Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times

Advertisements

Since it's been years since my last visit, all I get are gleems of sites and what my family tells me about. Last I heard, they were pretty much tearing down the Kanawha Mall and revamping it into an "open air shopping center" (strip mall).

Anyone have any links or articles on it? Amazingly, the Kanawha Mall has no direct web site that I can find, anyway, and I can't find any articles newer than when they started demolition on it a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
The DMV is doing something big/new. There's been a DMV office there for quite a while and a saleslady told me a lot of the construction is their office. As the following article states, the main HQ may be moving there. I wouldn't be surprised, especially since the DEP bought the movie theater across the side street and has revampled it for there main office.
Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - Business - Kanawha Mall to get new name, new look*

Yes, it is switching from "mall" to what we used to call a "plaza" format.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 AM

Just found another article, the DMV is moving to the Kanawha Mall. I'd say that is quite a boost for the mall.
"The state has signed a lease so it can move the Division of Motor Vehicles to the Kanawha Mall",
Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - Business - DMV signs lease for space at Kanawha Mall site*

Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Thanks for the article.

So, the movie theater next door to it closed and is going to be used by the State? Wow - things must be bad if a movie theater closed down! In this economy, people slow down going out for stuff like that, but here you never hear of theaters just packing it up.

I actually used to live across the road from the mall when I was in my teens in the early 1980s. We lived near Highland Hospital on 57th street. The mall opened while I lived over there and I got my first job there, too. It was putting exotic toppings on potatoes at a place called, "The Incredible Spud". LOL!

Note: Google Maps has just added street views to some of the Charleston area, too.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
It's not a bad thing in this situation that the movie theater closed. It was a dump anyways. New movie theaters have opened in Southridge, Cross Lanes and Teays Valley in the past 10 years to counter this loss.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:19 PM

I think the Marquee Cinema pretty much chased that old theater out of business. If it didn't, the other new ones for sure did it in. The old theater was the "old-fashioned" kind where you may or may not see over the head in front of you - not like the new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston