Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:10 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,530 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Chas. area from Northern WV. Looking for input on how local folks pronounce stuff. I.E.Kanawha (kanaw?) My wife says " Hurricane " is pronounced like Herikin or Heracun. What about Cabell County? Is that like cable, cow bell, or cobble? Anything else anyone can think of would be welcome.
Also, any info on neighborhoods would be helpful. Looking for under 100k, but have an aversion to burglaries and muggings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Ka-NAW-wuh
HUR-ih-kin
kah-bel

At least that's the way they sound to me.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Ka NAW uh

HUR ih kin

Cabble as in cattle but use the b in place of the t

Pinch = pench

Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
Looking to move to Chas. area from Northern WV. Looking for input on how local folks pronounce stuff. I.E.Kanawha (kanaw?) My wife says " Hurricane " is pronounced like Herikin or Heracun. What about Cabell County? Is that like cable, cow bell, or cobble? Anything else anyone can think of would be welcome.
Also, any info on neighborhoods would be helpful. Looking for under 100k, but have an aversion to burglaries and muggings.

I'm pretty sure everyone has an aversion to burglaries and muggings in Charleston and surrounding areas.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
I disagree with the sound of Kanawha. I hear most people say
kan na or kanaw are you stated
As to Hurricane - hear it every which way but mostly like the other posters said.

For under 100K - it's really hit and miss as far as neighborhoods - seems like good or bad neighborhoods are in "pockets". As a rule, you can find a nice neighborhood then the neighborhood is not so nice a couple streets over. You just need to drive around and check out the nieghborhoods and houses for sale.
Probably the most "infamous" for crime is the West Side but not all of the West Side is problematic.

Bad things do happen to good people, but the majority of the crime seems to be drug or family related. Stay out of the drug scene, avoid abusive relationships, use common sense, keep your vehicle locked (even at night in your own driveway and don't leave anything valuable in sight), don't go walking the streets in the wee hours, be at least somewhat alert, etc. and you shouldn't have any/much problem.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
People usually say Ka NAW uh so quickly that the last part tends to get less emphasis and it does indeed simply come out as Kanaw.

Hurricane is pronounced "Herrikun" for some unknown reason and it drives me insane everytime I hear it.

I've always noticed that many people outside of Charleston city limits tend to use the word "up" to describe the location of something....as in "she lives UP Coal River," "he lives UP Poca way," "they live UP Cambells Crick."

Crime in Charleston isn't bad although it gets a bad rap in other parts of the state for some reason. Yes petty crime does happen like everywhere else but it really isn't something to stay awake worrying about.

Under 100K in Charleston won't really get you a SFH in the prime neighborhoods like South Hills, Woodbridge, or Kanawha City but I'm sure you could find something on parts of the East End, West Side hill or the Montrose area of South Charleston.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
A HurriCANE is a storm. HURRicun is a town. Charles Manson once lived on Charleston's West Side, but I don't know of any crimes he committed while he was here (someone else may know). I've never known anybody that liked being burgled or mugged.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post

I've always noticed that many people outside of Charleston city limits tend to use the word "up" to describe the location of something....as in "she lives UP Coal River," "he lives UP Poca way," "they live UP Cambells Crick."
"Up" is usually short for "up-stream" or "up-river". Occasionally, "up" can mean "at a higher elevation" (but then that will also be up-stream, but perhaps not directly). It's probably all a hangover from the days when the rivers and streams provided the easiest paths for transportation.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 AM

307 posts, read 692,218 times
No body must live down the road, down in the holler or down yonder way. Every one must live up.

good lord.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM

No, I just didn't bother to give examples going the other way. If in Edray, you'd go down to Marlinton, down to Hillsboro, etc. Thomas is "down" from Davis and Canaan Valley. From Spruce, you'd go "down" to Bemis; the people of Bemis live "down Shaver's Fork" from Spruce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston