Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
This is during a news broadcast? I think it's more often than that on some of the local news broadcasts. It's either before or after just about every break, it's been one of the headlining stories recently, because of the heat and heavy rains, it's on the 15 second blurb that airs in the middle of the longest break, PLUS the 5 minute weather segment.

I know for sure during the morning news and early evening news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:11 PM

564 posts, read 1,453,848 times
Wow I would have never thought he was not in Charlotte. They pull that off pretty good.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
Wow I would have never thought he was not in Charlotte. They pull that off pretty good.
It's really pretty easy, thanks to several things, including the chromakey wall.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:33 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Local news these days seems to follow a number of canned formats, and I guess that Charlotte has the worst of them. If you can get past the majority of reporters and anchors who basically scream so loud that you want to tear your ears out, you will be disappointed with the content. It's usually some combination of the following:
  • If there is no horrible weather or other similar event, then start out by reading the police report. Priority on sex, public figures and school teachers.
  • Put a few low paid reporters out on the road to say something while live. Bonus if they can find an uneducated person to give their opinion.
  • Read some news off the Internet or AP that doesn't have anything to do with Charlotte.
  • Spend 7 minutes on the weather. This will be mostly telling you what it did already. Patting themselves on the back if they actually got it right from yesterday. Then spend 30 seconds on the actual forecast.
  • Feel good banter among the news readers.
  • 1/3 on sports. Doesn't matter what sports. If there are not sports being played, they will find something like pig racing and redneck demolition derby.
  • Some human interest story or funny video off the internet.
This will be broken up by commercials with bimbos and their bimbo in training kids selling cars that scream louder than the news anchors.

There are two exceptions to this.
  1. If there is a thunderstorm, chance of snow, etc, they will preempt it all for this coverage. Things like putting cameras in cars and driving around Charlotte so you can see the wet roads. Or having a reporter slip on the ice.
  2. If there is golf on TV. Then there won't be any news. It's more important.
About 20 years ago I was talking to the husband of a producer of one of the local TV news. He said they were given the objective of making it appeal to adult with the education of an 8th grader. IMO, they have since probably lowered this standard.
Funny stuff, but true. I think the local stations all have a script the same as all the big oil companies have a disaster reponse plan - and they are all the same. Somehow you got your hands on a copy.

I do disagree about sports, though. It seems on most stations, with or without a blond woman sports anchor, sports is an after thought, givien about 1 minute or less of air time. I'm all for stories on local spors, even some high school, but most times they don't even mention any sport where CLT does not have a team. Even when it's football season, it's all about the Panthers and no other scores.

And apperently during high school football season, CNC feels that there isn't enough important news to air on Fridays so they cut their regular broadcast to less than 15 minutes with commercials to air a high school football wrap up show. This show is slightly longer than the 12 minutes they give the news.

Having lived in the NYC area before moving here, the local news shows there are almost like network news. Pretty good wrap up of world, national and local NYC news (since a lot of NYC news is national news) and a good wrap up of sports. But I now tell people I know why ESPN's Sports Center does so well after seeing "local" sports in several smaller markets.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM

339 posts, read 715,492 times
Re: Greg Bailey. He lives somewhere near me. I've seen him several times in person and he's quite attractive. He really looks skeletal on TV but he is not at all in person. He also seemed like a nice guy. I kind of have a crush on him

Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM

169 posts, read 475,673 times
I've only been here a year and stopped watching the local news about 6 months ago.

Charlotte's local news is all about and only about Charlotte.

I don't watch the morning news till 7 a.m. and the evening till 6:30 p.m. when network news starts.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 18,403 times
This stuff is hilarious. I watch the news now and laugh out loud. You guys made my day.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom View Post
I've only been here a year and stopped watching the local news about 6 months ago.

Charlotte's local news is all about and only about Charlotte.
Isn't that kind of the purpose of a local news broadcast though?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,863 times
Quote:
Put a few low paid reporters out on the road to say something while live. Bonus if they can find an uneducated person to give their opinion.
Lol, I have to say that made me laugh. Its -so- true.

I never really understood the point of news. Things happen, that is life. Yes its important if there is an escaped convict in my neighborhood. I don't know, I'm just not into gossip, I have bigger fish to fry.

Thinking about it, I think the last time I seen the "news" in any serious sense was when this guy was caught one hotel security cameras and killed that girl in their room. Yes, sorry for basic description, but it was simply annoying they played that video 5 million times in 20 minutes. Seriously, we get, I promise.
Just like the Rodney King thing in the early 90s. Did we really need to play that video over and over and over and over and over?

I don't understand the weather updates every 10 minutes. Further, especially when there is a snowstorm, they send reporters to Statesville, Monroe, etc and do a live thing from each of them. 'Yea, its snowing here' to "Yea its snowing here too" etc etc. Duh-huh! What do you think its doing? There is a storm covering half the state! Shrug.

The world is being taken over by stupid. It has been for some time now

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
a day without the news is a day without breathing. Gotta know what's going on in the world!!

But, that's when you watch the REAL news like the BBC....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte