Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Rad, Hope to see you in WV soon.
By-the-by, at our cabin in Canaan we have well water (really good tasting water) AND there is a place along the road near Davis where you can bring a plastic jug and get spring water for free.
We have well water as well at my parents house. Tastes amazing!!! and its free!!! There is also a place just two miles from my house where the water just runs out of the mountain. You can find people bringing milk jugs to fill up almost anytime you drive by it.

and my favorite is apple pie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 02:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Pecan is my fave, but every now and then I get a craving for strawberry rhubarb.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 AM

638 posts, read 1,849,091 times
Here'z uh list we'r knot on. Uh pearantlee Charleston is two hi too bee "affordable housing". Butt if'n it helps keep out four-in-ers, and uther riff raff . .

Affordable Housing Exists, If You Know Where to Look
Businessweek
2008/09/04
http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...-Where-to-Look

Charleston (from city data)
Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $114,000 (it was $101,400 in 2000)
//www.city-data.com/city/Charle...-Virginia.html

Being those are old numbers, I used my zip code (city data) for median priced home based on recent sales :
Median Value = 110,000
Average Value = 126,900

Being those are old numbers, I used these Charleston Zip codes (city data) for median priced home based on recent sales : 25301, 25302, 25303, 25304, 25306, 25309, 25311, 25312, 25313, 25314, 25315, 25320.

Median Value = 136,698 (calc'd)

2000 : 101,400
2005 : 114,000
2008 : 136,698

Talk to me in a year after the rest of America has collapsed an additional 10% to 20% of their home value.

Last edited by r601020; 09-06-2008 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Dun lissened 2 thim expirts

Gee, and I know it's not exactly park place on the monopoly board, but apparently a magazine has validated the fact that I've saved myself some exponential coin moving to Charleston, gained more peace of mind, less stress, less congested population, lower utilities, kinder neighbors who look out for me like I do them... the list goes on. "Less is more" is valued by somebody I reckon.

Of course, it's only real if a magazine says so, right R?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Of course, it's only real if a magazine says so, right R?
This is a bit off-topic, but I can repost it in that WV liberal conservative thread. Like omission of facts, there are two stories currently not in mainstream media.

1) Lawsuit filed 08/21/08 challenging Obama's eligibility to run for office. Process served 09/24/08.

Crickets . .

2) Neither the Democrat or Republican Party met the deadline for placing a candidate on the ballot in Texas. The statutes in Texas are clear, and therefore, the State of Texas will not have a Democrat or Republican candidate on the ballot for the presidential election. However, as of posting this, they are on the ballot, regardless. In being on the ballot, both the Democratic and Republican Party have proved they are "above the law".

Crickets . .

Those kinds of things should be front pages stories. We make decisions on facts.

I'm an uneducated, unfunded, and unorganized nobody . . and that in itself is a judgement against mainstream media everytime I have to research something for myself. Forbes omitted facts in their assessment -- real estate in Charleston is appreciating.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Well, amongst those crickets I have to say that technicalities aren't always the spirit of the law. Same way they 100% refused hillary's florida delegates over technicalities, then on appeal gave a meager % as a compromise= lame. I have to agree with texas on this one even if the letter of the law says otherwise. Had texas left them out, it would alienate texans from the process unnecessarily. Floridians raised hell, I can only imagine telling texans their vote doesn't count! No, Sir, I am NOT delivering that message to armed people. hahahaaa
Same with Obama's mothers age. I seriously question the timing of that suit filed and suspect it's nasty politics showing up right on cue. Disgruntled hillary voter or McCain camp? Time will tell.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 14,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
yeah don't worry about it, I spent 22 years of my life in Charleston and some of the neighborhood locations never made sense, at least from a directional standpoint. South Charleston is west of the city. North Charleston is adjacent (and on the same side of the river) as the West Side. The East End is in a much more southerly direction from downtown than easterly. Someone must have gotten a little confused...
Okay, I know it's old, but I have to comment. I've lived in and around Charleston all my life and the neighborhoods never made sense to me until I was fooling around on Google Maps one night.
South Charleston is on the south bank of the river, directly downstream from Charleston. Sort-of makes sense. North Charleston is on the north bank of the river directly across from South Charleston. The East Side is on the east bank of the Elk and upstream (eastward) on the Kanawha, West Side's on the west bank of the Elk. Easy!
Plus, like someone mentioned, the West Side wasn't originally considered a part of Charleston, although it's been part of the city since at least the 20's. Ditto North Charleston, although that was annexed considerably more recently (sometime in the 50's, I think).

Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well, amongst those crickets I have to say that technicalities aren't always the spirit of the law. Same way they 100% refused hillary's florida delegates over technicalities, then on appeal gave a meager % as a compromise= lame. I have to agree with texas on this one even if the letter of the law says otherwise. Had texas left them out, it would alienate texans from the process unnecessarily. Floridians raised hell, I can only imagine telling texans their vote doesn't count! No, Sir, I am NOT delivering that message to armed people. hahahaaa
Same with Obama's mothers age. I seriously question the timing of that suit filed and suspect it's nasty politics showing up right on cue. Disgruntled hillary voter or McCain camp? Time will tell.
A) If the Democrat nominee is allowed to be on the Texas ballot, I pass judgement on him for the greatest of all crimes : hypocrisy.

"Obama won his first election in 1996 by throwing all of his opponents off the ballot on technicalities."
Obama Played by Chicago Rules - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121918996082755013.html - broken link)

As for armed voters, if I was explaining this technicality to the people of West Virginia instead of Texas, I would say it's not your fault these political parties are playing games with your votes, and point out, you pay these people to know what the hell they're doing -- so aim the gun at the appropriate target. This actually would do more harm to Republicans than Democrats at the moment since the Democrats lead in the polls, and Texas traditionally votes Republican.

Corruption of law echoes in eternity.

Texas election statutes :
Election Code (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/el.toc.htm - broken link)

B) The person filing the suit has no qualms admitting to being a Hillary supporter, but has no sponsor in this other than being an individual, and noted, the Republican Party is waiting in the wings to file their own suit. In fact, this suit was filed with a restraining order to prevent Obama from becoming the Democratic nominee, which the judge over-ruled.

The reason behind this suit is not erroneous or malice. It points out the "unanswered" questions the media at large will not address with Obama, because they're not "asking" the questions. Journalism does not exist! The person filing the suit points out the Democratic Party itself should be viewed with recklessness that they didn't ask these questions. Note : experts who discredit these allegations are funders/supporters of Obama.

C ) The more you dig, the more lies there are. Example, Obama supposedly got his start as a civil rights attorney. So a civil rights attorney did research and found that Obama was never involved in any civil rights case, whatsoever. Nor did Obama list his alias' (former names) to the Illinois Bar, which brings up the next question, whether he should be disbarred. It wouldn't surprise me if that lawsuit arises too. I personally don't think there is much difference between Hillary, Obama, or McCain, however, I do care that in stark contrast to the majority vote for Hillary in this state, the delegates voted for Obama -- so give me the names of the delegates in West Virginia that did not vote for Obama, because whether intentional or not, at least they represented the people.

People everywhere on this planet naturally want to believe in their country, have pride and hope, and it's unfortunate that snake oil salesmen like Obama exist who can take advantage of that human interest. It's little wonder why people have a sense of feeling disenfranchised. I'm not raining on anybody's parade (except Obama's), nor am I trying to stop any lemming runs . . do what you want (America), you're entitled to your opinions and decisions. But to have a clear conscious, I will point out the cliff.

For the suggestion box (America) : Get smarter, faster.

Last edited by r601020; 09-07-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaDiablo View Post
Okay, I know it's old, but I have to comment. I've lived in and around Charleston all my life and the neighborhoods never made sense to me until I was fooling around on Google Maps one night.
South Charleston is on the south bank of the river, directly downstream from Charleston. Sort-of makes sense. North Charleston is on the north bank of the river directly across from South Charleston. The East Side is on the east bank of the Elk and upstream (eastward) on the Kanawha, West Side's on the west bank of the Elk. Easy!
Plus, like someone mentioned, the West Side wasn't originally considered a part of Charleston, although it's been part of the city since at least the 20's. Ditto North Charleston, although that was annexed considerably more recently (sometime in the 50's, I think).
Hooray - so glad someone finally made sense of this mystery.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Vec I did mention the orientation of the river theory a while back, but glad Sadiablo expressed it in a way that's more coherent.
The reason it occurred to me WV'rs went this way is the cultural habit of using intuitive muscles vs the mathematical mind leaning on grid systems of absolutes (True north orienting their lives). Roads are less likely to be built stoically following ridge lines, and more likely to follow the path of least resistance raised along a valley river bed. Trout don't care about scientific principles to leap their heights. They know what works.

R Please bring this to another thread. It has no relevance here, but is certainly relevant to the choices we have to make in this election as americans. For the record- I had to register as a dem even though I've been an independent since party inception to give Hillary my vote. Shall I be sour grapes complaining at what americans seemingly insist is a requirement of POTUS? Out lawyering an opponent is what it takes? Saint Carter is the bane of our existence?
Oh, and BTW, thanks for the brain stretch, even when we disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston