U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,748,106 times

Advertisements

$165,000 is peanuts in todays market...and there is government money available for restoration...

Sounds like a no-brainer to me...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 PM

65 posts, read 250,808 times
Default Morgantown

Have you considered looking at Morgantown? You have a captive market there with students and university employees. The town has been rated very highly in several recent surveys. I think your odds of success would be better in that market than in Charleston.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM

1,946 posts, read 3,843,982 times
Since the OP has stated he would like to remain in Charleston, i will throw in my two cents about possibly location and restaraunt genre.

A German/Bavarian style restaraunt would be nice. Possibly locate near Riverfront Park on Capitol St/Kanawha Boulevard junction. If you've seen a Hofbruhaus before then you know what i'm talking about. Cheap food and lot's of spirits attract people of all ages. Plus there really isn't anything like it in the area.

I would recommend staying close to Capitol St between Kanawha Boulevard and Lee Street to maximize traffic.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,032 times
Why don't you buy the old Southern Kitchen? Everyone misses it. You could also spend more money updating the decor since the kitchen equipment is already there.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 PM

63 posts, read 217,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesgould View Post
Why don't you buy the old Southern Kitchen? Everyone misses it. You could also spend more money updating the decor since the kitchen equipment is already there.
Actually, I had looked into it, but the cost of the property is just waaaay more than I want to pay.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 AM

How about a mobile cart street vendor?...work the hot spots at your leisure.
People like to see the white spoked wheels and a canvas canopy..bagels, hotdogs, philly cheese.
Even popcorn...the list is endless.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 AM

5,558 posts, read 8,046,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
How about a mobile cart street vendor?...work the hot spots at your leisure.
People like to see the white spoked wheels and a canvas canopy..bagels, hotdogs, philly cheese.
Even popcorn...the list is endless.
That's either something I can imagine would be funny in Charleston, or it is the best Idea I've heard since I've been a member of this forum.LOL

Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 AM

I have a friend in St. Louis who works his cart outside Busch Stadium...
Income is about 200k in a good year.
He winters in Ft. Lauderdale.

We have waterfronts being established in Charleston, Morgantown.
Several nice city parks where people congregate in the summer evenings.
The right food item would be a winner....I see these vendors in other places in the country and think they would do well here.

All it takes is a high foot traffic flow.
It's a numbers game: If 20 people walk by..one will buy.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM

16,841 posts, read 19,594,540 times
There is a guy in Martinsburg that vends hot dogs, soda's and snacks right outside of Lowe's. Always see him driving is old white 70's Nova. Story says he put his kids through the best colleges with that job.

I've bought many hot dogs from that guy. Always looked forward to it after spending dough at BLowes..

Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 AM

63 posts, read 217,903 times
HAHAHAHA I just a had a friend suggest this to me a few weeks ago! Honestly, it's not a bad idea, I'm just not sure it's my style. Also, I'm not much one for standing in the elements.

But it is MUCH cheaper than the resturant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston