Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 PM

638 posts, read 1,843,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
. . Oh, and BTW, thanks for the brain stretch, even when we disagree.
Y'welcome. Have always been a natural at taxing patience too if you ever need some exercise Back at ya, I've been a Democrat until this year, but in disgust, changed my status to Independent, washing my hands of them. And that's all I have to say about that.

On topic Mr. Forbes . . here's Charleston flexing its muscle :

"The 2008 Met-Rx World's Strongest Man competition kicked off preliminary rounds this weekend, featuring 30 athletes from around the world - including two West Virginians."

World's Strongest Man
http://wvgazette.com/News/200809060421
The World's Strongest Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Hooray - so glad someone finally made sense of this mystery.
Happy to oblige!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,578,455 times
I agree, the directions do make sense if taken from the standpoint of the rivers. Although I must admit, I did like vecs theory that they might have been drunk...

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 09-07-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
I agree, the directions do make sense if taken from the standpoint of the rivers. Although I must admit, I did like vecs theory that they might have been drunk...
Granted, I'm new here, so I thought it was one of those magnetic pole things where the compass needle spins around. Or there is no world beyond Charleston, like Dark City, and we need to find Shell Beach.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,725,238 times
Mtneer whiskey road in suffolk cty long island has a lore. A wealthy man fell in love with a woman who lived on the other side of the county, so he hired a crew to cut a road to her house, inspired by a barrel of whiskey as a reward at the end of the day. Naturally, instead of cutting a road in a logical straight line, they took the path of least resistance, cutting thinner trees in zig zag fashion, to arrive at the barrel placed ahead of them marking the end of their (shortened) work day. They've tried to straighten it out for decades, but it's still a mess! hahahaa

R- I didn't know those zero gravity mystery spots were in WV until vec brought it up. I saw it in southern cali, especially out past catalina island areas where there were wild magnetic fluctuations at sea tripping up people who didn't have a gyro compass. Somewhere on land between san diego and LA is a mystery spot I saw in a AAA travel book just like WV.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 AM

194 posts, read 462,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated; cousins can be quite a bit different--------much more so than siblings.
Aren't cousins called fiance down in them parts??? JK

Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
Aren't cousins called fiance down in them parts??? JK
Cheeto <-- pro-amnesty

Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,725,238 times
Nahh cheeto isn't for or against anything other than perpetual self amusement.

I believe I've already met cheeto when I was 16 staving off the tadpoles of high school. It took me 3 minutes of politely listening before I told him to go self actualize. I see things have yet to improve.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM

170 posts, read 344,338 times
Default relocation near Charleston

I'm relocating back home near Charleston soon. Basically retired. I need some land, safe neighborhood, liberal area
Probably too much to ask, above.
Looking for 3 bedrooms 2 bath minimum. What would I expect such a scenario to cost? Living in Indiana now. What's the RE market like?
Any feedback is most appreciated.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,350,024 times
My real estate friends tell me that the RE market around Charleston hasn't been effected like in many other parts of the country - prices haven't changed much and houses are still being bought/sold.

As to prices - it really varies by the neighborhood and size of the house.
Goto West Virginia homes for sale, Buy a home, Sell a home, Old Colony, Realtors, Selling homes, Buying homes (http://oldcolony.com/index.htm - broken link) and do a quick search (on the right side of the screen) or for a more specific search, click on Change My Criteria on the page where your first search comes up. The site lists homes for sale not just by Old Colony but other real estate companies as well.

Take a look at WV Real Estate Gallery on the net as well. They also list homes For Sale By Owner or Assist to Sell.

For what is for sale now: Prices for 3 bedroom/2bath in Kanawha County range from $675K to $19,000, Putnam County about $350K - 40,000. Looking to sell my house and build so guess looking at RE has been a hobby the last couple years. I'd say that a nice 3/2 home in a nice area will run roughly about $180 - 250K, little nicer area and somewhat newer home about $300-$400, even newer home in more upscale neighborhood (which soooo many have tiny yards) about $400-$600.

Land around Kanawha and Putnam counties is pretty high. You may want to look at Lincoln County or Kanawha/Lincoln border off Corridor G. In case you don't know, Corridor G has become a huge shopping area.

MLS listing #118849 has 3/2 with 42 acres for $429,000.
Had seen one that looked like a nice house with pool on several acres not far from the Alum Creek area that looked pretty nice. Don't know if it sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston