Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM

119 posts, read 429,001 times

Advertisements

We are looking at the areas outside of Charleston (Elkview, etc) as a potential place to move to in a year or two ( would like sooner, but will have to sell our house). My mother suffered a stroke 6 months ago, and is not able to live on her own. She does require some care, help bathing, uses a walker, has difficulty walking, with stairs, etc, but can live on a ground floor. She is currently in an assisted living facility. If I can convince her to move when we do (I moved her the 100 miles here after her stroke, when the rest of the family decided it was too difficult to care for her and abandoned her, and she has no desire to move again), I will need to find an assisted living facility.

I will do research online, but comments from people who have had their family members there, or who have worked there are always more valuable than the DOH's scores.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM

246 posts, read 880,209 times
There is a place in Charleston called Edgewood Summit that is REAL nice. Expensive though.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,371,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
There is a place in Charleston called Edgewood Summit that is REAL nice. Expensive though.
I've also heard of this place in a positive light but have no first hand knowledge of any of the assisted living places around Chas.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,311 times
There's several around here - Valley Center in South Charleston run by Genesis Corp who also runs a couple more of them here in Charleston, I just can't remember their names.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Thank you, I will look into them.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,422 times
Smile Assisted Living Facility in Charleston

Siamese,
A few years back we had to find a place for my 97 year old grandmother and we found Charleston Gardens, it off of Greenbrier St in Charleston. It was really nice. She had a stroke about a year after going there and fortunately, there is a rehab/nursing home right behind the Assistive Living Facility. Both facilities were relatively new, kept VERY clean (no smells) and had a lot of activities for senior citizens. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Wvgirlatheart;
Thank you for the info. If she does decide to come with us, I will definitely look into it. Right now she is talking about moving home with a part time care giver. I don't know if that will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston