U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,931,316 times

Advertisements

Maybe some of you who have recently spent time in other cites and watched their local news can tell me if this is the case elsewhere.

If I'm home I usually have WCNC local news on so I can catch NBC news and Jeopardy. In two hours of news broadcast from 4:00-4:30 and 5:00 to 6:30, it seems like 40% is about the weather, giving me an education of how weather works every half hour and talking about how much we want the weather to change (every single day we apparently want different weather). 30% is being told several dozen times what is happening on another part of the broadcast, and the rest is the same news 4 different times.

Today the news story most referred to was about a couple who rented a home to get married in, and then the homeowner reneged on his agreement. At least 6 times this story was mentioned throughout 4 different broadcasts, but the whole segment lasted only about a minute and a half, and said little more than the previous references to it.

My question is about local news in other cities. Do they follow a similiar pattern? Are they all like this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:28 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,207,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Maybe some of you who have recently spent time in other cites and watched their local news can tell me if this is the case elsewhere.

If I'm home I usually have WCNC local news on so I can catch NBC news and Jeopardy. In two hours of news broadcast from 4:00-4:30 and 5:00 to 6:30, it seems like 40% is about the weather, giving me an education of how weather works every half hour and talking about how much we want the weather to change (every single day we apparently want different weather). 30% is being told several dozen times what is happening on another part of the broadcast, and the rest is the same news 4 different times.

Today the news story most referred to was about a couple who rented a home to get married in, and then the homeowner reneged on his agreement. At least 6 times this story was mentioned throughout 4 different broadcasts, but the whole segment lasted only about a minute and a half, and said little more than the previous references to it.

My question is about local news in other cities. Do they follow a similiar pattern? Are they all like this?
In Philly, if it's a slow news day, yup.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:38 PM

8,692 posts, read 12,976,964 times
I guess you have to accept the market that you're in. I grew up watching the networks from NY and Philadelphia, then I lived in the area where Washington DC and Baltimore were the networks.

Now that I live here in Charlotte, I've found the news programs are horrible. Anyone remember the much hyped, deep investigative report that lemon slices in your tea may not be as clean as they can be? Or the hard hitting expose on what type of fish a restaurant serves versus what was ordered? How about WCNC's ability to beat a subject to death (United Way, ABC Board, etc.)?

I guess if they fill the time slot with weather, then they don't have to fill time with these earth-shattering new stories!

****Now for my personal rant****
The one person I really don't care for is that Greg Bailey guy that supposedly does sports for WCNC. Hopefully he got his job because he has kin that owns the station, otherwise management made a bad decision in bringing that talentless suit onto the payroll. I get more sports information from an old newspaper wrapped around a fish than I can get from this clown.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 9,707,156 times
Local news these days seems to follow a number of canned formats, and I guess that Charlotte has the worst of them. If you can get past the majority of reporters and anchors who basically scream so loud that you want to tear your ears out, you will be disappointed with the content. It's usually some combination of the following:
  • If there is no horrible weather or other similar event, then start out by reading the police report. Priority on sex, public figures and school teachers.
  • Put a few low paid reporters out on the road to say something while live. Bonus if they can find an uneducated person to give their opinion.
  • Read some news off the Internet or AP that doesn't have anything to do with Charlotte.
  • Spend 7 minutes on the weather. This will be mostly telling you what it did already. Patting themselves on the back if they actually got it right from yesterday. Then spend 30 seconds on the actual forecast.
  • Feel good banter among the news readers.
  • 1/3 on sports. Doesn't matter what sports. If there are not sports being played, they will find something like pig racing and redneck demolition derby.
  • Some human interest story or funny video off the internet.
This will be broken up by commercials with bimbos and their bimbo in training kids selling cars that scream louder than the news anchors.

There are two exceptions to this.
  1. If there is a thunderstorm, chance of snow, etc, they will preempt it all for this coverage. Things like putting cameras in cars and driving around Charlotte so you can see the wet roads. Or having a reporter slip on the ice.
  2. If there is golf on TV. Then there won't be any news. It's more important.
About 20 years ago I was talking to the husband of a producer of one of the local TV news. He said they were given the objective of making it appeal to adult with the education of an 8th grader. IMO, they have since probably lowered this standard.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Local news these days seems to follow a number of canned formats, and I guess that Charlotte has the worst of them. If you can get past the majority of reporters and anchors who basically scream so loud that you want to tear your ears out, you will be disappointed with the content. It's usually some combination of the following:
  • If there is no horrible weather or other similar event, then start out by reading the police report. Priority on sex, public figures and school teachers.
  • Put a few low paid reporters out on the road to say something while live. Bonus if they can find an uneducated person to give their opinion.
  • Read some news off the Internet or AP that doesn't have anything to do with Charlotte.
  • Spend 7 minutes on the weather. This will be mostly telling you what it did already. Patting themselves on the back if they actually got it right from yesterday. Then spend 30 seconds on the actual forecast.
  • 1/3 on sports. Doesn't matter what sports. If there are not sports being played, they will find something like pig racing and redneck demolition derby.
This will be broken up by commercials with bimbos and their bimbo in training kids selling cars that scream louder than the news anchors.

1. If there is a thunderstorm, chance of snow, etc, they will preempt it all for this coverage. Things like putting cameras in cars and driving around Charlotte so you can see the wet roads. Or having a reporter slip on the ice.
About 20 years ago I was talking to the husband of a producer of one of the local TV news. He said they were given the objective of making it appeal to adult with the education of an 8th grader. IMO, they have since probably lowered this standard.
Having been a broadcast tech in Philly I can say that more than one news director (Department head of the News Dept.) told me that they were instructed to appeal to 3rd grade level. It showed. There, too, if there was a mention of snow, an ice storm, or a hurricane, 2/3 of the program was devoted to that. If the weather event happened, coverage was all day until primetime with all station weather people/meteorologists present & every reporter on the street. If there were spare shooters available, they were sent out too.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I guess you have to accept the market that you're in. I grew up watching the networks from NY and Philadelphia, then I lived in the area where Washington DC and Baltimore were the networks.

Now that I live here in Charlotte, I've found the news programs are horrible. Anyone remember the much hyped, deep investigative report that lemon slices in your tea may not be as clean as they can be? Or the hard hitting expose on what type of fish a restaurant serves versus what was ordered? How about WCNC's ability to beat a subject to death (United Way, ABC Board, etc.)?

I guess if they fill the time slot with weather, then they don't have to fill time with these earth-shattering new stories!

****Now for my personal rant****
The one person I really don't care for is that Greg Bailey guy that supposedly does sports for WCNC. Hopefully he got his job because he has kin that owns the station, otherwise management made a bad decision in bringing that talentless suit onto the payroll. I get more sports information from an old newspaper wrapped around a fish than I can get from this clown.
Now, Stripes, if you've watched Philly stations, you know that nobody can bludgeon a story like 'CAU. Since I've been here, WCNC has collaborated with 'CAU on some stories where there are ties to the Delaware Valley. My suspicion is that either NBC placed some one at 'CNC, or someone there has aspirations to go to Philly, then the network.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM

604 posts, read 1,237,040 times
My favorite is the BREAKING NEWS.... SCHOOL BUS ACCIDENT!!!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,811,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Anyone remember the much hyped, deep investigative report that lemon slices in your tea may not be as clean as they can be?
Oh yes, this made quite an impression on me. I haven't had lemons in my water or tea at restaurants since!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,811,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
My favorite is the BREAKING NEWS.... SCHOOL BUS ACCIDENT!!!!!
Or school bus WRECK!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,931,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post

I LOL'd at this, because for every one of your points I can think of a recent broadcast that you described perfectly !

Thanks for all the responses. I feel a little less like screaming at the TV now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte