; 08-24-2022 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 02:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvHcr8NzYg

Old 08-24-2022, 02:41 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
This can be a real game-changing thing for downtown. My only concern is losing a whole parking garage at a time you are planning to build something to bring so many people to events at the complex.

Hopefully, they will add spaces somewhere else close the facility. A bridgeway over to Washington Street garage is nice but it is already used by Marriott and Embasy Suites if I am not mistaken.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
This can be a real game-changing thing for downtown. My only concern is losing a whole parking garage at a time you are planning to build something to bring so many people to events at the complex.

Hopefully, they will add spaces somewhere else close the facility. A bridgeway over to Washington Street garage is nice but it is already used by Marriott and Embasy Suites if I am not mistaken.
The Marriott has its own section of the Washington St. garage that will not be touched. Embassy Suites uses some of the spots on the ground level, but I do not think that they use any of the spots that are elevated above the road.

This may impact concert/event parking, but the CTC will still have 2 of 3 garages, and the Civic Center has 2 garages. Plus the bottom 2 levels of the Lee street garage will still be used for the sports complex, and possibly mall goers.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:55 PM

583 posts, read 593,911 times
Looks like there will be two levels of parking remaining/rebuilt on that side.

Perhaps now the new hotel needs to incorporate parking onto it’s lower levels.

Overall looks nice BUT…

The soccer field looks small. It also appears to have little viewing space.

Soccer is a money maker. Indoor tournaments are big deals. They appear to have added too much space for pickleball/tennis.

They need to rethink some of this to accommodate more soccer use.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Looks like there will be two levels of parking remaining/rebuilt on that side.

Perhaps now the new hotel needs to incorporate parking onto it’s lower levels.

Overall looks nice BUT…

The soccer field looks small. It also appears to have little viewing space.

Soccer is a money maker. Indoor tournaments are big deals. They appear to have added too much space for pickleball/tennis.

They need to rethink some of this to accommodate more soccer use.
I think that Shawnee accommodates soccer nicely. The area needs a diverse offering when it comes to sports. I like that they thought about basketball and volleyball tournaments. Currently the area doesn't have a venue large enough for those sports on that scale. One full size soccer field would take up the entire building.

We need to also remember that this is not just for visitors, but our local population to utilize. People want a place to play rec league basketball, have swim lessons, or run around a track. This will accommodate that.

It certainly isn't perfect, but it is a major improvement upon what the area currently has.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 08-24-2022 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston