Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 AM

119 posts, read 429,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
We might have some room, alice. You forget bigfoot done culled the herd down some. If'n newcomers would stop wearing garlic necklaces & tinfoil beanie hats bigfoot wouldn't be so tempted, knowing his penchant for italian food & shiny things.
I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:16 PM

246 posts, read 880,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
There is no room for newcomers to the area. Sorry.

I have to agree with this statement. All you liberal north eastern commie pinko scum stay out!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
I have to agree with this statement. All you liberal north eastern commie pinko scum stay out!
I'm not a liberal north eastern commie pinko scum. I, unfortunately, have been living for the past few years in liberal north eastern commie pinko scum territory and WANT OUT!!! But I'm originally from the south.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
AliceT does her best to keep "foreigners (not born in WV)" out. We love our state and don't want outsiders coming in and trying to make it a clone of their state. AliceT may disagree but the rest of us welcome others with open arms as long as they don't come here and make fun of our ways, etc.
I'm not a "foreigner." I'm originally from the south even though I've been living in the north for a while now. I hate it and want out!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I live in Chas but have been pretty much offline the last few days.

Crime - I feel it is a very safe area. We do have crime but using common sense helps a lot. A friend has had her purse stolen out of her car twice but both times she had left her car unlocked (was in town, not in her driveway). Most attacks/murders are drug related or domestic abuse. I've lived here over 20 years and have heard twice of someone being mugged in the mall parking garage. I wouldn't walk through town in the wee hours of the morning and there are some areas I would not walk through period ( I do however drive through the same areas and have no qualms about that).

Weather - Varies in intensity from year to year but overall it's not bad.
Winter: I am a snow coward (do not drive in it) but there are very few days when I won't drive. If we get, my guess is 3-4" overnight then the schools usually have a delay or close. 5-6" is a major snowfall for us. The temps can really vary from day to day - 50 one day and 20 the next. This has been a more cold and snowy winter than the last few years. I think we got close to 0 one day and near 70 another day. Overall this winter I think it's mainly been bouncing between 30 to 60.
Summer: It can get pretty humid. Temps are normally 70-90.

People: I think they are great. Of course, they will act toward you as you act toward them.

Jobs: Guess that really depends on what type and what pay you are looking for. There are plenty of jobs to be had but that doesn't mean an excess of high paying jobs or the "perfect" job. Networking connections and who-you-know are a factor. I can understand this - example: I worked in a large company and they hired a gal who seemed perfect - turned out she was a complete whacko. I can see why employers would rather hire someone who knows the person they are hiring.

Some previous posts with lots of info:
//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...leston-wv.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...leston-wv.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...ng-cities.html
Thanks for all your info. It's been extremely helpful.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
What behaviors/beliefs constitute being a liberal (north eastern) commie pinko scum? The county I live in (Herkimer) is solidly Republican, as are many in upstate NY. Could the term be applied to those living in the Northwest as well? Just curious, for if I qualify for this nomenclature by virtue of where I currently reside, I would like to know how I am supposed to act.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat View Post
What behaviors/beliefs constitute being a liberal (north eastern) commie pinko scum? The county I live in (Herkimer) is solidly Republican, as are many in upstate NY. Could the term be applied to those living in the Northwest as well? Just curious, for if I qualify for this nomenclature by virtue of where I currently reside, I would like to know how I am supposed to act.
They don't really mean that, and they also don't know that Upstate NY is among the most conservative areas of the whole country. I'd put Ulster County up against any county in Alabama. But they do have certain attitudes in the southern part of the State of WV that you might find somewhat offensive. You would be very comfortable in North Central WV or the Eastern Panhandle in every respect. In fact, there is no discernable difference between central Upstate NY and those areas attitude wise.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Oh, I know they don't really mean that, just having fun.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 AM

246 posts, read 880,643 times
Conceived in KY51, Why don't you visit Chas and look around?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Conceived in KY51, Why don't you visit Chas and look around?
I just might do that being as I've gotten to the place where I'm thoroughly confused as to where I want to move and I like what I've seen and heard about Chas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston