Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:55 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,277,695 times

Advertisements

The investment is low...Permits and License should be minimal.

It's a new idea and can get free print and Special Interest TV publicity.

The right 'Quick Serve item and the right place to vend.

Money is money...sometimes a person has to go for the money generator and put ambitions in 2nd place...good luck.

Marketing?

How's this? In Fairmont, a local hotdog emporium hires young hotties with chisled bodies.
They wear tight hugging t-shirts that show their cleavage and all of their belly buttons.
The do serve a great hotdog and I've been going there for years...
Before the hotties came to vend, two old ladies in their 70's served the dogs...the big change?

How about volume?...

The old girls probably did 200 dogs on a good day...now, those hotties sell over 1000 per day and thats the average.
Just the truth and I'll bet some of you have been to Woody's...formerly B & L...but the same great sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM

19,474 posts, read 22,378,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
How's this? In Fairmont, a local hotdog emporium hires young hotties with chisled bodies. They wear tight hugging t-shirts that show their cleavage and all of their belly buttons. The do serve a great hotdog and I've been going there for years...Before the hotties came to vend, two old ladies in their 70's served the dogs...the big change?

How about volume?...

The old girls probably did 200 dogs on a good day...now, those hotties sell over 1000 per day and thats the average.
Just the truth and I'll bet some of you have been to Woody's...formerly B & L...but the same great sauce.
Yah- If I put on tight fitting clothing and expose my mid-section I'd be the model 'lumpy pieroghi vendor'.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 PM

63 posts, read 223,548 times
I could totally go for a pepperoni roll stand. I can't tell you how many times I've been struck with the sudden urge for a pepperoni roll and have to truck it to some gas station to get one.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 AM

Can you see a pepperoni roll cart in Ritter Park...or near the Marriott or Civic Center in C-town on a Brad Paisley night.

Oh, yeah..transportable food following the crowd = Cash

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,055,323 times
Bridge Road Bistro just opened up a Bistro Espress this week on the corner of Virginia and Summers Street in downtown Charleston. They make the food up the hill and drive it down to the new store, which acts as a kiosk.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:31 AM

6,003 posts, read 8,989,576 times
A small coffee vendor would be a good idea.

A little stand to get some coffee and maybe a pastry for the
hard working business men and women!

It would brew Dunkn Donuts!!! LOL

Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Somebody will use this idea...good for them...

How about you Chris? young businessman...could take the cart to Key West in the winter and miss the snow here...ha ha

Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 804 times
Definitely go for it. I've thought for a long time it would be perfect here. Especially if you put it near uc. I go to uc and i know all my friends would go. Or if you want to go with a franchise consider Boston Market

Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,984,474 times
Pick a growing area in which to operate it, not one that is losing population. Kennedy is right that Middletown Mall would be a good location. Just about anywhere in Morgantown would work too. Even Oshel Craigo decidede that
Northcentral was the future and opened a Todor's Biscuits here.

If I'm not mistaken, they actually had a classic 24 hour diner in Charleston until recently and it closed. It would be an instant hit in Fairmont or Morgantown due to the college crowds. It might work in Huntington too, but don't tell Tim I said so (just kidding).

Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,580,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPhoenix View Post
Basically due to the fact I can't find a job that will pay me more than $8 an hour, I am looking to open a resturant in Charleston. Yes, I'm very much aware that opening a restuarant is hard, most people say not to, etc.

Ideally, I'm thinking of a 24 hour diner somewhere in downtown. Stuff like burgers, fries, hot dogs, omlettes, typical diner stuff, with low price points. There are a couple of 24 hr. places, but IHOP can be expensive, and not everyone wants doughnuts.

I'm just in the beginning stages of exploring into this, and I would really like some opinions to see if this idea would be feasible.

Although I love my hometown, and would love nothing more than to see a greater appreciation of good food develop in the city I have to say the following about starting any food service business there: Terrible idea unless you're a chain or have a prime location with parking as people won't make the effort to go. Doesn't matter if you have the best food in town, offer it for an affordable price with many other shops and attractions within walking distance. People in Charleston want big portions, dirt cheap menu prices, a chain brand name attacked to it, and close parking so that they don't have to walk more than 10 yards to get to the door.

If you're a seasoned veteran of running food service operations its going to very difficult, and you'll have to be on hand for most of the hours of operation. No absentee owners, no hiring too much staff to do the work for you. The labor costs will suck you dry. I honestly wish the local climate was more conducive to supporting local restaurants as opposed to Darden Chains. Things appear to be changing very slowly, but isn't to a point where I would feel it viable to make a go of it in Charleston myself.

If you're dead set on opening your own place with your own style and flavor to it I wish you nothing but luck, but caution against anything that the locals would find to be "too weird". Unfortunately that includes just about any kind of authentic take on foreign cuisine. Even something as simple as a french bistro would struggle to find a stable flow of customers. Charleston could use a brew pub, or possibly some place that was dedicated to making good burgers (quality meat that you season yourself, well thought out toppings, and for the love of god a good hearty bun to put it on) for around $10 an entree. I feel that those two concepts are in demand and would have a better chance of remaining viable for a longer period of time.

Last edited by Q-tip motha; 02-18-2011 at 04:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston